Jedi Knight Muse

Worldsmyths Million Writing Challenge Chatter

So something we decided to do was open up this section early so that we can try and get as much of an accurate count for participants in the challenge as we can before the challenge starts. if you are planning on participating in the 6 month word count challenge (aka Worldsmyths Million), please reply to this post! You don't have to do anything other than that, just chat with each other!

We have written up a set of rules/FAQs, which you can find here. There are still some minor things that need to be updated on it (such as information for advertising the challenge), but otherwise it's pretty finalized.

This is NOT the post that you'll need to reply to in order to pledge- that post will be a separate one from this one- but we thought it would be fun to have a post just for random chatter about the challenge- ask us questions, and maybe discuss what pledge you think you're going for, etc.

Again, please do NOT pledge your goal yet- we will let you know when you can do that.

As a note: right now this section is guest friendly (meaning they can view it), but once the challenge starts it will be made members only, since we'll be having threads for sharing excerpts of what we write during the challenge.

If you have any questions, you can ask me, JayLee[/member] and Manu[/member] in this thread.

I can help with this. Count me in on helping.

Thanks,

Roh

Help, or participate? We're not looking for helpers any more, we're looking for people to actually participate in the challenge itself, and just want an accurate count of the people who plan to participate.

Doesn't adding words to the 1 million count as help?  ;D

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying "help" as in "I volunteer to help as a moderator" or something. :P My bad. XD

I want to participate in the challenge and report weekly or so the word number I got to, but I won't pledge anything beforehand. I'll just see how it rounds and counts at the end :)

If it was a one week or one month challenge, I would have set my goals before. But for a longer one, I can't.

I would also like to participate. I will try to report weekly and i will pledge something (just not sure how much).

I want to participate in the challenge and report weekly or so the word number I got to, but I won't pledge anything beforehand. I'll just see how it rounds and counts at the end

The goal is to get everyone to pledge something towards finishing 1 million words. To participate, we do need everyone to make a pledge. I know it can be pretty hard to guess what you'll write, but that's what makes it a challenge. You could pledge the smallest amount, and count anything extra as exceeding your goal, if that makes you more comfortable.

I want to participate in the challenge and report weekly or so the word number I got to, but I won't pledge anything beforehand. I'll just see how it rounds and counts at the end :)

If it was a one week or one month challenge, I would have set my goals before. But for a longer one, I can't.

JayLee[/member] already replied to you about this, but the challenge is set up in a way where you have to pledge something in order to participate, 'cause pledging the goal is basically a huge part of the challenge. I have no idea how many words I may actually end up writing in six months, because I never keep track of that kind of thing, but I'm going to give myself a middle goal that I want to strive towards, and if I reach it, that's awesome.

If you read the FAQs, we ARE allowing people to increase their goals. So even if you set your goal to 70k in 6 months or something, you could still bump it up to 200k, which is the max pledge number, if you know you're going to get way past 70k. We're going to be keeping track of everyone's word counts in various Excel sheets, so that's why we need everyone to pledge a goal when it's time to do so, because otherwise it won't be accurate when it comes to the end of the six months and we have to know if we've reached the 1 million words or not. It also just makes things easier as far as keeping track of everyone who's participating goes, so that everyone's on the same page and such.

We don't want to discourage you - or anyone else - from participating just because of having to choose a word count goal to pledge, so I hope you'll still participate. But like I said, you do have to pledge something in order to officially participate in the challenge.

I saw the FAQ and it sounds good. I can pledge 330 words/ day. If I make more, it is... simply more to account. I won't increase the pledge, just report the results :)

I'm in :) I don't know how much I will pledge yet, but I should be able to get 10k per month written.

The pledges are just to give you a goal to work towards to keep you motivated. If you surpass your pledge goal, everything above will still be counted, you're not required to increase your pledge once you've reached it. If you don't need that extra motivation of setting a goal and are not sure yet how much you will write, I suggest simply picking the lowest pledge level to sign up.

I think this will be useful to help motivate me, so I'll definitely be taking part. I probably won't pledge a large amount, but every little helps, right?

Exactly!

I saw the FAQ and it sounds good. I can pledge 330 words/ day. If I make more, it is... simply more to account. I won't increase the pledge, just report the results :)

Yeah, that's totally fine! So that would put you at a 60k pledge for the six months. Like Manu[/member] said, you don't have to increase the pledge at all, but you CAN choose to do so if you wish.

I'm SO excited that there's so many people wanting to do this!

Okee.... so I have a question. One of my current projects is a graphic novel, and I don't want to put it entirely aside since it is a writing project. What does everyone think about counting it towards word count? Like editing? One hour of drafting counts for 1000k? Or do only the words I write count?

Okee.... so I have a question. One of my current projects is a graphic novel, and I don't want to put it entirely aside since it is a writing project. What does everyone think about counting it towards word count? Like editing? One hour of drafting counts for 1000k? Or do only the words I write count?

Hm...good question.

I think one hour of drafting counting as 1000k sounds fair. Manu[/member] what do you think?