Xanxa

How does the "Reputation" function work?  Do we have to make a certain amount of posts each week to gain reputation?  Or do we earn it from giving advice and support to others?  Who awards the reputation points?

An old forum that I used to belong to (now defunct) had karma points.  Everyone could award positive or negative karma to other members.  There weren't any specific criteria for awarding karma points.  It seemed to function more along the lines of social media "likes".  If you liked someone's post, you gave positive karma.  I don't remember anyone giving negative karma in the two years I was a member.

I first thought it might be based off of the reactions we give, but now I'm not sure....since none of those would really be negative. Hm.  Very good question.

Edited by Mynoris
deleting an extra word error

Although the software gives the option of negative reactions and negative reputation points, but we chose not to turn them on. I couldn't think of a constructive way to use such a system in this community. The positive points, meanwhile, can make you feel seen, and can help members who don't feel they have enough to say to justify a post by giving them a smaller way to respond. They don't really mean anything overall right now, although we could in the future look into some sort of spending system with the reputation points if that seemed good for our community.

Oh, that reminds me to ask: is there a way to add more positive ones?  Or are the ones we have now the only ones that come with the site?

13 hours ago, Mynoris said:

Oh, that reminds me to ask: is there a way to add more positive ones?  Or are the ones we have now the only ones that come with the site?

We can add more! Did you have some in mind?

6 hours ago, kherezae said:

We can add more! Did you have some in mind?

I was thinking of something like an 'agree' or 'me too'.  I know some might say 'like' is close enough, but there's contextual differences. 

On 12/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, Mynoris said:

I was thinking of something like an 'agree' or 'me too'.  I know some might say 'like' is close enough, but there's contextual differences. 

Any suggestions on an appropriate emoticon to go with that? If so I can get it set up!

Agree could be a simple thumbs-up sign, or a tick perhaps. 

As for the original topic, I still don't know how reputation is gained.  Kherezae has +43 at the time of writing this.  Mynoris has +16.  Do we need to do a certain amount of posts to get +1 reputation?  Or do we have to  have people liking our posts?

I remain an enigma without reputation.  Perhaps I should endeavour to stay that way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Xanxa said:

As for the original topic, I still don't know how reputation is gained.  Kherezae has +43 at the time of writing this.  Mynoris has +16.  Do we need to do a certain amount of posts to get +1 reputation?  Or do we have to  have people liking our posts?

I remain an enigma without reputation.  Perhaps I should endeavour to stay that way. 

It's if people react to your content (with anything other than the confused face, which is neutral).

Thumbs up could work... I'll see if I can work on that.

I think a confused face would be everyone's default reaction to me!  🙃  So I guess I'm destined to maintain my neutral reputation! 

And where do I find these confused faces?  Or other reactions? 

• Confused 2

In the bottom right corner of posts and things there's a heart in a gray circle. If you hover over it, the other reactions appear :)

Reputation is boggling me seeing as some members have really high amounts after a day and I have 4 yet I have the second highest amount of content on the site 😛 

It's a mysteryyyyy😮 

• Heartbroken 2

Old content doesn't count toward reputation, unfortunately, unless someone's stalking through the archives and reacting to it. 

8 hours ago, Xanxa said:

Hm.  I'm not sure if I like the thumbs up or the check-mark better!  Since most of them have a bubble saying what they're for, it could easily go either way.

Just pick whichever you find a graphic for that you like. 😄

Hmmm ... I seem to have gained a positive reputation, despite my resolution to remain neutral.  Thanks for the positivity.

I saw the grey heart symbol before but I thought since it was grey, it might be one of those unavailable features that you have to upgrade to a paid version to access.  Therefore I never explored it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Xanxa said:

Hmmm ... I seem to have gained a positive reputation, despite my resolution to remain neutral.  Thanks for the positivity.

I saw the grey heart symbol before but I thought since it was grey, it might be one of those unavailable features that you have to upgrade to a paid version to access.  Therefore I never explored it.

There's literally nothing on the forum that you have to pay for in order to access it. There are features that are optional that can be paid for via donations, but those are separate from any of the other features that we currently have. We would never add a feature and be like "oops, you can't use this unless you subscribe!" or something. If we add any features that have to be paid for by donation, it'll be because people were awesome enough to put the money towards it so that everyone can enjoy and use it and not only certain people who choose to donate.

• Like 3

Oooo, I see the thumbs up and the light-bulb now.  I'm wondering if 'insightful' or 'good idea' might be a better descriptor for the light-bulb, since the icon is usually associated with ideas.

49 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

There's literally nothing on the forum that you have to pay for in order to access it. There are features that are optional that can be paid for via donations, but those are separate from any of the other features that we currently have. We would never add a feature and be like "oops, you can't use this unless you subscribe!" or something. If we add any features that have to be paid for by donation, it'll be because people were awesome enough to put the money towards it so that everyone can enjoy and use it and not only certain people who choose to donate.

That's good to know.   On the forum that I run, we only offer the free features.

20 minutes ago, Xanxa said:

That's good to know.   On the forum that I run, we only offer the free features.

Yeah, that's how we were having to do things before when we were on SMF, but now that we're on the fancier software, we have way more fancier features that did have to be paid for to some degree but most of them do come with the software.

We were on Zetaboards and it was great.  Until the dreaded Tapatalk took them over.  Myself and the other admins are still trying to figure out how to get rid of the annoying features that no-one wants.  We ditched the pop-up chat room a while ago and I got rid of the "dislike" button a few days ago, thanks to someone else figuring out where to go to disable it.

Most of our members are students or people on limited incomes so we can't afford to pay for the fancier upgrades.  It's a general writers' workshop forum and I've been friends with my fellow admins and the regular core members for several years.  Many of them aren't on social media so it's the only way of keeping in contact with them.

1 hour ago, Xanxa said:

We were on Zetaboards and it was great.  Until the dreaded Tapatalk took them over.  Myself and the other admins are still trying to figure out how to get rid of the annoying features that no-one wants.  We ditched the pop-up chat room a while ago and I got rid of the "dislike" button a few days ago, thanks to someone else figuring out where to go to disable it.

Most of our members are students or people on limited incomes so we can't afford to pay for the fancier upgrades.  It's a general writers' workshop forum and I've been friends with my fellow admins and the regular core members for several years.  Many of them aren't on social media so it's the only way of keeping in contact with them.

I've tried to use Zetaboards from an admin aspect before (meaning, I've played around with it) and I hated it. I really hated the set up, and at the time I'm like 99% positive they didn't even have a way to make it so you could get email notifications of responses (this is back when Zetaboards started becoming popular, so it's been a long time). I heard bad things about Tapatalk (of course, that was after I went through trying to make the old forum mobile friendly with Tapatalk. Go figure -_- ).

I don't want to turn this completely off topic, but honestly, as someone who's been running forums for a long time and has played with various software: if you can somehow get the database for your forum (it might cost money, though), I would suggest you get off of Zetaboards (if only because of Tapatalk taking over, since they don't have a great reputation, apparently). Actually, the first thing you would have to do is find a forum host that would convert Zetaboards, and THEN you'd have to be able to get your database. I don't know offhand if this one does it, but I would recommend Jcink. I used Jcink for years (it's based on Invisionfree's forum coding) and they were my go-to for a long time. Honestly, if I hadn't wanted MORE than what Jcink provides for features for Worldsmyths, I would have used them when I first created it. The guy who created it is super helpful and accommodating, way more so than most other forum hosts out there (especially ones that are free).

It may not offer much in the way of features you want or are already used to, but I can guarantee that Jcink doesn't force features onto you that you don't want and can't turn off pretty easily. And the nice thing is that Jcink is mostly willing to add on features that may not already exist, depending on what they are, so you may be able to request something depending on what it was if you did decide to convert to Jcink.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there. XD

• Nice! 1

Thanks for the info.  I'll bear it in mind.  I did run a poll of our members to find out what the majority wanted.   We put the decision on hold until after Nano, but now it seems members have gotten busy again, posting plenty of new material. 

I might wait until after Christmas and raise the issue again.  But we definitely don't want a paid forum.  None of us could afford it.  If we moved, we'd copy the posts we want to save and transfer them over to a completely new forum.  We're old hands at this.  We've done it several times in the past few years.  The copying and pasting is a pain in the posterior but with several of us doing it, we managed to salvage the important stuff.  It all depends on whether admins and members want the bother of  having to start from ground zero again. 

1 hour ago, Xanxa said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll bear it in mind.  I did run a poll of our members to find out what the majority wanted.   We put the decision on hold until after Nano, but now it seems members have gotten busy again, posting plenty of new material. 

I might wait until after Christmas and raise the issue again.  But we definitely don't want a paid forum.  None of us could afford it.  If we moved, we'd copy the posts we want to save and transfer them over to a completely new forum.  We're old hands at this.  We've done it several times in the past few years.  The copying and pasting is a pain in the posterior but with several of us doing it, we managed to salvage the important stuff.  It all depends on whether admins and members want the bother of  having to start from ground zero again. 

JCink isn't paid. There's only one thing you'd have to potentially pay for, which is basically being able to make it so that a certain section of your forum is restricted to those 18+ (if I remember right, it gives a TOS for people to agree to saying they're 18+), but that's only if you would need such a thing. I can't remember offhand if Jcink offers password protected forums but I THINK they do, so you could always just do that instead.

I'd say definitely give them a poke after Christmas and see what they say. It'll be a pain in the butt to have to deal with, but like I said, with Tapatalk taking things over you're probably better off getting away from Zetaboards. And like I said, Jcink is super accommodating, more so than any other forum host provider I know of. There was a point where JCink was having some kind of issue with downtime, and I was running a Star Wars RP and got a bit hasty and decided to move us over onto Icyboards, but Icyboards was a pain in the ass (like, you had to really dig into the coding to make changes to the skin, for example). I ended up not liking Icyboards any more, so I decided to move us back onto Jcink, which I was able to do by getting the database from Icyboards and also by talking to JCink about it. Once we got back onto the old forum, JCink actually came into the forum's chat box to check on things and make sure...something I can't quite remember was all set, which I was really impressed with.

I would say maybe, before you go through the massive effort of having to copy and paste things, go to the Jcink support forum and see if there's some easier way to get your database or get your posts or something so that you don't have to manually copy and paste things, and then at least you would know if Jcink is a viable option for you guys. But, I wouldn't do that until you 1. make a test forum (and set it up the same way as your current forum 2. let your staff members play around on Jcink and see what they say. If they all like it, your next step would be to go to the support forum and ask if there's an easier way to deal with getting the posts onto the new forum. He might have like...some kind of a site crawler or something that allows him to copy posts and the like, but I don't really know if that's a thing.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the suggestion, JKM.  I'll raise the matter with my fellow admins and see what they think.  One of them has far more knowledge than me about running forums so I'll let her check it out and see what she thinks.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.