Manu

2018 Accomplishments

We have entered the last month of 2018, and while it's probably a bit early to set goals and make New Year Resolutions, let's take a moment and look back on this year!

What have you accomplished this year, writing-wise or in general? What did you do this year that makes you happy or proud, no matter if you worked hard for it or were just lucky to be in the right place at the right time? What challenges have you faced, what hurdles have you cleared? Anything else you'd like to share?

I'd appreciate if we could keep the general tone of this thread positive - life sometimes sucks, but let's rather pat ourselves on the shoulder for overcoming difficulties than complain about having to face them in the first place 🙂

Edited by Manu

Writing-wise, 2018 wasn't the most productive year for me, but there are some things that I am proud of: I wrote my first ever short story in English! I also translated a scene from one of my WIP's for a writing challenge and I am quite happy how it turned out, and I wrote a short story in my native language and shared it with professional editors during an internship in a small publishing house.

There were also a couple of changes concerning my relationships: During the first half of 2018, I finally found the strength to end a long-lasting relationship that had come to a point where it was only making me unhappy. In August, I found a new partner and I'm happier than I ever was in my life :classic_love:

Concerning work, 2018 was probably the most exhausting year in a while, but I managed to steer it in the right direction. I got in a 12-month-programme aimed at assessing whether I'm fit for work and if yes, how many hours a week I can work. Since I'm not planning to get back into my old job, I did two internships in editing, one with a small publisher and one with a literature agency. Got a job offer from the agency! Since I can't work fulltime and won't earn enough money there to fully make a living from the work, I am now applying for financial aid for disability, and I am almost there - looks really good right now, and it's about 80% safe that I can do that part-time job in editing for the next 2 years and get funding from the government for it 🙃

So while 2018 was a strenuous year for me, some really good things happened as well! What about yours?

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear positive things happened for you in 2018 @Manu, even if the year in general was stressful 🙂

2018 was my year to take my writing hobby more seriously. My New Years resolution was to write every day and though I didn't exactly keep that up, I still did waaaay more writing than I did in my entire life previously. I'm not 100% sure how much I wrote. My tracking spreadsheet I think is too high, I think I realized I was putting in 4theWords wordcount, which counts all words typed, even those you deleted, which artificially inflated my count.

So I went through and counted the documents I have handy. I'm pretty sure I've got it on in the cloud, but there might be some stuff on Scrivener I missed. These are my totals:

Prose: 75,526 words
Notes (Worldbuilding, outlines, etc): 54,722 words
Unsure (words that I can't remember if I wrote in 2018 or 2017): 38,480

Total (of 100% known words): 130,248 words

I am very proud of that number! And also giving myself side eye at how many notes I take but that's okay!

All these words are 1st drafts for the most part. I feel like I am one step further in my journey to becoming a better writing, I've proven I can write a complete idea down and put out words. The next step, for 2019, is to take those stories and get them into second drafts. Some will need to be rewritten entirely, but that's okay, that's part of the process. I get experience points with each story I work on 🙂

• Like 1

Oh wow, some positive things have happened in your lives this year, that's so great! I'm happy to hear that. @Manu, I'm glad a tough year turned out worthwhile in the end for you, and @Penguinball I'm so impressed with how much you wrote! @Mynoris, participating in NaNo is big enough, but winning?! Kick ass!

I graduated the Korean program I was in back in April and earned the highest evaluation of my skill level that people are expected to get coming out of that basic program. Finally moved on from California to the next stage of my training in Texas (only to get stuck here for months, but eh). I struggled through an intensely difficult few months of long distance with my then-boyfriend, but we made it through, and we got married in September! We're living together in a little apartment now and put up our first Christmas tree together last weekend. 

Writing-wise I haven't done much, but I have written about 4000 words of prose and done some other plotting and world building work, which is more than I can say of last year. I'm working on picking it up from here!

• Like 2

Uuuh...

...I got three beta readers to read the mess that is my main novel project? 😛 So there's that. I also wrote 25,000 words for NaNo, which is the highest I've ever gotten for NaNo so that's awesome. Those words are an absolute mess as well, but meh. I submitted something to an online magazine for the first time ever and got my first rejection, so yay me.

I also did a lot of world building, which is good. I mean, there are a LOT of details that I haven't even touched but I'm pretty proud of what I've come up with so far, considering how bad at world building I am.

Um...real life...

I did my first photo shoot for a non-family/friend, and it went awesome

I moved into my first apartment all by myself back in April...which means I'm, like, a little over four months away from being here for a year! 😮

• Like 1

Wow, that's a whole bunch of achievements, congrats everyone - whether it's taking writing seriously, a NaNo success story, getting married, a photo shoot or joining university, all of those are awesome achievements!

Edited by Manu
  • Like 2

- 2 new novels published

- 2 novels, a poetry and a short stories volume ready for publishing, to appear in 2019

- poetry published in 2 anthologies (3+4 poems)

- short stories published in 3 anthologies and several literary magazines.

- First prize won at a literary competition for short stories.

• Wow! 4

4 hours ago, Elena said:

- 2 new novels published

- 2 novels, a poetry and a short stories volume ready for publishing, to appear in 2019

- poetry published in 2 anthologies (3+4 poems)

- short stories published in 3 anthologies and several literary magazines.

- First prize won at a literary competition for short stories.

That's so great! Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

I took the difficult decision to quit a study that I couldn't finish because of health reasons. I am also working a lot on my mental health, currently only through daily tarot cards, but in the new year I'm back to going to my therapist. 

I found people to make a podcast with and we now have 14 episodes aired on all kinds of LARP topics. It's in Dutch otherwise I'd advertise it to you 😛. It's going really well and the community is more excited about it then I had guessed and hoped for. 

I started the webserial and I was able to do loads of research and background creation in 1,5 months time and then coming as far as 36k before I had to stop. 

I have started bullet journalling and it's really helping me keep track of multiple things, like savings and my health and stuff, but also daily tarot cards. And I'm now making one completely about tarot card meanings.

• Like 4

Wow, it looks like everyone’s had quite a few positive things this year!!! For me, I’d say my positive things are—

• I made a lot of notes and plans for Sapphire Dreaming, my first finished novel. I’m currently working on the second draft! I’ve also started Metanoia, a project near and dear to my heart.
  • I got my first car in April or so!! It’s a cute little Kia Spectra. I’m calling it Whisper, ‘cause it’s very quiet. I can’t drive it yet but I’m super stoked about it anyway 😄
  • I found a really nice counseling/therapy center that’s helped out with my depression & anxiety a lot.
  • My iron levels went up, so I’m no longer battling a vitamin deficiency!!
  • Im still looking for a new pulmonologist but I have gotten some of my health issues sorted out, and I’m on a new medication that will hopefully help with that!!
  • My sort-of stepdad left in January—he stuck around to help me out after mom died before disappearing while I was sleeping without any word. 🙄 But, the positive side of that is: I’ve come to live with my grandparents while I get my feet back under me, so I’ve gotten to see my extended family way more!
  • I got a Nintendo Switch, after saving up for about a year. I love it dearly. ❤️
  • And I found a lovely writing buddy in @kherezae
  •  

Despite a lot of negative stuff that happened this year ultimately there’s been a LOT of positive stuff too!! It was really nice to sit down and think about it, so I’m happy I saw this topic. (And that it was made!!!) 

Congratulations to everyone and I hope that next year brings just as much, if not more! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

My iron levels went up, so I’m no longer battling a vitamin deficiency!!

I feel you on that, I had super low iron this year and had to get a bunch of intravenous transfusions. I'm glad your levels are up!

Things are sounding up in general, sounds like you've had a rough year!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

I feel you on that, I had super low iron this year and had to get a bunch of intravenous transfusions. I'm glad your levels are up!

Things are sounding up in general, sounds like you've had a rough year!

I almost had to get iron shots, because my body doesn’t absorb iron very well. Luckily the pills finally started working after I took a bunch of Vitamin C! 

It was a rough year!! But I’ve pulled through and I’m pretty proud of that. 😄 

Speaking of pride—super congrats on your word count!! That’s an amazing amount of words to get through. 

23 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

I almost had to get iron shots, because my body doesn’t absorb iron very well. Luckily the pills finally started working after I took a bunch of Vitamin C! 

It was a rough year!! But I’ve pulled through and I’m pretty proud of that. 😄 

Speaking of pride—super congrats on your word count!! That’s an amazing amount of words to get through. 

I tried the pills but they aggravated my acid reflux so it was a no go. Shots weren't fun but at least it boosts levels super fast.

I'm super proud of my word count too! And it gives me a target to beat for next year 🙂

@LivvyMoore Awww same ❤️

Yeah, that does sound like a rough year! But it's amazing that you've taken so many positives even out of the hard stuff. I hope next year is smoother sailing and leads to tons of productive work on Sapphire Dreaming and Metanoia.

I also got a Switch this year! Currently my husband is obsessed with Smash Bros 😛 I'm a huge Zelda fan, though, so I definitely went hardcore geek on Breath of the Wild for a couple months!

• Like 1

Me too! I like to think positively as much as possible, so it’s nice to find all the highlights.

Congratulations on getting married!!! 😄 I’m really happy for you! 

😄 Zelda was the first and only game I had on the Switch up until about a week ago!! It’s so beautiful!!! ❤️ Probably my new fave for the franchise. (Before that it was a toss up between Twilight Princess and Ocarina!) Then I got Stardew Valley. Perfect relaxing game 😛 And I’m hoping to snag Pokémon Let’s Go after Christmas… 

I can add another accomplishment: I found a flash fiction competition three days ago, the deadline was yesterday (it was in German, otherwise I would have advertised it to you). So two days ago I sat down and worked on a flash fiction piece, and yesterday I submitted my very first story ever! I had to includ my pen name and a short author biography, and even though I've been thinking about this kind of stuff for ages (I actually decided on my pen name more than two years ago), this suddenly made it all more real. So I guess I can really call myself a writer now! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1