Jedi Knight Muse

What are you currently reading [2018]?

A great anthology came out at the beginning of this year called Robots Vs. Fairies and I highly recommend it!

I've been trying to read more new release fantasy and scifi and for some reason most of the stuff that came out since January I have been having a hard time enjoying. This collection of short stories was a breath of fresh air. I'm biased toward the fairy stories rather than robot stories, myself, but some of the best stories managed to incorporate both! My favorite was about a human librarian who works at a fairy library, where many of the books come to life. The protagonist is dating a book of poetry, and has to wake up old hunting and combat manuals in order to help on her quest to rescue her boss. Very original stuff.

I'm currently reading Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters series (I am about to begin the second book). So far, the animal-like portrayal of the dragons and the world-building (based on predynastic Egypt) that are what really suck me.

7 hours ago, Tyrannohotep said:

I'm currently reading Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters series (I am about to begin the second book). So far, the animal-like portrayal of the dragons and the world-building (based on predynastic Egypt) that are what really suck me.

Ooooh, that’s on my to-read list!!! 

I’m about to start reading Tower of Dawn and Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas. I recently finished The Dark Wife by Sarah Dremer. (It’s a really good fairytale-esque retelling of Hades & Persephone. Despite some of the more adult themes it’s still very fluffy and sweet.) 

I have a BUNCH more books that I’ve bought, though, and are just sitting around waiting to be read, haha. 

It's practically a crime among writers, but I don't read much anymore.

While eating I'm actually reading a book: The Language of Flowers. It's not fantasy, but it is incredibly beautiful about an orphan girl who is taught the language of flowers and is sort of finally able to really communicate with people through that language, and other stuff happens too.

While knitting or something I'm currently listening to a bunch of stuff on my phone, dependent on my mood: Worm audiobook (at time of speaking I'm at arc 26), We've got Worm podcast (currently listening to the discussion on arc 25), Critical Hit a DnD podcast, and Wheel of Time novel Lord of Chaos (the audio quality is really terrible). Over on audible I have several unread audiobooks but I currently haven't started in any of them. 

7 minutes ago, Romancegirl said:

While eating I'm actually reading a book: The Language of Flowers. It's not fantasy, but it is incredibly beautiful about an orphan girl who is taught the language of flowers and is sort of finally able to really communicate with people through that language, and other stuff happens too.

I think I have the companion book to that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mynoris said:

I think I have the companion book to that!

I didn't know there was a companion book? 

Just now, Romancegirl said:

I didn't know there was a companion book? 

Well I have a book that has a bunch of flowers and their meaning, and it says it was written as a companion to a book with that title, or a very similar one.  I'll go dig it up and check after lunch.

1 hour ago, Romancegirl said:

I think mine is already in the book 🙂 so I didn't know they did it separately first.

I bought mine because I was Role-playing a vampire botanist who liked to give people flowers as gift, with the hidden meanings intended.

I tried to add a picture, but it wouldn't let me. 😞

Edited by Mynoris

I'm not reading anything at the moment, that kind of falls away with NaNo, only so many brain cells to go around. But I've got a reading list waiting, Red Seas under Red Skys but what's his face, VE Schwabs trilogy about...magic and shadow or whatever. Third book of NK Jemesins Broken Earth trilogy...

Terrible at names but at least I know what I mean haha

58 minutes ago, Romancegirl said:

This morning I saw that it was The Hidden Language of Flowers 😛 By Vanessa Diffenbaugh or something. 

Mine says it's by Mandy Kirkby, but with an introduction by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.  

@Penguinball- I really enjoyed all the books you mentioned! I'm a big fan of Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series (for people who don't know, Red Seas Under Red Skies is the second book in the series - it's a really fun series set in a Venice-inspired world and it's all about thieves and trickery). I was also veeery impressed by N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy (although I thought the first book was the best - will be keen to hear what you think of the third!). And... I actually just finished reading V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series (starts with A Darker Shade of Magic) - also keen to hear what you think of that!

I'm currently reading The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (it's dark fantasy inspired by China's history and culture). I found the beginning super interesting and hard to put down (it starts with an underdog in an elite military school for people who like stories like that!), but then it hit a kind of weird point and my progress has slowed. My opinion of it will definitely depend on how well the ending is pulled off (although as I checked the author's name I saw it's a trilogy so we'll see how many threads are wrapped up...).

23 minutes ago, Amblygon said:

@Penguinball- I really enjoyed all the books you mentioned! I'm a big fan of Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series (for people who don't know, Red Seas Under Red Skies is the second book in the series - it's a really fun series set in a Venice-inspired world and it's all about thieves and trickery). I was also veeery impressed by N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy (although I thought the first book was the best - will be keen to hear what you think of the third!). And... I actually just finished reading V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series (starts with A Darker Shade of Magic) - also keen to hear what you think of that!

I'm currently reading The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (it's dark fantasy inspired by China's history and culture). I found the beginning super interesting and hard to put down (it starts with an underdog in an elite military school for people who like stories like that!), but then it hit a kind of weird point and my progress has slowed. My opinion of it will definitely depend on how well the ending is pulled off (although as I checked the author's name I saw it's a trilogy so we'll see how many threads are wrapped up...).

I read the first Gentlemen Bastards, its a huge influence for my WIP. That and... oh I just forgot the name. Eli Monpress books? With the spirits? Anyway.

NK Jemisin has set a new standard! Her characters are so good, I didn't even like half the people but I was still compelled to follow their journey. I'm happy to say I TOTALLY MISSED the twist about the main character's identity and the relationship between the different POVs and happily slapped myself on the forehead when it was revealed.

I think Shades of Magic is next on my list, I got the box set half off on Black Friday and I haven't even taken the plastic off yet.

I think I've heard of The Poppy War but couldn't tell you anything about it, it sounds interesting! Let me know what you think.

I keep agreeing to read books my husband recommends and only reading a little of them, but this time I'm determined to finish. He has me reading The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. The magic is really unique -- kind of hard to clearly picture at the moment for me, but I'm only a few chapters in. Definitely interesting! I tried reading his Night Angel books originally and didn't really like his writing style, but he seems to have improved some with this book.