Sign in to follow this  
Mynoris

Reactions to Writing

Sometimes I think the best compliment a person can give a writer is to ask a specific question about the world/characters.

Anyone can say that a piece is good or bad, or funny or sad.

But it really takes some understanding and attention to formulate a specific question about a piece of work.  It shows that a person thought enough of your work to wonder about something behind the scenes or seek clarification.

Discuss.

Oh, yes, I can't wait for the day when someone says "I can't believe Echo did that!" or "I can't stand Sir Gaunt, he's really annoying." Then I'll know my work is truly beginning, when these people become real to others.

That's such a good point. I went through a period when I was spending a lot of time on Wattpad, and it was very common for people to trade comments -- I'll read your work if you read mine. But of course you got a lot of people who may not even have read it, they just post something like "That was great!" I always found that really frustrating. I also think there's an interesting division. I think that people who take the community aspect of writing very seriously are the sort who read others' work and leave thoughtful, specific comments based on the content of the story. But that, too, is different from the point when you find just casual readers starting to connect with your work and react in a heartfelt way to the characters and world you've created.

I hope to someday cross that threshold!

I like when I get feedback to my novels too.

Sign in to follow this