Mynoris

Story Titles

I've heard it said that titles can really set up the feeling for a story, the mood or ambiance of it, or even the genre.  So I'm curious what people think of the titles I actually have.  Just give me your impression on what 'kind' of story they might belong to.  And if you have any titles you'd like looked at, we can do that too!

• A Time Before
  • Actions of the Dutiful
  • Beyond the Window
  • Conquests of Dynax
  • Darkness of Light
  • Episodes of Sorrow
  • Monster Redefined
  • Raised by Death
  • Story of a Promise
  • Tears and Roses
  • Winter Lord
  • The Low and the Mighty
  • Secrets in Ashes
  • Uncommon Evil
  • Like 1

They sound pretty good. I like the succinctness of them. "Darkness of Light" I might think was tipping the balance to a little too much, but by and large there's an evocativeness there.  Maybe try and make the chapters suggest the changing of the tone in the story, particularly towards the end. Think drama, think buildup.

3 minutes ago, bdcharles said:

They sound pretty good. I like the succinctness of them. "Darkness of Light" I might think was tipping the balance to a little too much, but by and large there's an evocativeness there.  Maybe try and make the chapters suggest the changing of the tone in the story, particularly towards the end. Think drama, think buildup.

Oh, these are all story titles, not chapter titles.  🙂  Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Cool titles!  And plenty of them!  You've been a very busy butterfly indeed!

Out of that list, those that spring off the page at me are:

• Beyond the Window
  • Darkness of Light
  • Monster Redefined
  • Raised by Death
  • Secrets in Ashes

By way of exchange, these are mine:

Already published:

• The Maker
  • Mind Games
  • Neurotic Mothers' Battleship
  • The Virian Fellowship
  • The Sunshine Acolyte
  • Malachi's Law
  • The Crystal and the Nethiyaan
  • Carrying A Torch

Still in progress are:

• The Window Man
  • The Halloriyaan
  • The Unborn Child
  • Probyt's Progress
  • Chimera Obscura

And finally, those in the planning stages, not yet written:

• The Donovan Destiny
  • The Forbidden Sorceress
  • Thanks 1

I like titles, titles are my least favourite part of the naming process.

Tears and Roses jumps out at me. Thinking some kind of tragic Sleeping Beauty or Snow White retelling (jf someone wants to try that as a prompt, go for it!)

Monster Redefined could be a YA novel about a girl learning to be a monster of some kind while dealing with a typical teenage life, and finding her own true self.

• Thanks 1

@Xanxa Oooooo, I really like Chimera Obscura.  The Veirian Followship and The Sunshine Acolyte both sound very intriguing, and there's something about Carrying a Torch that really caught my attention as well.  

Thank you for sharing which of my titles you liked. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

I like titles, titles are my least favourite part of the naming process.

Tears and Roses jumps out at me. Thinking some kind of tragic Sleeping Beauty or Snow White retelling (jf someone wants to try that as a prompt, go for it!)

Monster Redefined could be a YA novel about a girl learning to be a monster of some kind while dealing with a typical teenage life, and finding her own true self.

Both 'Tears and Roses' and 'Monster Redefined' are vampire stories.  'Tears and Roses' (which I'm not sure would be the final title) is about a girl who goes to the grave of her friend regularly.  She's attacked by a vampire there, and rescued by a 'mysterious' stranger, who ends up being her friend, risen as a vampire.  'Monster Redefined' is about a slave owning vampire who ends up with two female slaves that know what he is, and it's about how he deals with them.  The title stems from the fact that he, as the vampire, is not the most 'monstrous' character in the story, even though he's the only one openly called a monster.

• Like 1

The ones that stand out to me are:

• A Time Before
  • Winter Lord
  • Secrets in Ashes

A Time Before makes it sound kind of like a prequel or something to a novel about previous heroes that did -insert thing here about saving the world- or something. Like a journal that was written by one of them, maybe.

Winter Lord just makes me think of a fairy or mage lord or something with lots of wintry magic.

Secrets in Ashes makes me think of a long lost kingdom or magic that was lost to fire or...something like that. (I dunno, my Mageborn story was basically like that-a long lost magic kingdom was attacked and burnt down, and only a few survived the attack so they have to work to bring it back, so that's basically what it reminds me of.)

5 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

The ones that stand out to me are:

• A Time Before
  • Winter Lord
  • Secrets in Ashes

A Time Before makes it sound kind of like a prequel or something to a novel about previous heroes that did -insert thing here about saving the world- or something. Like a journal that was written by one of them, maybe.

Winter Lord just makes me think of a fairy or mage lord or something with lots of wintry magic.

Secrets in Ashes makes me think of a long lost kingdom or magic that was lost to fire or...something like that. (I dunno, my Mageborn story was basically like that-a long lost magic kingdom was attacked and burnt down, and only a few survived the attack so they have to work to bring it back, so that's basically what it reminds me of.)

A Time Before is my 2018 NaNo, and it's not a prequel, but it is a frame story about a universe that's already dead and gone.

Winter Lord is about a vampiric 'tyrant', and he gets his power from the land, and Winter is when he has to perform a ritual to make sure his land stays safe.

Secrets in Ashes is actually a really old ghost story of mine, about this girl who finds this old, burnt out farm house, and the two farm hands who died in the fire are still haunting it as ghosts.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:26 AM, Mynoris said:

@Xanxa Oooooo, I really like Chimera Obscura.  The Veirian Followship and The Sunshine Acolyte both sound very intriguing, and there's something about Carrying a Torch that really caught my attention as well.  

Thank you for sharing which of my titles you liked. 🙂

Chimera Obscura is one of my favourites too.  Like the Window Man, it's a code-name for a spy and assassin. 

The Virian Fellowship is the one where the family secrets are discovered.  The Sunshine Acolyte follows on from VF, with a new generation of characters who are the children of the MC from both the previous novels.  Carrying a Torch is the prequel to Neurotic Mothers' Battleship, VF and SA.  It's what I call my anti-romance. 

Mine are, both published and upcoming:

The Wanderers of the Seas

Lives in turmoil

Other turmoils of life

The charm of the seas

Rightness' Friends

The Crew

The second shuttle boat

The mercenary's fate and other destinies

I like:

• The Sunshine Acolyte
  • Carrying A Torch (despite the title allusion, I think it is NOT a love story, though)
  • The Unborn Child - a profecy?
  • Raised by Death
  • Story of a Promise
  • Tears and Roses
  • The Low and the Mighty - it sounds like Jane Austen or Dickens to me 😛
  • Secrets in Ashes