Sign in to follow this  
Penguinball

Best Fantasy Novels

Two parts to this. First is this site - http://bestfantasybooks.com/ This is an interesting site, they host many many lists of different fantasy genres that users can vote one. 'Best' might not be the most accurate word, maybe 'most popular'. But I still find it interesting and a good launchpad to find some books. Especially since Goodreads is a crapshoot these days. There are a bunch in their Core Top 25 that I find interesting choices, like Lev Grossman's The Magicians (maybe the TV show boosted the popularity). I liked seeing Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus and Sergei Lukyanenko's The Night Watch. I don't agree with Martin's A Game of Thrones being #1 but that is a personal preference. There are a couple I've never heard of before too, like Robert Jackson Brown's City of Stairs or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Second part, what is your own Top Ten most favourite/best list? I am always interesting to see others, mine have definitely shaped my writing. Some are particular series, some are just the authors, so in no particular order:

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Neil Gaiman

Garth Nix

Guy Gavriel Kay (especially the Fionavar Tapestry)

Charles de Lint

Sara Douglas's The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redemption (other series are on my to read list)

Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast

Redwall series by Brian Jacques

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit by that one guy

Diana Wynne Jones

My Top Ten-ish

Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson)

Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson)

Shades of Magic (V.E. Schwab)

Powder Mage Trilogy (Brian McClellan)

Lord of the Rings

Ashtown Burials (N.D. Wilson) - less-well-known YA fantasy with a lot of religious symbolism, but I absolutely love the series

The Wheel of Time

A Monster Calls (Patrick Ness) - not strictly fantasy, but the surreal elements are strong enough that I'm putting it here

Wars of Light and Shadow (Janny Wurts) - I've just started this series, but so far it is excellent

The League of Princes (Christopher Healy) - this is NOT serious fantasy by any stretch of the imagination. It's a trilogy about the fairy tale princes from Rapunzel, Cinderlla, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White and they are all bumbling idiots who somehow manage to save the world. Repeatedly. It's hilarious.

Fablehaven and/or Beyonders (Brandon Mull) - good YA fantasy, probably the series that really hooked me into the genre

(I know that's eleven, shh)

The League of Princes (Christopher Healy) - this is NOT serious fantasy by any stretch of the imagination. It's a trilogy about the fairy tale princes from Rapunzel, Cinderlla, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White and they are all bumbling idiots who somehow manage to save the world. Repeatedly. It's hilarious.

This sounds great, I will try and find it and check it out.

Awesome question and cool list on the website! Although, I definitely agree with you that A Game of Thrones probably shouldn't be top of the list. Also, why isn't A Wheel of Time in their Top 25 List?? (Also I definitely recommend Robert Jackson Bennett's A City of Stairs and the whole trilogy, particularly if you don't mind science fantasy/a dash of sci-fi/grunge/urban/etc!)

In no order, my top ten is:

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

A Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and the final books written by Brandon Sanderson)

The Black Magician (first) trilogy by Trudi Canavan

The Books of Pellinor series by Alison Croggon

The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson (and particularly the first book The Way of Kings)

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

These are all books or series that have definitely influenced who I am as a fan of fantasy and as a fantasy writer. What a difficult list to come up with! There's quite a few honorary mentions that I'd love to add, but I'll stick to ten. :D The first seven books/series are ones that will probably stay on my top 10 for a long time (and have been there for a long time), while the last three are a bit more recent additions, but they're the ones that are really on my mind now so definitely deserve to be there.

These are all books or series that have definitely influenced who I am as a fan of fantasy and as a fantasy writer. What a difficult list to come up with! There's quite a few honorary mentions that I'd love to add, but I'll stick to ten.  The first seven books/series are ones that will probably stay on my top 10 for a long time (and have been there for a long time), while the last three are a bit more recent additions, but they're the ones that are really on my mind now so definitely deserve to be there.

That is how I approached it too, what really stuck with me. This would be waaaay longer if it was just books I loved. I looked through some of the lists on that website when I was making my list and was like OH YEAH I could add that, and that, and maybe this author... But the ones I listed are ones that will stick with me always.