Mynoris

Why We Don't Post

1 hour ago, Pinchofmagic said:

A bit late to the conversation here, but I find it intimidating to post new stuff in Foundations & Getting the Words out because the Writer Discussion Archive has a lot of really interesting topics about general writing that most of the regulars seem to have talked about already (and sadly, there isn't the option of adding new replies there anymore).

Feel free to start a new topic about the same subject! If you are interested in continuing the conversation I'm sure others are too. A lot of interesting things may have been said already, but a lot of those users aren't really active anymore, and I think its valuable for the newer/more active members to be able to talk about the topic and add their own opinions.

On the old site we could raise posts from the dead but if the new software doesn't allow that then I don't see any problems with starting a bunch of new topics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

They've been archived but that doesnt mean you can restart a same or similar thread 🙂 especially as people's thoughts change as well as new people joining the site.

36 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

Feel free to start a new topic about the same subject! If you are interested in continuing the conversation I'm sure others are too. A lot of interesting things may have been said already, but a lot of those users aren't really active anymore, and I think its valuable for the newer/more active members to be able to talk about the topic and add their own opinions.

On the old site we could raise posts from the dead but if the new software doesn't allow that then I don't see any problems with starting a bunch of new topics.

Oh, I see. Well, then I'll definitely think of some stuff to post, and I won't let the archive stand in my way anymore. :) Thank you for replying.

21 minutes ago, Sheepy-Pie said:

They've been archived but that doesnt mean you can restart a same or similar thread 🙂 especially as people's thoughts change as well as new people joining the site.

You can't restart an old archived thread, if that's what you mean. You have to create an entirely new one. Which is cool.

22 minutes ago, Sheepy-Pie said:

O, great. Because it wasn't all that long ago those topics were discussed, which also gave me pause, but you're right that we do change our minds and new people do join. Thank you so much for replying. :)

1 minute ago, Penguinball said:

You can't restart an old archived thread, if that's what you mean. You have to create an entirely new one. Which is cool.

Oh no, I get that I need to create a new post. I was mostly concerned that similar subjects would be frowned upon in the new forum. :) 

1 minute ago, Pinchofmagic said:

O, great. Because it wasn't all that long ago those topics were discussed, which also gave me pause, but you're right that we do change our minds and new people do join. Thank you so much for replying. 🙂

A lot of stuff was archived when we moved to new forum software a couple months ago, so that's why more recent things show up in there. Its all free game though!

One of the major draws of a writing forum is that you can find people who can help you brainstorm for your stories. The problem with me is that I've never been any good about finishing novel-length works, so in the past I had a tendency to ask for help on projects that I ended up scrapping or dumping into the back-burner. As a result, I've grown very hesitant to seek aid for anything writing-related since the odds that I'll even complete the project are so slim.

Another issue is that the things I'm interested in talking about are quite different from those of the typical fantasy writer. I'm sure that everyone here has noticed that I tend to draw and write about certain things that aren't commonly represented in fantasy, and certainly not the kind of fantasy everyone else here seems to gravitate towards. That leaves me with not much to say that I think everyone else would like to hear. 

3 hours ago, Tyrannohotep said:

One of the major draws of a writing forum is that you can find people who can help you brainstorm for your stories. The problem with me is that I've never been any good about finishing novel-length works, so in the past I had a tendency to ask for help on projects that I ended up scrapping or dumping into the back-burner. As a result, I've grown very hesitant to seek aid for anything writing-related since the odds that I'll even complete the project are so slim.

Another issue is that the things I'm interested in talking about are quite different from those of the typical fantasy writer. I'm sure that everyone here has noticed that I tend to draw and write about certain things that aren't commonly represented in fantasy, and certainly not the kind of fantasy everyone else here seems to gravitate towards. That leaves me with not much to say that I think everyone else would like to hear. 

None of that should be a reason to shy away from posting - you don't owe anyone who answers in your thread that you finish the story, it's even completely fine to brainstorm with others and then decide that you prefer to write a different story!

And... is there such a thing as "the typical fantasy writer"? I don't think so 😉 Don't make assumptions about what everyone wants to hear, you might be surprised 🙂 In fact, I think you did bring up a couple of interesting questions in the past and your posts are usually well-thought-out!

• Like 3

I'm super late and you basically got the responses you needed, but seriously - if you see a topic that's already been discussed, don't be afraid to respond to it or start a new topic for it. I know it's some kind of forum/online community ~taboo~ in most places but we don't have a necroposting rule, so you're free to do so with pretty much almost any of the archived threads. (I suppose it depends on what the thread is, especially when it comes to archived announcements and such. But for the writing related ones, pretty much any topic would most likely be fair game (although, again, it could depend, like if the member is no longer active here there probably isn't a point in bumping the post, but you can restart the topic.)

4 hours ago, Tyrannohotep said:

The problem with me is that I've never been any good about finishing novel-length works, so in the past I had a tendency to ask for help on projects that I ended up scrapping or dumping into the back-burner. As a result, I've grown very hesitant to seek aid for anything writing-related since the odds that I'll even complete the project are so slim.

I used to be the same way (and I mean, I suppose I still am, to some degree). I have SO many projects on the back burner that I never finished and barely even got anything written for, some of which I really do want to go back to eventually. But then I started Worldsmyths, and I brainstormed and discussed writing with the members, and I participated in the writing challenges...and I ended up liking the two secondary characters from one of my challenge responses so much that I decided to write another challenge entry focusing on them, and then I ended up expanding it into a potential novel. And I actually wrote the full draft. Granted, it needs a lot of work and it's not a very long novel (technically it's a novella 'cause it's like 24k right now), but I did it. I disciplined myself to being able to focus on one project at a time, and I stayed focused and kept working at it, even when I was frustrated and didn't know what the heck I wanted to do and what direction to go with it in. I focused on the chapters where I knew what I wanted to have happen first, and I got those written, and then I went back and wrote the ones that I knew I was going to struggle with but were slightly easy to write due to everything else I had already written that took place before/after those points.

There's no guarantee that all of this would work for you, of course. What works for one person doesn't always work for the next, especially when it comes to something like writing. But my point is that if I can discipline myself to write a 24k first draft for the first time ever (basically, since I'm not really counting any previous novel attempts from when I was a kid that were probably more than that since they were fan fiction), then you can do it too.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

None of that should be a reason to shy away from posting - you don't owe anyone who answers in your thread that you finish the story, it's even completely fine to brainstorm with others and then decide that you prefer to write a different story!

1,000% agreed!

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.