Jedi Knight Muse

Lines and Quotes From Your NaNo

Share some of your favorite lines/quotes (up to two or three paragraphs- nothing super long!) so far from your NaNo! I'll go first.

Alana followed her gaze, her eyes wide as she watched the many glowing lights below them flitter around. One of them floated up and toward her, stopping inches from her face. The same childlike face of the fairy scout, Kassel, stared back at her. There was a soft little chime of bells, and the fairy smiled at her before flying away.

As her mother commanded, Itaweret wasted no time in preparing herself for the evening. Washing herself clean; slathering scented oil all over her skin so that it glistened like polished ebony; combing and perfuming her dreadlocks and then beading their tips with gold; lining her eyelids with black kohl; ringing her neck and limbs with jewelry of gold, copper, and colored stones; throwing on her whitest and yet most translucent linen dress...such was part of the work that went into making any self-respecting daughter of Egypt look presentable for public attention.

And this was when she was rushing it.

Itaweret strode out of her dressing room, still adjusting her collar of gold, lapis-lazuli, malachite, and carnelian as she navigated her way through a series of painted hallways to her father’s audience chamber. She had no idea whom he had brought over, but if he had summoned her to his side, the guest was presumably a man. Regardless of the precise subject of their discussions, men always wanted at least one pretty young woman to decorate the scene while they talked politics.

She could only pray to the mercy of the gods that the man coming over wasn’t the sort of man who demanded even more than background decor.

I ended up channeling Indiana Jones a bit?! XD

Alana approached carefully before she came to a stop. On the ground was a stepping stone puzzle of some kind with different colored blocks. How was she supposed to know which blocks to step on? And what would happen if she stepped on the wrong one? She bit the inside of her lower lip.

"Here goes nothing," she said.

She stepped on the first block, this one colored blue. Nothing happened. Her heart pounded as she looked at each of the blocks, trying to figure out what the pattern could possibly be. Next, she stepped on a red block, followed by a green. The next step was purple. As soon as her foot touched the block, she regretted it - the block gave way beneath her feet and she started to fall. She screamed and jumped, reaching her arms out to grab onto the remaining blocks and keep her from falling. She pulled herself up quickly and rolled forward, away from the remaining blocks of the puzzle.

As she rolled, her back hit a button on the ground. She came up from the ground just in time to hear a mechanism begin to move. Suddenly, a single arrow flew out from one wall. Alana stood up carefully, her eyes wide and breathing heavy as more arrows began flying from the walls, come from both directions. She ran past the arrows as fast as she could as they whizzed by, the blue flame still following behind her.

This happens after my heroine gets into a little argument with her brother:

Retreating into the darkness that had fallen upon the back courtyard, Itaweret roared like a lioness towards the star-dusted heavens. The branches of the trees shivered with a rustle from the unspeakable blasphemies she screeched with frenzied abandon while twirling around like a tornado.

Both the men she held most dear in her life had abandoned her. Both her father and her brother would sooner surrender her to forced violation than have their own hides get so much as scratched. Small wonder why, for they were men, no less so than Scylax himself. Egyptian or Greek, men could never appreciate the true value of humanity’s other half, the half that had birthed and nursed them together with their sisters. And yet they saw themselves as the sex better fit to rule the world!

I have NPCs walking around between the player characters (PCs) and I did not have a lot of information about those NPC roles, they're the heads of the different skill tree houses and they're supposed to give quests and missions to the players. But those heads are all a group of friends basically so it would seem natural that they do have relationships of some sort. Well apparently the head of the Alchemists, master Aien Xiltris has a thing for the head of the fighters, Mistress Mnemeth Beirie, it just isn't reciprocated. The day before this quote Aien had been bothering Mnemeth when they weren't doing much of anything.

By then they had reached the fighter’s building where the various fighters had gathered and were listening to master Mnemeth discuss plans for that day. Master Aien walked up to her.

“Mnemeth! Might I have a moment?” She turned around.

“What is it, Aien? I thought I gave you plenty of moments yesterday.”

I had to really laugh when I wrote that down. I love reading snarky comments and I never figured I'd write one of my own XD.

From the battle scene I'm working on:

With explosive speed, Bek and his men burst out of their hiding places and charged at the flanks of the nearest phalanx, roaring the battle song of Egypt. Some of the remaining Mycenaean spearmen started to rotate sideways to meet the attack, but most had not completed the maneuver before the Egyptians reached them and fought away with spears, axes, and clubs.

It was not the first time in his life that Bek had taken lives before. He and his father had always cultivated a fondness for hunting in the countryside outside Dedenu, whether they were going after fowl, wild boar, deer, or one of the larger animals that threatened the farmers’ crops. Yet never on those hunts had he brought down a creature with the same furious enthusiasm that flamed in his soul today as he hammered away at the Mycenaeans with his mace. Never had he relished the spilling of blood and brains and the cracking of skulls as he did now.

After all, these men were not mere animals doing what animals always did. They were human beings who had the power of choice. And they had chosen to pledge their loyalty to a savage brute. If any creatures in the world deserved to be killed, it was these barbarians. And not even their armor could protect them from Bek’s crushing wrath.

Okay, here's the first two paragraphs of my story:

Voices were hushed, muffled and mingled with the sound of many feet trodding on damp earth.  The occasional snap of a branch would cause some of those feet to stop, the owners looking around in alarm.  When no angry soldiers burst out of the foliage, everyone would calm down and continue.

This behavior annoyed Dasgar to no end.  He was young, barely old enough to be enlisted.  And like many young men, he was excited to rush into war for glory, for the kingdom, for the beautiful young Queen.  But instead of fighting, he was transporting the citizens of Dawnfield to a safe place.  Every time they stopped, it set him back on his quest for glory.  He was more than happy to pass them off to the appointed guardian and be done with it.

A while later, Harrow came back to the campfire with a dead rabbit slung one shoulder and a long stick to cook it on. He sat down on one of the logs and began using a piece of rope to tie the rabbit's body to the branch.

"Is that a rabbit?" Alana asked. Harrow could practically hear the disgust in her voice.

Harrow looked up, raising an amused eyebrow. "You've never eaten rabbit before, I take it?"

Alana shook her head. "The city isn't exactly filled to the brim with rabbits."

"I haven't either," Derric said.

Harrow smiled and finished tying the rope. When he was done, he handed the stick to her. "If you're going to journey through perilous forests and over mountains, you might as well take advantage of nature while you're at it. Here. Hold it over the fire and turn it every few minutes. You'll know it's done cooking when it starts smelling like the city sewers."

...okay, then, haha. Apparently cooked rabbit smells like city sewers, good to know :P.

“I said after supper, and now it is after supper.  I won’t have it said that Mynoris breaks her word.”  Dasgar took a moment to realize she had just given her name; it wasn’t one that he had heard before.  A small cheer rose up from the children, and they gathered around, sitting on the floor.  Mynoris also took a seat, crossing her legs and resting the palm of her hands on her knees.

“Can you tell us the one about the Garden Knight?” asked one child.

“Or the Masked Princess?” seconded a little girl.  Mynoris simply shook her head.

“I’m afraid I don’t know any of your local stories.  It will probably be a story you haven’t heard before.”  The children took a few moments to process this, and they seemed more thrilled than disappointed that their requests would go unanswered.

Have you seen Tangled? There's that magic flower on the cliff that the soldiers steal from a witch to save the life of a dying queen. This is kind of like that. Only instead of taking something, I'm putting it back. Turns out witches don't like it when you steal invaluable magic flowers from them, who knew.

Lets back up. My name is Emonta Levage, daughter of Kel and Hasmond Levage. You may have met them, they run the mill down by Lexing. Perfectly normal family, hardworking parents, three healthy children, lots of prospects. Not the sort to get involved with witches and curses, oh no.

But everything changed when the fire nation attacked. Okay it was a forest fire, sue me. My house burned down, I'm allowed to be dramatic. We all got out mostly okay, but the mill burned down, so not only are we homeless, we have no income. Mom hurt her knee pulling Dad out of the fire, so as oldest, I've got to figure something out.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

Have you seen Tangled? There's that magic flower on the cliff that the soldiers steal from a witch to save the life of a dying queen. This is kind of like that. Only instead of taking something, I'm putting it back. Turns out witches don't like it when you steal invaluable magic flowers from them, who knew.

Lets back up. My name is Emonta Levage, daughter of Kel and Hasmond Levage. You may have met them, they run the mill down by Lexing. Perfectly normal family, hardworking parents, three healthy children, lots of prospects. Not the sort to get involved with witches and curses, oh no.

But everything changed when the fire nation attacked. Okay it was a forest fire, sue me. My house burned down, I'm allowed to be dramatic. We all got out mostly okay, but the mill burned down, so not only are we homeless, we have no income. Mom hurt her knee pulling Dad out of the fire, so as oldest, I've got to figure something out.

Hahaha, this is epic. You win, Penguin! I could totally hear this in the kind of sarcastic-y tone that Flynn narrates the story in the beginning of Tangled. XD

“Y-you’ve been s-summoned ma’am,” The boy finally manages to stutter out. He’s a polite one at least.

“Summoned?” She shuffles around in the shallows until she is finally facing him, placing her soaking hands on her hips in mock fury. “I don’t often go where I’m told lad, only where I’m needed. So tell me, who needs me?”

The boy at least has the sense to look abashed. He starts rubbing a nervous hand against the back of his head, burrowing the other in his pockets. “Begging your pardon ma’am, didnae mean any offence. But it’s t-the Laird you see-”

“Ah well, you should have said! If it’s the Laird’s summons, how could I say no?” She scoffs and begins to wade back towards the shore with slow, deliberate steps. “And why is the Laird in need of a hedgewitch? Doesn’t he have his fancy Magister’s with him?”

“Well he- what I mean to say is it’s his wife,” The boy takes an unconscious step back as she reaches the shore. “The babes on its way, and she’ll no allow the Magisters anywhere near her. She’s insisting on a hedgewitch ma’am,”

“She always was a sensible lass,”

“Will you come ma’am?”

Maeve lets the question hang in the air for a moment, before giving a swift nod. “Aye. Aye, I’ll be along shortly. Run back and ask them to prepare. I want hot water boiled, clean sheets, and most importantly, iron on the window sills and at the foot of the bed,”

“Iron?”

“To keep the sidhe away. Now get a move on,”

Edited by CaptainStrat
  • Like 1

It had been summer back then, the leaves as bright and green as those before me. I remembered the warmth of the air hugging my bare skin even in the dark depths of night, the sky illuminated by the fire which danced on her skin. And just like now I hid away in a tree watching everything from above, the sun still warming me all these years later. But my true warmth, hers, lay out of reach.

Dima?”

“I was just remembering. I’ll be sad when summer passes once more, it’s been too short.”

“Oh you.” Alenda’s smile turned to laughter, her copper curls following every movement, just like my eyes. I could never stop. “You can’t hide up in the trees forever, but maybe this once you should stay a little longer. Stop and live for now. You’ve never been good at that.”

How can I?” I shifted my weight on the tree branch and crossed my arms. “When he’s got my cards. How can I just blindly walk into a—”

I sighed and watched as Alenda perched on the branch with me, her feet dangling down, acting as if everything was fine, that it could be fine.

“—forget it.”

I know you are suffering my love,” Alenda soothed. “I am here. I will always be here. You know I’ll stay with you til the end.

Unfurling my arms, I rested my hands on my knees, glancing at the deep black lines circling my wrist, finalised with a red one.

I know, my love,” I whispered.

With care I slowly descended the tree, my fingers clawing at the rough bark. I could have stayed there all day watching the day pass and begin anew over and over, however even captives had to work. Hunger gnawed at my belly as the fresh scent of a kill floated along the gentlest breeze, enough to waft the delicious scent but not enough to chill the sweat rolling down my back.

The trees look lovely today,” Alenda said, gazing around happy. I smiled.

Not as lovely as you.”

Alenda smirked. “Flatterer.”

“I’m only telling the—”

Talking to yourself again?” A sneering voice called behind me. Sevastyan. On instinct I could feel my muscles tense, just his voice alone could set me on edge. I wanted to fight, to flee, to be anywhere but here. But I had no real choice.

Hopefully this isn't too long, I needed to add that last bit in to make it really make sense.
It's unedited but it's the beginning of my nano so it should be better than the rest of it haha 😛

(ignore the 3 and 4, the forum added it and I can't delete it...)