Sign in to follow this  
Mynoris

Societies Help

If you want, you can treat this as a little bit of a game.  I need help building societies based on a list of dual combination ideas, some of which might seem like they don't go together.  So, I want people to feel really free to be as far fetched or weird as they like with this (as long as it stays within a low-tech boundary).  Just tell me which pair(s) of concepts you're going with, and give me a line or two about what kind of society you can imagine with those two key concepts.  Feel free to pick a handful of pairs, if you're inspired to do so. And please don't mix and match.  (Anything with a ? beside it is a concept that I might change.)

War & Peace

Beauty & Moon

Sun & Entropy (?)

Greed & Passage

Knowledge & Magic

Family & Industry (?)

Justice & Language

Love & Agriculture

When you say societies, do you mean like a group of people that follow the combinations, or like entire countries? What scale of society I guess is my question.

They might develop into countries, or not, but I'm looking more for the root societies.  I'm not sure if that helps clarify it.

Greed & Passage could be a society heavily based on travel and commerce. All societies will need commerce of course, but maybe this society has bankers and merchant prince's, and controls trade routes.

Knowledge and Magic - an Alchemists' Academic society

War & Peace

Two concepts come to mind with this one for me. One is this thing I've seen around Tumblr about kingdoms where the length of the monarch's hair is a symbol of how long the kingdom has been at peace, and that a declaration of war is sent in the form of the king cutting off their hair and sending it to the offending monarch. Some kings are like, shaving off little scraps of hair because they're at war so often, but others have long braids, and there's nothing more significant than a really long braid of hair delivered to a monarch's door because it means they pissed off someone who's slow to anger.

The other concept is a societal idea that war is necessary, like the controlled burn of a forest to promote new growth, and that peace is important but can also lead to stagnation. So they believe in a cycle of war and peace to keep society vibrant and alive. Being a warrior is a duty and honor, but no more so than peacetime work like farming and art. People who want to be considered prestigious and powerful train in two disciplines, one for peacetime and one for wartime.

Beauty & Moon

This makes me think of something Roman or Greek, with nighttime festivals celebrating the gods, relaxed, flowing clothing, etc. No stronger impressions at the moment.

Sun & Entropy (?)

Makes me think of a group of people who believe in the power of nature and letting things follow their natural course. Perhaps a semi-nomadic people. I'm also getting this image of people building these almost-cities in natural locales, like treetop villages, or floating in lakes, things like that. The sort of people who believe in trial by combat, in coming of age rituals.

This next bit doesn't necessarily fit those two ideas, but I was reminded of it somehow, so I thought I'd share: I heard about a group who, when someone makes a huge mistake or does something bad/wrong, rather than punishing the person the entire village circles around them and chants at them all the good things about them, things they've done for others, to remind them of the good person they can be.

Greed & Passage

I like what was already said for this. It also makes me think of the Ancient Egyptians and how they thought you could bury someone with earthly goods to take with them to the next life.

Knowledge & Magic

I both like what was said already and that it reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist. Alternatively/additionally, they could believe that the more truly and in depth you know something, the more power you have over it. This would be a good society for the power of a true name, and having people keep their true names hidden for their own safety.

Family & Industry (?)

I imagine it would be very important for family trades to pass down from generation to generation. Probably very low emphasis on schooling, more emphasis on learning a trade, apprenticeship, things like that. Marriages arranged based on bringing complementary industries together. Big, powerful family monopolies on certain industries. Reminds me of the chaebols in Korea -- big family corporations that dominated the economy for a long time.

Justice & Language

Huh, interesting mix. I imagine the law is an important practice in this society, and that contracts are written with very particular language. I picture this almost double-edged sword where it's believed to be in very bad faith to trick someone into an unfair contract, and there are people who specialize in trying to find loopholes and ways out, but when it comes down to it the letter of the law must be upheld if no loopholes can be found.

Love & Agriculture

An interesting pair with Family and Industry. I feel like this would actually be a subset of the family and industry one. The only big difference I can think of is that maybe this one prioritizes love and romance where the Family and Industry prioritizes familial duty, so arranged marriages are a thing in that one but not in this one. I don't know what you're doing with these, but it could be fun if this is a subset of the Family and Industry society that kind of rebelled and broke off?

Beauty & Moon

Every time I visit Studley Royal and Fountains Abbey in N.Yorks I think of the concept of a moon temple. I’m put in mind of an ethereal group of worshippers, all gathered round a stone font, sending up prayers to the night sky. Such a group would put a profound emphasis on beauty.

Sun & Entropy

By contrast this makes me think of something quite cultish. Entropy as a word has the ring of paranoia around it and the sun, far from being seen as a benevolent and life giving force, scorches all in its unpitying rays. Death to the Enemies of the Sun!, is this Family’s mantra. Unless of course by Sun and Entropy you mean the fashionable Islington ale house where punters consume meat-infused beers while standing about on one leg and claiming they ‘met Proust’s cousin once.’

Unless of course by Sun and Entropy you mean the fashionable Islington ale house where punters consume meat-infused beers while standing about on one leg and claiming they ‘met Proust’s cousin once.’

I feel like I'm missing a reference here.

Unless of course by Sun and Entropy you mean the fashionable Islington ale house where punters consume meat-infused beers while standing about on one leg and claiming they ‘met Proust’s cousin once.’

You ... don’t know the Sun and Entropy?

Apparently  this is missing from my personal reference data-base, yes. :)

Apparently  this is missing from my personal reference data-base, yes. :)

Ah. It was mentioned in next Monday’s Analytical Review as being evidence that the country of Islington is ‘happening again’ (whatever that means). I’ve actually not been, myself. The idea of meat beer sounds pretty good, though.

;)

Sign in to follow this