Jedi Knight Muse

Discord Word War Schedule Discussion- March

So, March is upon us! Which means so is this million word challenge! :O Something we've mentioned that we're going to do during the challenge is hold word wars in our Discord server, and I thought that now would be a good time to start discussing possible days/times for the month of March (I'm thinking that having discussion threads for each month, rather than for the entire six months as a whole, will be easier, because people's schedules will be constantly changing) to hold word wars. Of course, if you're hanging out in the Discord and want to do some word wars, you're more than welcome to do so without it being scheduled- don't be afraid to ask others if they want to join in!

If you are interested in participating in word wars, please tell us the following:

[b]1. What time zone are you in?[/b]
[b]2. Are there any specific days that you generally know will be better for you during this month? (i.e. Saturdays and Sundays) Are there any that you generally know will be bad for you during this month?[/b]
[b]3. Are there any specific times that you generally know will work for you?[/b]

Hopefully this will help us figure out when to hold some scheduled word wars, though it might end up being more of a week-by-week thing (meaning we'll have to decide at the start of each week when to hold a scheduled word war) since people are in different time zones and such.

Edit: we now have a fancy new spreadsheet for you to add yourself to for word war purposes!

1. What time zone are you in? Eastern, GMT-5.

2. Are there any specific days that you generally know will be better for you during this month? (i.e. Saturdays and Sundays) Are there any that you generally know will be bad for you during this month? Um...it's 1,000% dependent on the week/day.  :-\ Especially right now since I'm trying to find either a part time job or a full time job.

3. Are there any specific times that you generally know will work for you? See above. My schedule changes each week, so one day I could be working until 1:00 PM and the next I could be working until 4:00 PM. But I'm usually around in the evenings, other than when I have meetings a few times a month.

So basically, me participating will be totally dependent on whatever's going on at the time for me. Hopefully that won't last much longer and I'll have a more consistent schedule soon.

Dunno if I'm splitting hairs or not because I've seen it both ways?

In the past I've seen Word Wars defined as an actual contest; "Who can write the most words in X amount of time?" Meanwhile, Word Sprints were defined as; "Write as many words as you possibly can in X amount of time." Basically, one's a contest, the other a writing exercise. In one you set out to beat other people, while in the other your competition is yourself, or possibly writer's block.

But then again, some people say Word Wars and mean Word Sprints and just use them interchangeably?

So, for those of us who have no idea how the site terminology works, what does Word Wars mean here? What are we actually planning?

Thanks katfireblade[/member] - I always thought a word sprint was if you write against the clock on your own and a word war was when you did it together with others, so thanks for clearing that up!

Whatever it's called, it's a tool that doesn't work well for me, so no need to take my time zone into account :)

So, for those of us who have no idea how the site terminology works, what does Word Wars mean here? What are we actually planning?

In this case, I think wars/sprints would essentially become one and the same, no matter what the general intent is. If everyone is posting their word counts together to see how much each person wrote in x amount of time, it probably becomes impossible not to be a little bit competitive. There probably won't be any rewards for "winning" the session, but whether one is writing to beat their own goals, or to write more than everyone else, they can still compete and get that rewarding sense of accomplishment. The goal would be to have organized time to "write now, write fast, don't worry about perfection." Does this help any?

I'll let Jedi or Manu say more since I don't use the discord, so won't be participating.

Dunno if I'm splitting hairs or not because I've seen it both ways?

In the past I've seen Word Wars defined as an actual contest; "Who can write the most words in X amount of time?" Meanwhile, Word Sprints were defined as; "Write as many words as you possibly can in X amount of time." Basically, one's a contest, the other a writing exercise. In one you set out to beat other people, while in the other your competition is yourself, or possibly writer's block.

But then again, some people say Word Wars and mean Word Sprints and just use them interchangeably?

Ah, okay. So, in my mind, a word war is basically where you're in a chat room with someone (or you're on Facebook messenger or whatever the case may be) and you set a specific amount of time to write for and decide to start at :00 or :30 or whatever, and then you write for X amount of minutes and then at the end of those minutes you tell the other participants how much you wrote in X amount of time. That is what I mean by a word war. But you're right, I think sprints and wars are interchangeable and basically the same thing. I suppose you could look at it as being a contest, only without a prize ('cause I have no prizes to offer :P ).

So what we're actually planning is scheduled word wars- specific days/times where we will gather into the Discord and have sprints/wars, whatever you want to call them, with each other. The more participants, the better, though one-on-one wars are fun, too.

The site technology will have nothing to do with the word wars/sprints/whatever you want to call them themselves- sadly we don't have the fancy software (or the money and skills to create the fancy software) that would be needed for anything like that (except for the Librarium that's supposed to have some features sort of like that, but that's a whole separate issue...). It'll all be 100% done on the Discord, with the exception of posts here being made to be like "hey, we're going to do some word wars for a few hours between the hours of X and X if you want to join in!" So basically you'd just be looking for an announcement here on the forum and on Discord and on the Facebook page/group about the days/times of the word wars, and that's probably about it.

Thanks katfireblade[/member] - I always thought a word sprint was if you write against the clock on your own and a word war was when you did it together with others, so thanks for clearing that up!

Whatever it's called, it's a tool that doesn't work well for me, so no need to take my time zone into account :)

Well that's sad that it doesn't work for you. :( I haven't done word wars in a really long time...not since AIM was still a thing. As far as I can remember, they worked well enough for me. XD

In this case, I think wars/sprints would essentially become one and the same, no matter what the general intent is. If everyone is posting their word counts together to see how much each person wrote in x amount of time, it probably becomes impossible not to be a little bit competitive. There probably won't be any rewards for "winning" the session, but whether one is writing to beat their own goals, or to write more than everyone else, they can still compete and get that rewarding sense of accomplishment. The goal would be to have organized time to "write now, write fast, don't worry about perfection." Does this help any?

I'll let Jedi or Manu say more since I don't use the discord, so won't be participating.

Yeah, they'd pretty much be the same thing in our case, but with no rewards like you said.

1. What time zone are you in? GMT+2

2. Are there any specific days that you generally know will be better for you during this month? (i.e. Saturdays and Sundays) Are there any that you generally know will be bad for you during this month?

It might vary. I'd say I am more available in the afternoons/ evenings though, not in the mornings. And the actual schedule differs from day to day, ie some evenings I'll be out at literary presentations or something.

3. Are there any specific times that you generally know will work for you?

As above. Week-end evenings more than others, maybe. And thank you for clarifying, because for me writing for half an hour together with others was the word sprint, and word wars were "post what you wrote today/ this week by yourself."

1. What time zone are you in?

This confuses me - sorry! UK time (GMT+1? I dunno but something like that)

2. Are there any specific days that you generally know will be better for you during this month? (i.e. Saturdays and Sundays) Are there any that you generally know will be bad for you during this month?

I am quite flexible really. Sundays are my 'free day' when I have a totally open schedule and plenty of time to write. Thursdays I am usually busy most of the day so that's not a great day for me. 

Almost every evening. That's when I normally write anyway. Kind of any time between 6-11pm.

England is GMT, together with Portugal. And ultimately Greenwich IS in UK...

GMT+1 is Continental Europe: Spain, France, Netherlands, up to Hungary.

1. What time zone are you in? EST (GMT -5)

2. Are there any specific days that you generally know will be better for you during this month? (i.e. Saturdays and Sundays) Are there any that you generally know will be bad for you during this month? Not really. Time of day is more of a concern for me than specific days.

3. Are there any specific times that you generally know will work for you? Late afternoon (like after 4:00) and evenings.

I made a thingy for you: Here's a spreadsheet where you can enter your name and time zone modifier and it will automatically adjust it so that everyone's time zones are aligned. Mark the times that work for you, and you're done.

Jedi Knight Muse[/member]  feel free to add this to the OP.

Edit: I marked Silver's and Ahryantah's time slots green already, though you should doublecheck if it's correct :)

I made a thingy for you: Here's a spreadsheet where you can enter your name and time zone modifier and it will automatically adjust it so that everyone's time zones are aligned. Mark the times that work for you, and you're done.

Jedi Knight Muse[/member]  feel free to add this to the OP.

Edit: I marked Silver's and Ahryantah's time slots green already, though you should doublecheck if it's correct :)

This is awesome, Manu[/member]! I'll add it into the post when I'm not half asleep like I am right now. XD

1. What time zone are you in?

CET - Which is currently GMT+1.

Weekends are better for me. I don't know how much writing i will get done during workdays or when.

From the 24th onward i will be unavailable for a week due to a vacation.

Edit: I totally forgot but i will only have decent internet connection for the first two weeks of the month. I might show up in discord even after that, but i will have to be more conscious about the amount of data i use.

Midday or early afternoon is probably better for me (2-3pm) but mornings could also work.

In regards to timezones:

Be aware that due to DST the GMT-modifier might change (f.ex. i'm currently in GMT+1, once we have DST it will be GMT+2). If you don't know your own timezone use this site https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ and enter a large city next to you. It will tell you the current time at that place and which timezone it is in.

Bump!

And yeah, MagicMagor[/member] is right- we just started daylight savings time today, so I THINK that might throw off the GMT-5 thing, but I'd have to check the link MagicMagor[/member] gave.

Edit: yeah, I'm GMT-4 now.