electric

Hello there, Wordsmyths!

yaay I love templates, I never know what to say when I introduce myself!

Basics

Name/Pen name: electric/Emily

Age: 20 (it's weird to put that down, I'm no longer a teen lol)

State/country: I'll either be in MA, OH, or CPH

Education: Currently getting a Bachelor's in Urban Studies

Hobbies and Favorites

What are your hobbies? Writing! aha, reading, playing tennis and working out, D&D, and, well, working

What is/are your favorite book(s) and authors? My favorite series is the Seraphina series by Rachel Hartman, and my favorite book is My Antonia by Willa Cather, I also love Naomi Novik and Terry Brooks

What is/are your favorite movie(s) and TV show(s)? I have a few favorite movies, but my all time trashy-fav is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, my favorite shows are Critical Role, Criminal Minds, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Writing

How long have you been writing? Since I was in the first grade!

What was the first story you wrote that you remember?

-Is it finished?

-Have you ever let anyone read it?

-What genre (romance, fantasy, etc) was it?

Okay, so when I was in said grade, I wrote a short story about four middle schoolers who met a ghost that gave them superpowers. I still have it on it's original sparkly skull notebook paper, and I think I planned to write a full novel when I was 9-ish. I don't think anyone but my mom has ever read it, and I don't plan on ever finishing it, but I like to look back on it every once in a while because it's just so darn cute.

Who is your favorite character that you've written about?

Oh gosh, this is tough, but my favorite character I’ve written about is in the novel I’m currently trying to work on. Her name is Raveena, Rav for short, and she is a Draaconess, which means she rides and communicates with dragon-like creatures.

What is your favorite fantasy world you've created? Feel free to tell us about it.

I created a post-apocalyptic sort of fantasy world where people lived in caves dug out from the Grand Canyon after nuclear fallout, so it’s pretty sci-fi-y, but still in the realm of fantasy. It was cool to be able to incorporate the real world with the fantasy world.

What fantasy project(s) are you currently working on? How's it going in terms of progress?

I’m currently working on two things, but I’m trying to finish my novel hesitantly titles The Ship at the End of the World first, and then move on to my second project, The Library in the Mist (also a working title). Both are going...well... slowly, but I just recently got inspired to fire up my pens and notebooks again and continue to trudge forward in glory.

Do you plan on taking advantage of the beta reading section?

Possibly yes, but that is a long ways in the future at this point!

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo?

-How many times?

Yeaaaah boooy, although I've never won, I've participated in the Og NaNo 5 times, and in Camp NaNo 3 times.

What genres were your NaNos?

Fantasy, sci-fi, a hybrid of those two, and fantasy again. I’ve also done some Camps where I just focused on poetry or writing something every day.

Did you finish the actual story by 50,000 words, or just reach 50,000 words but not be actually finished?

Ah...neither.

Are you planning on participating this coming November?

I’ll be studying abroad then, so I don’t think I will be seriously participating, but I love to keep up on the forums and still write at least something. I think I will do this July’s Camp NaNo, though.

Other Stuff

How did you find out about Worldsmyths?

-What made you decide to join?

-Have you told anyone else about it?

Through the NaNo forums! I joined because I enjoy writing fantasy, and I’ve been looking for a year round community of writers (that’s free and looks well made), for a while so this seemed perfect. I haven’t told anyone about Wordsmyths yet, both because I only joined yesterday, and because I don’t have many other similarly interested writing friends, my one friend who does write usually writes regency or contemporary.

What do you hope Worldsmyths will help you accomplish in terms of your writing goals?

I hope, for one, that it can be a place where I can chat about writing and things that I enjoy with like-minded people, and that hopefully I can find some motivation and drive to finish my current projects. I’d also love to read other people’s works, participate in challenges, and help inspire other people!

Welcome, Emily!

State/country: I'll either be in MA, OH, or CPH

Oooh, someone from the east coast (I'm guessing)! I'm in Connecticut!

I hope you'll enjoy it here, and will join us in the Discord server! We're a small community but we're pretty active and we have fun. :D If you have any questions or anything, don't be afraid to ask, either. :)

Also, both of your projects sound pretty cool. I hope you'll submit something from them to the library for us to read. :D

Yahoo!! Yep, raised in Massachusetts! East coast represent!

Thanks for the hearty welcome!

Yahoo!! Yep, raised in Massachusetts! East coast represent!

Thanks for the hearty welcome!

I lived in MA until I was three and then we moved down to CT. XD There was a point where we almost moved back up to MA, I think for my father's job, but that ended up not happening. My sister lives up in MA, though, and aunts and cousins who live up there.

Hello and Welcome! I'm Penguinball. I'm the lone Canadian representative as far as I know.

We have a cabin started for July Nano so if you want to join let us know!

All previous forum posts are welcome to be resurrected so feel free to dig deep into the older discussions :)

Hi and welcome :)

Feel free to ask questions if you need help with anything, you can poke me nearly any time on discord if you like. Also, we don't have a necroing rule, so if you see an old post you wanna comment on, go ahead and revive it :)

Greetings from the resident Romanian vampire! (or so the people say... I am not a vampire, nor Vlad the Impaler was one).

I love My Antonia too! And her other book, translated here something like The Conquerors of the Prairie. And I also write since first grade - that story of mine was about a witch flying over a man and turning him into a rabbit.

Also I love the name Emily - in a few of my stories, the main character is named Emilia and usually called Em. In others I have a Roxana or a Marina as main character.

Yay!! Penguinball[/member] and Sheepy-Pie[/member] thanks for your warm welcomes here and on the Discord!! I'll be sure to hit both of you up with any questions (heading over to the camp nano page now)!!

Elena[/member] yas I love Willa Cather's descriptions of just about anything and thank you, it's taken me a while, but I quite like the name Emily too :)

Welcome! ♥

I wasn't expecting much when I saw Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but I was pleasantly surprised and entertained by it! I LOVE the idea of sisters training in martial arts together.

And I never knew I needed Mr. Darcy in leather but honestly, you can't go wrong there XD

I remember reading My Antonia and being utterly spellbound by that book. It's been a long time since I read it but I'll never forget the contented little dreamy haze that I wandered around in for a while after reading it.

I look forward to seeing what stories you cook up with tastes in literature and movies! ;)

mathgnome[/member] thank you!!

ravenwitch[/member] that's the perfect description for My Antonia, a dreamy haze! :)

Can't wait for more adventures, and welcome to you too!!

Hi electric!  I love your idea for your post-apocalyptic setting story set in the Grand Canyons.  I would love to read that sometime.  I’m new here too, I just joined yesterday actually.  It’s nice to meet you.

Aha!! nice to meet you too! If I ever actually start working on that project again I'll let you have a read!!

I don't think I've introduced myself here yet, so I guess it's time. My name is Karen and I'm considering using the pen name of Allyn Ransom. I earned a BA in English in the 1980s but gave up on the idea of writing because my name wasn't Asimov or Tolkien. I worked in a library, a courthouse, and at a once-popular store until 2015 when circumstances made it necessary for me to quit to care for my father. I decided that since my basic needs are being met and caregiving doesn't take 24/7 even when it requires one to be on duty 24/7, that it was time to revisit my dream of writing.  Lacking the expertise to write in any other genre, I chose fantasy even though I haven't been reading fantasy. I've spent the last three years working on what has turned into a trilogy: Legacies of the Dragon. The first book: Earth Fire, is resting until December. At that point, I have to edit it within an inch of its life so it's ready to hand off to a professional editor in January. The second book,  Soul Fire is resting during November. I will resume revisions in December or January. My NaNoWriMo project is to write as much of the rough draft of Word Fire If anyone is interested in beta reading Earth Fire, here's the google docs link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nQfDIMgLYeQyVCzZho6B5mu11phGbs4dVINI-7BrcX8/edit?usp=sharing

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.