Sign in to follow this  
Penguinball

World of The Star Mirror

Naming this after my current story, the world doesn't have a proper name yet. Naming things is really my downfall.

Anyway to explain this world let us go back to the beginning of time (hah). In my world there was The Big Bang. Not only was a great deal of energy and material released to form galaxies and stars etc there was another kind of energy, an unnamed energy of life and magic. This energy coalesced over time and the blobs of energy gained sentience, becoming gods. They roamed the universe and some came to a world teeming with life. The world already had a dominant intelligent race, dragons, which had some of the divine life force but not to the same extent the gods did. There were other creatures on this world, like early humans, reptiles, birds, beasts, etc.

These living things inspired the gods and they took physical form, each inspired by different life forms. The gods grew fond of these non-divine creatures and shaped their growth and development, imbuing them with tiny amounts of the divine life energy, granting them intelligence. This led to the development of several intelligent races, included but not limited to humans, an aquatic race, a winged race, a race with a variety of beastly features, maybe others in future stories. Some gods chose to become the patrons of each race, others found inspiration in the elements, oceans, lightning, wind currents etc, and chose to rule those instead.

As the races grew and prospered they carved out lands for themselves and countries were formed. Wars followed, with terrible bloodshed as the gods sought to bring supremacy for this favoured race. The land was torn asunder, some races and gods were wiped out, and many lives were lost. As a result a peace was declared, no more would the gods interfere directly with mortal affairs. If they chose they could pick a mortal to become their avatar, imbuing with a portion of their divine power to do their will. The other gods kept a close eye on these avatars though so they aren't used often.

In the current time the land is fairly settled. Some races are friendlier with each other, others have political tensions and trade embargoes. Outright war is avoided, though the humans and the Nightlanders have a kind of cold war happening. Avatars are few and far between but many of the gods bestow Gifts on their priesthoods and chosen followers. The followers of the Goddess of Healing have a healing touch, though it requires the fantasy equivalent of a doctorate to use (need to understand the human body). Followers of a war god have increased stamina and strength, the followers of the Grey Lady can see the future, and so on. Only one Gift can be bestowed per person, the gods are jealously protective of their followers.

Races - Each has its own culture, political outlook, quirks. None of the races can interbreed, except through dark magic intervention (squick):

Humans - Favored by the Goddess of Healing, Atira. Numerous and protective of their borders, humans are natural innovators who have shaped the land to their will. There are several subgroups, like those that live in the desert, foothills, or plains, which have their own patron gods.

Nightlanders - Favoured by Night Queen and her sister the Moon. They live on an island blessed with darkness, 7 towers surround their island, blocking sunlight except for a few hours at noon (for the crops). They have rising tensions with the humans, who live on the main continent directly south to them.

Aquatic Race - Favoured by the Ocean King. Haven't decided it they are going to be more mermaid like or more Creature from the Black Lagoon/Shape of Water like. They live in coastal waters and trade with all races equally with fish and treasures for the deep. Don't have strong friendships with any of the surface creatures, their point of view is too different.

Winged Race - Favoured by the Wind God. Winged, slender, with hollow bones. Suspicious of humans but not openly hostile, some trade still happens. Most friendly with the beast races. They live in mountainous regions and keep to themselves.

Beast Races - Several races that share territories, each with different animal features. Haven't fleshed these folks out too much, might drop them.

Dragons - The first and oldest race, and they haven't forgotten it. Not associated with any god, they are a force unto themselves. Several elemental varieties, like ocean dwelling dragons, flying ones, ones that dig below the earth. They have their own magic and are able to shift into any race they choose, but generally choose not to. They see interacting with other races as somewhat degrading.

Spirits - insubstantial elemental spirits, shards of divine energy too weak to take a physical form. Not very smart, most have been taken under the wing of various gods and given tasks (driving the winds, steering the tides, helping the trees grow). They can be summoned and bribed to perform tasks for mortals without magic.

Brief overview of story (more in the Projects section):

Book One - Increasing tensions among races lead to concern among the gods. Atira fears for her patron race of humans and takes increasingly severe steps to protect them, resulting in open war. She uses her star mirror to create a great barrier over the human lands, blocking out the other gods and races.

Book Two - Several generations of humans have been born inside the barrier and knowledge of other gods has been strongly suppressed by Atira's ruling class of priests. A god is trapped halfway between the barrier and the rest of the world, he whispers to the humans and recruits followers with the goal of bringing down the barrier. His hidden priestesses sacrifice spirits and give blood in his name, strengthening him. Conflict between this blood god and Atira result in the barrier being shattered.

Book Three - Much has changed since the humans have been locked away and their reappearance kindles tensions. The fighting had continued and in order to even the playing field several gods through a suicide pact granted magic abilities to 10% of all races. The gods have agreed to take further steps back and let the mortals sort out their own troubles with their new powers. The humans must now integrate back into the world and find their footing. (this story isn't as developed).

Ooo, I like it! Particularly the whole "shutting the humans off for centuries" bit. Plus that the "good" deity (I'm assuming Atira is benevolent) accidentally makes a mess of things.

Have you tried experimenting with other languages and mythology to come up with names? I like to find words that have some sort of meaning to the setting and play with them. Example: I have a water-based world where the names of the different tribes are all based on ancient water deities. My current world's name is made from smashing the Spanish words for "earth" (tierra) and world (mundo) together - Terramun.

Ooo, I like it! Particularly the whole "shutting the humans off for centuries" bit. Plus that the "good" deity (I'm assuming Atira is benevolent) accidentally makes a mess of things.

Have you tried experimenting with other languages and mythology to come up with names? I like to find words that have some sort of meaning to the setting and play with them. Example: I have a water-based world where the names of the different tribes are all based on ancient water deities. My current world's name is made from smashing the Spanish words for "earth" (tierra) and world (mundo) together - Terramun.

That is kind of how I came up with Thalassa, its from the base word for Thalassaphobia, which in turn derived from an old greek goddess. She has a lot of water themes in her characters so 'fear of deep water and what lurks there' is appropriate.

For other names its more like...a lack of willingness to commit. Naming something feels so permanent, even though I know it isn't. I've got to just sit down and play with some name generators and settle this thing.

Sign in to follow this