Staff

New Forum Feedback

Now that we have the new forum open and ready for you to use, we invite you to give us feedback! Please use this post to tell us what things you like, what things you don't, what things could use guides to help members understand how they work, etc. Any feedback you can think of would be super helpful!

It's all about the blue butterfly theme!  So much love!

Anyhow, I'm curious about the tags and how they work for story submissions.  I mean, should it just be about the genre, or could we put in what level draft something is on, or even just finished/unfinished/updated.

I don't have any questions or concerns at the moment, but I wanted to just comment that it looks so pretty!!! ❤️ I love all of the themes and the interface is very clean. I'm still making my way around, but so far, everything looks great!! 

Blue butterfly theme? I need to check this out! I haven't checked it out in detail yet, but I love the overall look of the new site - good job, admins!

Just checking in to say it looks magnificent!! I'll come back if I find issues, but so far it's super cool.

Edit: Oh jeez my signature is giant, I'll have to fix that.

Edited by electric

10 hours ago, Mynoris said:

Anyhow, I'm curious about the tags and how they work for story submissions.  I mean, should it just be about the genre, or could we put in what level draft something is on, or even just finished/unfinished/updated.

I'm going to let @kherezae answer this one, 'cause I really have no clue. XD

Thank you for all of the feedback so far, everyone! I'm really happy that you're enjoying it!

10 hours ago, Mynoris said:

Probably not genre, but otherwise, whatever seems relevant! Finished/unfinished could be a good to tag. The one entry I posted as an example I tagged with 'siblings' because it features siblings. If your story features elemental magic, that might be good to tag, etc.

Just now, kherezae said:

Probably not genre, but otherwise, whatever seems relevant! Finished/unfinished could be a good to tag. The one entry I posted as an example I tagged with 'siblings' because it features siblings. If your story features elemental magic, that might be good to tag, etc.

Well, I really suck at tags, so I hope people will nudge me along with them if I use too many/few.  I think I'm ok at writing, buty ability to classify things is horrendous. 🙂

(I wonder if there's a way for readers to suggest tags...)

Aesthetically, this is really beautiful. My only concern (for myself because well lazy/tired eyes) is the amount of text for the forum descriptions. What I wonder is if maybe there can be a color difference between the board title, the sub-board list and the description. With it all being the same color (or very close) my eye doesn't understand what each part is/easily read it. Otherwise, I'm really digging this layout. I've never used this system before but it definitely seems more advanced than other forum systems I've used.

I love that I can immediately reply at the bottom, but that might have already been a feature on the other forum. It just looks soo pretty! I'll love browsing this forum I know that. When I feel more energetic I always get this urge to create. So I already set up my tarot bullet journal and I was thinking of doing some tarot writing challenges/exercise thingies and apparently there's already something like that on the board, so I'm just going to sniff it out. 

Already a major thumbs up on the aesthetics! I'll let you know if I come across bugs or things that might be worth tweaking.

4 hours ago, LoiterBug said:

Aesthetically, this is really beautiful. My only concern (for myself because well lazy/tired eyes) is the amount of text for the forum descriptions. What I wonder is if maybe there can be a color difference between the board title, the sub-board list and the description. With it all being the same color (or very close) my eye doesn't understand what each part is/easily read it. Otherwise, I'm really digging this layout. I've never used this system before but it definitely seems more advanced than other forum systems I've used.

I'm going to tag @kherezae for this one. This might require dabbling into the CSS/HTML of the layout, which might be beyond what either of us know how to do. :classic_unsure: The amount of text is definitely something we can deal with, but the color thing is the part that might not be fixable. I'm really glad you like it, though! 😄

@LoiterBug do you mean a completely different color or would a different shade of gray work as well? I ask because with the background picker it could be difficult to keep the colors coordinated. I'm not sure yet how to change those colors, but I'm sure I could figure it out... but I'd like to get a clear idea of what the end goal is first. If the subforum links were a darker gray, for instance, would that help?

So just real quick, I wanted to say that the forum is absolutely beautiful on mobile! 

Also, last night, I tried to change my password and I never got the email! I have since changed it from my desktop so I could access on mobile, but I just wanted you to be aware of the issue!

I don’t know if it’s a problem with my email provider (gmail) or an issue with the site. I’ve been getting other emails, but I’m not sure if any others are missing! 

44 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

So just real quick, I wanted to say that the forum is absolutely beautiful on mobile! 

Also, last night, I tried to change my password and I never got the email! I have since changed it from my desktop so I could access on mobile, but I just wanted you to be aware of the issue!

I don’t know if it’s a problem with my email provider (gmail) or an issue with the site. I’ve been getting other emails, but I’m not sure if any others are missing! 

Hmm. I know that when we were on SMF, I was having a lot of issues over the last several months with getting my e-mail notifications and such; I use gmail, too, and I'm honestly not sure whether or not this is actually a gmail issue or if it's a software issue, but if the email for changing your password never showed up, it miiiight be more of a software issue? But again, I'm not sure. We haven't been on the new software long enough for me to really know for sure. XD Did you check your spam folder, just in case? I know sometimes I've had emails go there even though they shouldn't. Gmail can be really fickle a lot of the time. It'll send the things that shouldn't go into spam into the spam folder and the things that should go into spam into my inbox. Either way, thanks for letting us know! We'll keep an eye on things and see if anyone else is having this issue.

1 minute ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Hmm. I know that when we were on SMF, I was having a lot of issues over the last several months with getting my e-mail notifications and such; I use gmail, too, and I'm honestly not sure whether or not this is actually a gmail issue or if it's a software issue, but if the email for changing your password never showed up, it miiiight be more of a software issue? But again, I'm not sure. We haven't been on the new software long enough for me to really know for sure. XD Did you check your spam folder, just in case? I know sometimes I've had emails go there even though they shouldn't. Gmail can be really fickle a lot of the time. It'll send the things that shouldn't go into spam into the spam folder and the things that should go into spam into my inbox. Either way, thanks for letting us know! We'll keep an eye on things and see if anyone else is having this issue.

Yes, I checked my spam folder! I’ll check again today though, because I only checked it last night. 

I set my notifications to be mostly onsite & email though, just in case 😉 

8 hours ago, LivvyMoore said:

@Jedi Knight Muse Update on the email issue: They did come in, finally—to my spam folder! I checked it frequently that night so it must have happened after I went to bed. Now I feel silly for not checking again before I posted in the thread! 

Haha, it's totally fine! At least you got the email. XD I think for whatever reason something is making it slow to show up, and I'm not sure what or why that is. I really feel like it might be more on gmail's end than on the forum, but I have no way to know that (and I doubt gmail would actually make an attempt to fix it if it is on their end).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Haha, it's totally fine! At least you got the email. XD I think for whatever reason something is making it slow to show up, and I'm not sure what or why that is. I really feel like it might be more on gmail's end than on the forum, but I have no way to know that (and I doubt gmail would actually make an attempt to fix it if it is on their end).

No, probably not! But at least it DOES show up, even if it is wicked slow—like you said 😛 

The new forum design is beautiful.  I'm still getting used to the features.  Like I haven't mastered how to quote other members properly yet.  I'll work it out in time.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.