Jedi Knight Muse

Question of the Day #44: Character Secrets

f1yzxc.jpg

If any of your characters are hiding a huge secret, what happens when others find out? What is/are the secret(s)?

Here are my answers for Court of Shadows:

"Derric"/Ivar - Here's the funny thing about "Derric"'s secret: even he isn't fully aware of it, not until the last half of the story when he starts to slowly piece things together and realize that his memories have been messed with. So at first he's basically bombarded with a bunch of memories that come whirling back to him and he's like all RAWR ANGRY REVENGE (except not really). So then when Alana finds out, she feels kind of betrayed (even more so than she already has because at this point she's already aware that he's been spying for the dark fairy queen), but she kind of slowly accepts it because she knows it wasn't really his fault, and everything starts to dad up. When Harrow finds out, he actually puts the missing pieces together pretty quickly, because he has a magical attachment to the royal family (aka Ivar) due to being a former bodyguard for them, and he's like "OMG THE PRINCE IS ALIIIIIVE!" 😛

And here are my answers for Storms of Magic:

Arris loves Queen Cressida. It's a secret that he keeps deep down, 'cause he knows it's never going to happen due to her 1. being engaged (it's a forced engagement, though, basically) 2. being queen and his not (knowingly) being of noble blood. But his best friend, Merek, knows Arris well because, well, they're best friends. He is probably going to end up smacking Arris on the head for being a dummy when it comes to this. I haven't figured out if anything else is going to happen regarding this (i.e. the guy she's being forced into marrying finding out), though.

• Like 3

DISASTER. Mailyra has some skeletons in her closet, she killed a priest by mistake years ago and various people have been using that to manipulate her ever since. Currently she is being blackmailed to help the heist team she is on fail, and when the heist team finds out she is betraying them (willingly or not), it will cause them to fail at a critical juncture and lead to everyone getting captured. In the end though she decides to betray her blackmailers and deal with the consequences of the accidental murder in order to save the heist team.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1. 😮 Adesi is actually a faerie who is hiding among the humans in search of the right person to have a baby with so she can make a strong chimera child 😮 (she gets suckered into human culture and likes it too)

When people find out there is a lot of 😮 but I semi skipped the finding out during nano so I dont know for sure what is going on

2. 😮 Jascha "accidentally killed a princess" ... or that's his version. What really happened was the princess he was being a bodyguard for let go of him when he was rushing her and her sisters out, and so she didn't end up going through the portal. And so by the time he got back she had been attacked and killed. And so now he blames himself even though really it's not his fault.

When Sarett finds out, she is shocked (especially as he has kept it secret for many many years) and she knows he tried his best so doesn't blame him. And from there she'll try and help him heal from it.  

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

27 minutes ago, Sheepy-Pie said:

1. 😮 Adesi is actually a faerie who is hiding among the humans in search of the right person to have a baby with so she can make a strong chimera child 😮 (she gets suckered into human culture and likes it too)

When people find out there is a lot of 😮 but I semi skipped the finding out during nano so I dont know for sure what is going on

What does she want this strong chimera child for?  I'm intrigued.

So my faeries work a bit like ants, they work as a group and they dont really go outside their norm. They can't go out of their forest either, and thanks to my antag years ago, their numbers have dwindled. And so Adesi wants to right things by creating a child who can live away from the forest, who has faerie magic and human/demon type magic, and from there she can either cause chaos or help the faeries. She could help them get out of the forest and wreck the demons as revenge for destroying their numbers. 

However her creating this chimera child causes so many issues for the demons and humans which have had a relative peaceful time, it hasnt been as bad as it has in the past, and most demons want to keep it that way. They just want a space to live and food to eat (it just happens that some of that is human...) Sevastyan, my antag, says fuck off to all that. He wants to be the strongest so he can have some weird control. This chimera child could be stronger than him if genetics turns out well. 

Adesi picks a demon with fire magic so the child will have faerie abilities, plus demon strength, and fire magic. She could be the cause of a war, easily. 

A bit of a prophecy child, but I'm flipping the trope. She will be born, but she's not as special as everyone is scared of. At least not right now. I don't know what her future holds.

• Like 3

Philos, a rural shepherd who is one of my supporting characters, has a father named Erastos who used to be the king of Mycenae. However, Erastos got dethroned in a coup organized by his younger brother Scylax (the villain of the novel) and ended up retreating into the countryside, where he married a local woman and had Philos. What my protagonist Itaweret has to do is pressure Philos to reclaim his father's throne from Scylax.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sheepy-Pie said:

So my faeries work a bit like ants, they work as a group and they dont really go outside their norm. They can't go out of their forest either, and thanks to my antag years ago, their numbers have dwindled. And so Adesi wants to right things by creating a child who can live away from the forest, who has faerie magic and human/demon type magic, and from there she can either cause chaos or help the faeries. She could help them get out of the forest and wreck the demons as revenge for destroying their numbers. 

However her creating this chimera child causes so many issues for the demons and humans which have had a relative peaceful time, it hasnt been as bad as it has in the past, and most demons want to keep it that way. They just want a space to live and food to eat (it just happens that some of that is human...) Sevastyan, my antag, says fuck off to all that. He wants to be the strongest so he can have some weird control. This chimera child could be stronger than him if genetics turns out well. 

Adesi picks a demon with fire magic so the child will have faerie abilities, plus demon strength, and fire magic. She could be the cause of a war, easily. 

A bit of a prophecy child, but I'm flipping the trope. She will be born, but she's not as special as everyone is scared of. At least not right now. I don't know what her future holds.

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing. 😄  I imagine it would be a bit of a psychological problem though, if everyone is expecting big things of this child and she seems to be underwhelming.

It's not so bad because her aunt will be the one acting as her guardian and she's level headed. She'll take Caidi somewhere where people don't know who she really is so she won't have that pressure 🙂 

• Nice! 1

2 minutes ago, Sheepy-Pie said:

It's not so bad because her aunt will be the one acting as her guardian and she's level headed. She'll take Caidi somewhere where people don't know who she really is so she won't have that pressure 🙂 

Lucky for her!  Probably a good way to have her not be ultimately broken/traumatized before she has a chance to do anything. 🙂

Gotta subvert the tropes 😛 like I have a couple which dont go through the "do they dont they, will they wont they" stage so much, and I jump straight into them being FWB. There isn't much sexual tension, it's more romantic tension. 

I think I have a few more tropes I try to subvert too

• Like 2

Just now, Sheepy-Pie said:

I think I have a few more tropes I try to subvert too

I think there's a question of the day hiding in that sentence somewhere. 😛

• Haha 1

Secrets ... now where do I begin?

Malawi is full of them.  She killed a bird in the garden and left it in her sister's bed, knowing her sister's cat would get the blame.  At the age of 11, she killed a fellow student because she felt he was acting inappropriately with her best friend.  Later, she killed her best friend for getting a higher mark in an exam.  And at the age of 14, she killed her sister out of insane jealousy, because her sister's dance-card was always full and hers only had three or four names at the most.  Well, until her first victim apparently returned from the dead and demanded six dances with her. 

Somehow she managed to avoid getting caught for any of these misdemeanours.  She doesn't have sorcery skills but her powers of persuasion are awesome.  Only one of these secrets is ever revealed, due to her sister's ghost appearing in a later novel. 

• Wow! 2

3 minutes ago, Xanxa said:

Secrets ... now where do I begin?

Malawi is full of them.  She killed a bird in the garden and left it in her sister's bed, knowing her sister's cat would get the blame.  At the age of 11, she killed a fellow student because she felt he was acting inappropriately with her best friend.  Later, she killed her best friend for getting a higher mark in an exam.  And at the age of 14, she killed her sister out of insane jealousy, because her sister's dance-card was always full and hers only had three or four names at the most.

Damn, that's an awful lot of killing.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

THE MARTYR QUEEN: Alinora is so weighed down by secrets there are days she can hardly breathe. She lives under a false name, biding her time until she has strength enough to face down the man who took her homeland away and killed the people she loved. Then she's bestowed with another secret---one given to her by one of Death's Reapers. Alinora was never meant to exist, and so she is the only one who can stop the antagonist, Kai'os... and the divine patron he works for: Fate herself. To tell anyone of this would shake people's faith, something many of them desperately need in times like these. 

SAPPHIRE DREAMING: Melantha knows more about the land of Middell, Chase and Aura's destinies, and their mutual history then she can ever tell. And when those secrets come out? It has the potential to shatter the entire foundation of their relationships... and she may just lose the first, and only, friends she ever made. 

On 12/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, Mynoris said:

I think there's a question of the day hiding in that sentence somewhere. 😛

Definitely!

On 12/5/2018 at 5:35 PM, Sheepy-Pie said:

@Jedi Knight Muse one for the list! 😛

I'll probably turn it into a regular discussion so that it doesn't have to wait until the next time I decide to post a question of the day. 😛

18 hours ago, LivvyMoore said:

THE MARTYR QUEEN: Alinora is so weighed down by secrets there are days she can hardly breathe. She lives under a false name, biding her time until she has strength enough to face down the man who took her homeland away and killed the people she loved. Then she's bestowed with another secret---one given to her by one of Death's Reapers. Alinora was never meant to exist, and so she is the only one who can stop the antagonist, Kai'os... and the divine patron he works for: Fate herself. To tell anyone of this would shake people's faith, something many of them desperately need in times like these.

-Grabby hands- gimme gimme gimme!

I really want to read this, haha.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

-Grabby hands- gimme gimme gimme!

I really want to read this, haha.

Haha, thank you!!!! ❤️ This story has been stuck in my head for so long. I just wish I had more written down for it. (I’ll get there!) 

When the Brits found out that Chago wasn't the Venetian sailor he pretended to be, he was arrested as a Spanish spy, and tortured to confess. He wasn't a spy, in truth, just a mercenary arrived there to kill a mark...