Sign in to follow this  
FoolishGold

Why did I start writing a mythology??????????????

I wanted to have elves, and I wanted them to all live underground, but I couldn't figure out why they'd live there. SO I decided to have a pantheon of deities and one of the goddesses forced them underground, which led into me coming up with a creation story and now I can't seem to stop even though it's never going to have any relevance to the story aside from a few throwaway lines

How the heck do I stop myself from writing about the deity of love who ends up falling in love with the goddess of mischief?????

(Before the world as Acuarans know it began, there was just Terubius. Terubius was everything. A deity before deities really existed. But Terubius got bored, so it split off part of its essence and the universe was born. One moment Terubius was alone, and then it had infinity to play with. It chose the planet Acuara to focus on first. This decision caused the twins gods Astante and Litsune to form, the gods of the sun and moon respectively. Losing so much essence at one time caused Terubius to be weakened and the first deity began to be ignored by the only two other living beings. Litsune saw a nearby planet covered in tides and created oceans on Acuara. He laid claim to his new creation, but it had the side effect of creating weather, at which point Beala, the weather goddess, sprung into existence and weakened Terubius further. Linkell the god of Acuara and the land came into existence around this time, but details are shaky. Under the influence of these four, life begins on Acuara and more deities are born as plants grow and animals spread over Acuara. Terubius gradually weakens until it might as well not exist. Beala is a selfish and passionate goddess, and she creates the elves somehwat in her image to worship her. The last part of Terubius turns into the twins Tekala, the goddess of death, and Natriel, the deity of love. Astante had a series of flings, which definitely produced Ashana, goddess of farming, and Tasket, deity of smithing, but likely produced several other more minor deities as well. Gradually time passed and the elves grew lax in their worship of Beala, and she sent floods of storms across Acuara, driving them into cave systems where the rains formed interconnecting rivers. The other deities helped the elves survive, supplying them with materials and equipment to rebuild their homes on the caves. Eventually Beala calmed down and begged the elves to return to the surface, but the elves were wary and refused. In order to stop Beala from completely flooding the caves, Natriel created humans to worship all deities. Which is also why there are very few elven clerics and paladins.)

Have no shame! Mythologies are great.

But in all seriousness, if you really want to write about the deity of love falling in love with the goddess of mischief, do it! Short stories and companion novels are the perfect place for it to thrive!

If your brain is coming up with tons of ideas, embrace them :) even if it means two stories! Something is obviously working :)

Keep writing it down, you never know when it might come in handy!

I’ve started writing some of my world’s myths down and I’m planning on either using them as prologue/interludes or taking little paragraph long chunks and putting them at the start of each chapter.

Some people find mythology and stuff to be bloaty info dumps.  Other readers, like myself, LOOK for those sort of stories.  Ones with complex mythologies to rival real world myths.  So keep those words, even if you have to add them to a separate file from your main work.  You never know when it might come in handy.

Sign in to follow this