Sign in to follow this  
kherezae

Advent Calendar 2018

pexels-photo-1303086.thumb.jpeg.cf5dca3b4043b66d4a351e5962898471.jpeg

Worldsmyths Advent Calendar Writing Challenge

I did a bit of research into Advent, and it turns out there are typically four main themes of Advent. There can be some variation, but I went with a common set of four: Love, Joy, Faith, and Hope. So I've split our Advent Calendar into four arcs with these themes, and I'll post them one arc at a time to give people with complicated holiday schedules a chance to work ahead if they need to.

The goal here is to do something small and writing-related every day, in this case based on a brief Advent prompt. I'll be putting the Advent challenges on the calendar, and you can respond to them directly there -- or, if you write flash fic and want to add it to the Library, tag it according to the instructions on the calendar event! I'll keep track of people's entries here.

Day 1: Love Flash Fic

Heartsong by @LivvyMoore
Keeping you awake. by @Kenaron
Fleeting by @Mynoris
Insomnia by @Manu
In Dreams by @kherezae

Day 2: Love Magic

@Manu (commented)
@Mynoris (commented)
@kherezae (commented)
Rekindled Lies by @LivvyMoore 
@Penguinball (commented)

Day 3: Love Character

Trespass by @kherezae 
@Penguinball (commented)
@Manu (commented)

Day 4: Love Tradition

@Penguinball (commented)
@kherezae (commented)
@Mynoris (commented)

Day 5: Love Plot

@Penguinball (commented)
@kherezae (commented)

Day 6: Love Mythos

@Penguinball (commented)

Day 7: Joy (Writer's Choice)

@Manu (commented)

Day 8: Joy Flash Fic

Day 9: Joy Magic

@Penguinball (commented)

Day 10: Joy Character

Day 11: Joy Tradition

@Penguinball (commented)

Day 12: Joy Plot

Day 13: Faith Mythos

Day 14: Faith (Writer's Choice)

Day 15: Faith Flash Fic

Day 16: Faith Magic

Day 17: Faith Character

Day 18: Faith Tradition

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just really short honestly. You get under 500 words and it gets hard to call it a full story sometimes, I think, and maybe that’s where the term flash fiction came from? If you want to participate, just try your best to write a story in about 500 words or less! 🙂

46 minutes ago, kherezae said:

Just really short honestly. You get under 500 words and it gets hard to call it a full story sometimes, I think, and maybe that’s where the term flash fiction came from? If you want to participate, just try your best to write a story in about 500 words or less! 🙂

So, it can be a segment of a larger thing, or does it have to be a fully contained story within 500 words?

10 hours ago, Mynoris said:

So, it can be a segment of a larger thing, or does it have to be a fully contained story within 500 words?

The goal is that it is able to stand on its own, but if a segment of a larger work can do that, then by all means, it counts. Flash fiction, micro fiction, really tiny short stories, whatever you want to call them, are actually really challenging, because it's hard to write something that short and have it feel like a story. But I think it makes a good writing exercise. Doesn't have to be perfect!

Sign in to follow this