kherezae

December Writing Events?

NaNoWriMo will be over so soon! Can you believe it? But that leads to the question of what we'll be doing for site writing events in December.

Some options I've been mulling over:

• Bringing back monthly challenges
  • An advent calendar event asking members to respond (very briefly) to a prompt each day through the 25th
  • A sort of Secret Santa deal where members who want to participate do something creative for each other -- probably write something, but could be graphic design or other artwork if they're so inclined
    • This could also be just writing, not other artwork
    • Could also turn it into 3 weeks to write something anonymously, 1 week to give feedback on your assigned piece, then reveal who's who
  • Maybe something specific to those who just got through NaNo? I wrote like 3000 words on a lark partway through and then stopped, but maybe others would find this useful haha

What do you all think? Do any of these sound good to you? Do you have other suggestions?

With it being a holiday month, we'd be sure to keep everything very short. Little flash fiction pieces, brief character profiles, that sort of thing.

If we get some solid feedback but opinions on options are split, I'll put up a poll later.

• Like 1

I like the first two options (December writing challenge and advent calendar).

• Like 2

I would go for the monthly writing challenge. We only stopped doing those for a couple of months because of NaNo, so it would make sense to return to tradition after NaNo has passed.

Although the Secret Santa thing sounds cool too...

Edited by Tyrannohotep
  • Like 1

I love all of those ideas, but I’m most partial to the advent calendar and monthly challenges! 

Though the Secret Santa does sound interesting… perhaps in place of a monthly challenge? 

I really like the advent calendar idea, though the prompts for that would have to be designed with brevity in mind.

I'm not sure how I feel about the secret Santa; those sorts of things have always made me uncomfortable.

I was actually wondering the other day how people think about chain stories.  (Not to be confused with chain letters!)  A few ground rules would have to be set, just so everyone knew what the etiquette/expectations were, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue if people were interested.  I know it might seem really close to RP, but I think it would be different enough to count as it's own thing.

I'm definitely in favour of going back to the monthly writing challenges, but maybe do an advent calendar thing just for December so that people have a chance to catch their breath and do family stuff? (The Netherlands has 3 holidays in December instead of the normal 2 :P). 

@Mynoris I think it would depend on the actual story whether or not it would interest me enough to take part. It could be interesting though. I think that it shouldn't be a thing where everyone HAS to participate though because not everyone's interest will be the same. 

I like monthly challenge and/or advent as well.

For advent, if not a writing prompt, maybe a series of worldbuilding/story development questions? Those aren't as hard to write as micro/flash fiction responses to prompts.

@RomancegirlI got the impression nothing was compulsory except being respectful and following the rules.  I was thinking that there could be a couple stories ongoing, to catch more people.  I might start a separate thread to draft ideas on how to do it.

@Mynoris I've heard them called round robins before, and I really like that idea! I'm on board if you want to get something started.

It looks like overall we're leaning more toward a monthly challenge and an advent calendar type thing, so maybe I'll start brainstorming how to put an advent calendar thing together.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tyrannohotep said:

I would go for the monthly writing challenge. We only stopped doing those for a couple of months because of NaNo, so it would make sense to return to tradition after NaNo has passed.

Although the Secret Santa thing sounds cool too...

I think we're definitely going to bring the challenges back regardless. We might need to try and think of a better way to rework them a bit? I mean, I know we keep having to do that because we keep having issues getting people to submit to them, or at least we did in the past. But maybe this is a chance for us to try and tackle them...differently somehow. Kind of give them a fresh start. I don't currently have any ideas, but I'm thinking that at some point between now and January we can try and tackle this with getting some kind of feedback (again) and then going from there. I know one of the issues is people not having time to respond to them, which is why they were going for an entire month at a time, but even with that we were still having issues.

Anyway...yeah, the challenges are definitely coming back in some form, we just have to work on modifying them a bit, I think.

5 hours ago, Penguinball said:

For advent, if not a writing prompt, maybe a series of worldbuilding/story development questions? Those aren't as hard to write as micro/flash fiction responses to prompts.

I think I would lean more towards this myself, since I'm probably far more likely to respond to this kind of thing than actual story prompts (though I suppose it depends on the prompt and how inspired I feel)...especially after the burn out I've kind of had from NaNo. 😐

6 hours ago, Penguinball said:

I really like this idea. Straight finction writing prompts on sites seem pretty common, but an exercise, like: worldbuild me this scene, or develop this character, is a unique take on it.

7 hours ago, Penguinball said:

Oh I love the idea development questions!!! ❤️ Definitely seconding—or thirding, or fourthing… Whichever number in line I am! 

• Haha 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.