Sign in to follow this  
victoriae350

My brain hates me when I write right now...

I'm in and out of writing. Actually, we can apply that to anything. When I'm 100% obsessed or interested in something, I can sit down and spend hours of hours of investment time in whatever that thing is. However, if I'm not inherently obsessed or 100% interested in something, my brain screams at me when I sit down and try to use that thing for productive purposes. For example...

I've been watching Grey's Anatomy, and I've been attempting to write one chaptered fan fiction pieces for my personal use (I had some terrible experience with the fan fiction community. As a result, I don't post my fanfiction stuff anymore), but every time I sit down to write, my brain starts screaming at me and so, I don't write a word. As I'm writing, I have NO interest in what I write. When I reread later, I'm interested because I'm like "how the heck did I write that? WOOOOWW."

The Zara series I've been working on on and off since the summer is the same. I sit butt down and I can't write anything because my brain goes REEEE and my stress levels go sky high.

I'm not sure how to cure this. I could just leave it, but I find I can go months and months without writing. And that's not okay with me. I won't reach my publication goal one day if I don't write, and I do love to write. I don't sit down and think publication when I write because I write primarily for myself. All this applies to every part of the writing process. Any advice is appreciated!

I'm very similar! I get super into web development projects, for instance, and can spend hours working on them (that's the phase I'm in right now), but other things I typically like to do are hard (if not impossible) to get into when I'm hyperfocused on one thing like that.

What gets you really excited and engaged at the moment, if anything? For instance if you're super into ... I don't know, watching Food Network or something... you could maybe work out a reward system for yourself? It wouldn't cure the problem, but if you reward yourself for 500 words of writing by doing the thing that really excites you right now, it could help you slog through until the interest returns, maybe?

I'm somewhat similar. It's easy for me to churn the words out by the hundreds if I'm in the right mood. I've written entire college papers within one morning because I had something I really wanted to say in them. But once that initial enthusiasm burns out, or if I lose confidence in the whole project, I slow to a crawl. I'm experiencing that very phenomenon right now with regards to the WIP I started for NaNo this year.

I guess the trick is to either rekindle your passion for the endeavor or to rebuild your confidence. Some might say you should simply force yourself to finish it, but in my experience, the quality of the work you put out tends to suffer when you're less invested in it.

Have you tried doing other things that involve your world/characters that aren't directly part of writing your story?  Like making paper doll version of them on an app/website, doing character interviews, writing character bios, role-playing, answering personality quizzes from your character's points of view, doing weird cross over stories with existing worlds/characters, or anything else that might otherwise reconnect you with your project?  After all, the passion was there at some point, and sometimes you just need to find a way to bring it back to your mind so that the words flow more naturally towards your fingertips. 

Well I think all of this is normal. You can get excited at the beginning of the project, then it becomes a chore/work like everything else. Because you don't 'feel like it'.

Then if you actually finish it, you have to do your second, third drafts/edits, changing bits. By this time, you are thoroughly sick of the whole thing. Then you write the next one.

I'm sure there are some people out there who don't find it a struggle at times, but they are the lucky exception.

Sign in to follow this