LivvyMoore

Favorite Secondary Characters

Do you ever have a character that you just... fall in love with? I'm not talking about your main/protagonist. I'm talking about a side character. Maybe its a POV character or a really involved side character or even just someone in the background, but you just really really love them. And maybe think too much about them, and then they end up with almost as much (if not more) detail than your main character?

I'm compiling Metanoia's cast and. I just realized how LONG one of my secondary main's backstory is. I just. Love her so much. TuT 

Do any of you have a character like that? What's their name, what are they like, what's your favorite thing about them? Gush! (You can give as much or as little detail as you like :D) 

I'll start 😉

Talitha Jade was a child prodigy, with a talent for magic that had the professors at the college scratching their heads. She breezed through university, graduating at sixteen, and went on to write several papers under a pseudonym. However, after her father allied himself with the big bad and tried to marry her and her younger sister off, she decided to get them both out of there. One thing led to another, and Talitha ended up captain of a pirate ship--eventually earning the nickname "Pirate Queen." (Her ship flies a purple flag, with the typical skull and bones, except the skull is wearing a crown.) Her ship is known as the Crimson River and she created it using a special kind of magic. It's capable of sailing both sky and sea.

She's confident almost the point of arrogance and she loves to talk. She'll talk about things for ages---mostly magical theory and history---and go off on tangents in the middle of explaining things if you don't stop her. She's very loyal to the people she calls family (her sister and crew) and is surprisingly fond of and good with kids, though she doesn't plan on having any of her own, due to her somewhat chaotic lifestyle.

I love writing her because she's just. So excitable about little things, and unlike the others, she's almost always in a good mood. (Well, not really, but she appears that way.) She's also very dedicated and hardworking, but she hides behind a Fool's facade. She's dramatic, too, and a major flirt. She isn't always nice, but she's just really fun to write for me, and as such, I've thought a little too much about her past. So now I have several pages worth of her 🤣

• Wow! 1

Ooh, this is a fun discussion topic! 😄

So, I guess the character that I would say fits into this would be Merek. He's a point of view character in my main project - the story is mainly focused on his best friend, Arris, but it switches back and forth between their viewpoints, and Merek is definitely a favorite character of mine. I feel like there's still a lot that I don't know about him or even Arris, but at the same time I think I have a better grasp of Merek than I do Arris (at least, based on what's written of the current draft).

Merek is...I mean, I think I was channeling myself a lot when I first started to write about him, because he's basically me, but a guy, and with magic. He's shy and quiet and prefers to sit back and observe things rather than be part of a conversation (aka if he was at a party, he'd be the guy sitting in the corner with a book in front of his face). He doesn't have many friends, and those he does have are ones that he really trusts and is really loyal to. I mean, the whole basis of the story is that Arris gets himself accused of murder and Merek decides to play hero by trying to prove that Arris is innocent, which gets Merek mixed up in some trouble on his own and leads him back to his homeland that he hasn't been to in like 15 years or something where he also gets to see his father and one of his brothers for the first time since then, so there's some "fun" (in quotes because it's actually sad...muahaha) family stuff that he has to deal with, too.

Merek is my bookworm character. He's really smart, and prefers to spend time with his books than with people, except for those whom he's really close to such as Arris. Arris is one of the few people who can get Merek to lighten up and relax and not be so logical all the time. They may not be brothers by blood but Merek treats Arris like one of his own brothers, and they're better brothers to each other than Merek and his own brothers were. Unfortunately Merek will have to face consequences for his actions, but it's actually a good thing for him.

Merek isn't without his flaws. He's stubborn and his smarts can make him seem arrogant at times. He and Arris are nice parallels (or I guess maybe foils? I've never purposely tried to create foil characters before, so I dunno) to each other, and they balance each other out..or, well, that's what I'm trying to go for with them, anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Ooh, this is a fun discussion topic! 😄

So, I guess the character that I would say fits into this would be Merek. He's a point of view character in my main project - the story is mainly focused on his best friend, Arris, but it switches back and forth between their viewpoints, and Merek is definitely a favorite character of mine. I feel like there's still a lot that I don't know about him or even Arris, but at the same time I think I have a better grasp of Merek than I do Arris (at least, based on what's written of the current draft).

Merek is...I mean, I think I was channeling myself a lot when I first started to write about him, because he's basically me, but a guy, and with magic. He's shy and quiet and prefers to sit back and observe things rather than be part of a conversation (aka if he was at a party, he'd be the guy sitting in the corner with a book in front of his face). He doesn't have many friends, and those he does have are ones that he really trusts and is really loyal to. I mean, the whole basis of the story is that Arris gets himself accused of murder and Merek decides to play hero by trying to prove that Arris is innocent, which gets Merek mixed up in some trouble on his own and leads him back to his homeland that he hasn't been to in like 15 years or something where he also gets to see his father and one of his brothers for the first time since then, so there's some "fun" (in quotes because it's actually sad...muahaha) family stuff that he has to deal with, too.

Merek is my bookworm character. He's really smart, and prefers to spend time with his books than with people, except for those whom he's really close to such as Arris. Arris is one of the few people who can get Merek to lighten up and relax and not be so logical all the time. They may not be brothers by blood but Merek treats Arris like one of his own brothers, and they're better brothers to each other than Merek and his own brothers were. Unfortunately Merek will have to face consequences for his actions, but it's actually a good thing for him.

Merek isn't without his flaws. He's stubborn and his smarts can make him seem arrogant at times. He and Arris are nice parallels (or I guess maybe foils? I've never purposely tried to create foil characters before, so I dunno) to each other, and they balance each other out..or, well, that's what I'm trying to go for with them, anyway.

Oooh. He sounds really interesting!! 

I love the name, first of all. (I'm biased, though, because that's my brother's middle name, though spelled differently.) Second, he sounds like a character I would TOTALLY relate to. Like, I can see a lot of myself in him! He sounds like he's probably a lot of fun to write, or that it's at least very interesting to get in his head. He sounds like someone who might be hard to read on the outside, but who's POV ends up being really long because of all the things he notices/comments on? 

11 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

Oooh. He sounds really interesting!! 

I love the name, first of all. (I'm biased, though, because that's my brother's middle name, though spelled differently.) Second, he sounds like a character I would TOTALLY relate to. Like, I can see a lot of myself in him! He sounds like he's probably a lot of fun to write, or that it's at least very interesting to get in his head. He sounds like someone who might be hard to read on the outside, but who's POV ends up being really long because of all the things he notices/comments on? 

Thank you! Haha, that's cool that it's your brother's middle name!

Haha, yeah, it is interesting to get into his head, although like I said, I feel like I still don't know a ton about him. As far as his POV being really long...mm, not so much. XD At least, again, not in the current draft, but I could totally see that as being a thing. I blame that partially on the fact that I'm not the greatest at describing settings - I can visualize how I'm imagining a place in my head, but whether or not it actually translates to being that way on paper is totally different. XD I've only been working with these characters for...wow, like 2 1/2 years already?! But I still have a lot of work to do with them and especially their world and the plot. You'd think that after that amount of time I would know them better than I do, but I feel like there are still things with Arris, especially, I don't know. He's a little more hard to visualize as far as his background goes, whereas Merek is mostly an open book to me - I knew pretty quickly that he had siblings, that he was the youngest of those siblings, that his brothers (except for the oldest) were never very nice to him, etc.

He's also totally oblivious -he's going to fall in love with...well, originally she was meant to be a bounty hunter-type character but I might change it to something else - but be mostly totally oblivious about anything going on until it's really obvious. XD (Right now his falling in love is planned for the sequel, buuut I might end up changing that...maybe. Depends on what happens with the new outline and how many chapters I end up with and all that good stuff.)

I'm hoping that I'll have the first few chapters edited some time in the next few weeks or so and will get them up onto the library, so you'll be able to read about Merek then. XD

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Haha, yeah, it is interesting to get into his head, although like I said, I feel like I still don't know a ton about him. As far as his POV being really long...mm, not so much. XD At least, again, not in the current draft, but I could totally see that as being a thing. I blame that partially on the fact that I'm not the greatest at describing settings - I can visualize how I'm imagining a place in my head, but whether or not it actually translates to being that way on paper is totally different. XD I've only been working with these characters for...wow, like 2 1/2 years already?! But I still have a lot of work to do with them and especially their world and the plot. You'd think that after that amount of time I would know them better than I do, but I feel like there are still things with Arris, especially, I don't know. He's a little more hard to visualize as far as his background goes, whereas Merek is mostly an open book to me - I knew pretty quickly that he had siblings, that he was the youngest of those siblings, that his brothers (except for the oldest) were never very nice to him, etc.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean! I have a couple of characters who are just "???" to me. (My MC's older sister, for instance---Aishlynn. One or two of my villains. And then the villain in Sapphire Dreaming I'm still playing around with 😛 Though that's because I realized halfway through that I was focusing on the wrong villain, lol.) 

Haha, descriptions are hard!! I started practicing with them a while ago. I used to look up pictures and then do my best to describe it as well as I could before making people (mostly my mom) read over them and let me know how I did. I still waffle about calling them a strongsuit, but I've had other people say they are, so when I list my strengths I tend to list those. Even if I'm not super confident on them 😛 (Describing people is still hard for me though!!) 

7 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

He's also totally oblivious -he's going to fall in love with...well, originally she was meant to be a bounty hunter-type character but I might change it to something else - but be mostly totally oblivious about anything going on until it's really obvious. XD (Right now his falling in love is planned for the sequel, buuut I might end up changing that...maybe. Depends on what happens with the new outline and how many chapters I end up with and all that good stuff.)

A bounty hunter type character sounds very interesting 😮 But I'm sure if you change it that'll be great too!! Oblivious pairings are my favorite though, even if its only one side that's oblivious XD

Also yeah 😛 Tali is meant to be paired with my main character (though this could change! It's happened before...) and they also have a long way to go... Neither of them are really emotionally prepared for a relationship. Romances are fun to write but also very difficult! 

9 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

I'm hoping that I'll have the first few chapters edited some time in the next few weeks or so and will get them up onto the library, so you'll be able to read about Merek then. XD

Oooh. I'm looking forward to it!! 😄 Whenever you can get them up there. I need to finish something that I have laying around and post it... I have a few short stories that I would love to share. But I'm so bad at them. (The short part, I mean, haha.)

27 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

But I'm sure if you change it that'll be great too!! Oblivious pairings are my favorite though, even if its only one side that's oblivious XD

I mean, it's totally possible that she'll be a bit oblivious, too, but it's mostly going to be him because he'll be so wrapped up in everything else and just wanting to hide behind his books that it's going to take a good smack over the head for him to really realize what's happening. XD That's going to be fun to write. But the one that's really going to be fun (but sad) to write is between Arris and another character, because they'll more than likely never actually end up together due to the fact that she's royalty (and technically engaged...I haven't decided what actually happens with that yet), and he's not (though he is nobility, just not from the same country). They'll most likely somewhat confront each other about their feelings (sort of, anyway), but as far as I know right now, nothing is ever going to come from it and they'll only ever be friends. This is the first time I'm writing that kind of romance, so it'll be fun. XD

39 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

Romances are fun to write but also very difficult! 

Yes! Especially when you basically have 0 experience in it yourself so you draw from real life/movies/books in order to write them. XD

40 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

But I'm so bad at them. (The short part, I mean, haha.)

ME TOO! The writing challenges have kind of helped me with that? But...I'm still not very good at writing a story that's actually a short story, they're usually...very obviously part of longer stories, even if when I write them I don't intentionally make them that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

I mean, it's totally possible that she'll be a bit oblivious, too, but it's mostly going to be him because he'll be so wrapped up in everything else and just wanting to hide behind his books that it's going to take a good smack over the head for him to really realize what's happening. XD That's going to be fun to write. But the one that's really going to be fun (but sad) to write is between Arris and another character, because they'll more than likely never actually end up together due to the fact that she's royalty (and technically engaged...I haven't decided what actually happens with that yet), and he's not (though he is nobility, just not from the same country). They'll most likely somewhat confront each other about their feelings (sort of, anyway), but as far as I know right now, nothing is ever going to come from it and they'll only ever be friends. This is the first time I'm writing that kind of romance, so it'll be fun. XD

Oh, I bet it will be!! 😄

Star-crossed lovers, you say? Sign me up for that too!! I love that kind of thing. I mean, like, when I'm reading it I just get so like. Upset because why can't they be together but I also love the tragedy of it? XD 

3 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Yes! Especially when you basically have 0 experience in it yourself so you draw from real life/movies/books in order to write them. XD

Saaame. The only experience I have is a very brief venture on a dating site, but I got too uncomfortable so I ditched XD Other than that, it's all books, movies, fanfic, real life... 😛

4 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

ME TOO! The writing challenges have kind of helped me with that? But...I'm still not very good at writing a story that's actually a short story, they're usually...very obviously part of longer stories, even if when I write them I don't intentionally make them that way.

Exactly!! Like, I'm sitting here, and I'm planning this to be about 5k, and then I hit 5k and. I'm barely into the inciting incident??? What happened??? Things spiral out of control very quickly. The challenges have helped me too, but like you said, it always feels like there's more to be told!

25 minutes ago, LivvyMoore said:

Saaame. The only experience I have is a very brief venture on a dating site, but I got too uncomfortable so I ditched XD Other than that, it's all books, movies, fanfic, real life... 😛

Yeaaah. I um...well, if anyone ever needs a good example of passive-aggression from someone from an online dating site (though thankfully you were never actually dating because he never actually asked you out), I definitely have a story for that. And then there's...long time role play friend clearly (or, well, it should have been clear but at the time it wasn't) being on the rebound (he had a fiance that was no longer his fiance...that should have been a clue) but deciding to tell you (er, well, me) that they like you as more than a friend, so you chat face-to-face on Skype, and you talk and you flirt and you talk about getting to meet in person but he wants YOU to be the one to go out there (out west, to Washington state) and refuses to come out to where you live, and he keeps making excuse after excuse for not being able to do so, and then when it gets to be more obvious that you're not going to be stupid enough to fly across the country so he can feel less lonely and have a one night stand with someone he starts wanting to talk face-to-face less and flirt less and never actually tells you that he's done with whatever "this" was until you finally confront him and he says that "long distance relationships never work out anyway" or some crap like that. Oh, and then he decides it's a good time to reveal that he's a compulsive smoker, drinker, and gambler despite the fact that you've known each other for like...at least 12 years at this point? ("This" being as of when this is going down, which was in like 2013ish. The last time I saw him online was in 2014, which...he tends to do that disappearing thing a lot, so not surprising, even without the whole thing with him telling me he liked me and leading me on for a few months (or maybe it was like...6 months) before making it clear that it wasn't going to happen any more, but only because of me confronting him :classic_rolleyes:.)

...and then you magically go back to being friends and being able to write characters who are romantically involved with each other like nothing ever actually happened. :classic_rolleyes:

...and my sister wonders why I refuse to try online dating.

Lol, sorry, I didn't mean to bring the topic off track like that. But um...yeah. I definitely draw a LOT from what I see in real life and in movies/TV shows/books.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Yeaaah. I um...well, if anyone ever needs a good example of passive-aggression from someone from an online dating site (though thankfully you were never actually dating because he never actually asked you out), I definitely have a story for that. And then there's...long time role play friend clearly (or, well, it should have been clear but at the time it wasn't) being on the rebound (he had a fiance that was no longer his fiance...that should have been a clue) but deciding to tell you (er, well, me) that they like you as more than a friend, so you chat face-to-face on Skype, and you talk and you flirt and you talk about getting to meet in person but he wants YOU to be the one to go out there (out west, to Washington state) and refuses to come out to where you live, and he keeps making excuse after excuse for not being able to do so, and then when it gets to be more obvious that you're not going to be stupid enough to fly across the country so he can feel less lonely and have a one night stand with someone he starts wanting to talk face-to-face less and flirt less and never actually tells you that he's done with whatever "this" was until you finally confront him and he says that "long distance relationships never work out anyway" or some crap like that. Oh, and then he decides it's a good time to reveal that he's a compulsive smoker, drinker, and gambler despite the fact that you've known each other for like...at least 12 years at this point?

...and then you magically go back to being friends and being able to write characters who are romantically involved with each other like nothing ever actually happened. :classic_rolleyes:

...and my sister wonders why I refuse to try online dating.

Lol, sorry, I didn't mean to bring the topic off track like that. But um...yeah. I definitely draw a LOT from what I see in real life and in movies/TV shows/books.

Don't worry, you're fine! 

Yikes!! That sounds like a really agonizing time... and NOT very fun at all! 😧 I can see why that would put you off online dating! Yikes. I'm sorry you had to go through that! 

My experience with online dating wasn't great. One guy who mentioned friends with benefits, then said he didn't mean sex? (Which you know, he may not have, but that kind of. Put me off ^^;) Another guy who wanted to meet right off the bat (the whole point, on my end, was to wait and get to know each other a bit). Another guy who was alright at first but took things a little too fast for me. (Flirting a lot; not giving me enough time to respond before he was texting me again to ask why I hadn't replied...) I ended up deleting the apps. I really need to go back and delete my profiles, but.... It was more a big clue to me that I wasn't really ready for the dating scene yet! But it was worth a try 😉

I've got a character that started out as secondary when I was first coming up with the story, but I liked him so much he became one of the main characters. I've only written a couple of chapters with him but he's a lot of fun. Charric is totally opposite from me. He's a people person, like being the centre of attention, is great at chatting people up and getting people to like him. Handsome, blond, tanned, bit of a ladies man. Actually a lot of a ladies man, he tends to sleep around a lot. He's great at charming his way into bed but doesn't know what to do once he's actually IN a relationship, so they fall apart rather fast, and he ends up single and on the prowl again. Commitment-phobe.  All his talk and chatter is to cover up his debilitating sense of inadequacy and fear that he will be forgotten. A major part of his character arc is to learn to make genuine friends, to trust them and to accept that he is valuable to people, that he doesn't have to be famous (or notorious) for people to want to be around him. He won't lose the banter though, which is just a lot of fun to write.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 9:32 AM, Penguinball said:

I've got a character that started out as secondary when I was first coming up with the story, but I liked him so much he became one of the main characters. I've only written a couple of chapters with him but he's a lot of fun. Charric is totally opposite from me. He's a people person, like being the centre of attention, is great at chatting people up and getting people to like him. Handsome, blond, tanned, bit of a ladies man. Actually a lot of a ladies man, he tends to sleep around a lot. He's great at charming his way into bed but doesn't know what to do once he's actually IN a relationship, so they fall apart rather fast, and he ends up single and on the prowl again. Commitment-phobe.  All his talk and chatter is to cover up his debilitating sense of inadequacy and fear that he will be forgotten. A major part of his character arc is to learn to make genuine friends, to trust them and to accept that he is valuable to people, that he doesn't have to be famous (or notorious) for people to want to be around him. He won't lose the banter though, which is just a lot of fun to write.

Ooooh, he does sound like a lot of fun!! I can see why he got upgraded XD

He'd probably get along well with Tali, actually 😛

Yes, and whenever I do this, I get so tempted to go off track for a while and fill in some more about them, or accidentally start making the main character's thoughts too centered on that character. This is something that is not a problem in writing theatre LARPs, thankfully, because in those, every secondary character in someone's backstory or otherwise is, most likely, just another player character who gets their own story as the main character for themselves. If everyone feels they are a main character, everyone is a secondary character to each other, and all secondary characters are fleshed out and given love! I think that's wonderful. It's just so hard in more linear fiction!

• Like 1

I have a secondary character named Tevis Tremaine that has become a favorite of mine recently.  His character has sort of oozed in and out of the story's evolution for years.  At first he was a trickster god, then an antagonist, then one of the MC's lovers, and then into what he is now.  Tevis is the sort of person you look at and ask, "How did you survive this far?"  He's incredibly impulsive, likes to take risks, gambles, indulges in too much drink and smoke, and generally looks at life with a lazy grin and an inclination to stir the pot.

He chafed under his parents' raising as a child.  He wanted to be out in the woods tracking and trapping instead of farming and homesteading.  He also never got the hang of religion.  His parents were devout worshippers of the home, hearth, and harvest goddess and kept to strict prayer schedules.  Tevis never saw the point.  When his family died due to conflicts with a local Mexican garrison (this is roughly 1830 in Texas, so the War hasn't started yet) Tevis escaped and buried his guilt in vice until he discovered his power of Wayfinding.  That power opened what he dubbed the Under Roads, a collection of roads he could travel that took him behind the veil of this world and allowed him to re-enter at another point.  He was snatched up by the Texan army and stationed at the Alamo.  When things turned bad he used to Roads to escape, but branded himself a coward because he left the rest of the soldiers to their fate.

The only person who knows all of this is Viv, his best friend and fellow Texas Ranger.  She talked him into joining the rangers as a way to atone for his mistakes, after she fished him out of a whiskey bottle, that is.  Viv is like a rough, kind-hearted, and thoroughly unimpressed bear of a sister.  She keeps him on track, keeps him clean, and together they go off rangering wherever they are needed.  He still gets up into tricks and trouble, but she's usually there to help him finish it.  Viv comes from a large family but now is reduced to a few siblings and Viv's wife, who runs a dry goods store and wishes things would calm down so Viv could spend more time at home.  That means putting up with Tevis as well, but Tevis is sort of like a fungus.  He grows on you.

I'm just itching to write a stand alone book Tevis and his exploits with Viv.  But right now they are relegated to secondary characters in my main story.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 9:14 PM, Zovi said:

Yes, and whenever I do this, I get so tempted to go off track for a while and fill in some more about them, or accidentally start making the main character's thoughts too centered on that character. This is something that is not a problem in writing theatre LARPs, thankfully, because in those, every secondary character in someone's backstory or otherwise is, most likely, just another player character who gets their own story as the main character for themselves. If everyone feels they are a main character, everyone is a secondary character to each other, and all secondary characters are fleshed out and given love! I think that's wonderful. It's just so hard in more linear fiction!

It really is!! That sounds like such a lovely aspect to LARPing 😄

On 1/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, TricksterShi said:

I have a secondary character named Tevis Tremaine that has become a favorite of mine recently.  His character has sort of oozed in and out of the story's evolution for years.  At first he was a trickster god, then an antagonist, then one of the MC's lovers, and then into what he is now.  Tevis is the sort of person you look at and ask, "How did you survive this far?"  He's incredibly impulsive, likes to take risks, gambles, indulges in too much drink and smoke, and generally looks at life with a lazy grin and an inclination to stir the pot.

He chafed under his parents' raising as a child.  He wanted to be out in the woods tracking and trapping instead of farming and homesteading.  He also never got the hang of religion.  His parents were devout worshippers of the home, hearth, and harvest goddess and kept to strict prayer schedules.  Tevis never saw the point.  When his family died due to conflicts with a local Mexican garrison (this is roughly 1830 in Texas, so the War hasn't started yet) Tevis escaped and buried his guilt in vice until he discovered his power of Wayfinding.  That power opened what he dubbed the Under Roads, a collection of roads he could travel that took him behind the veil of this world and allowed him to re-enter at another point.  He was snatched up by the Texan army and stationed at the Alamo.  When things turned bad he used to Roads to escape, but branded himself a coward because he left the rest of the soldiers to their fate.

The only person who knows all of this is Viv, his best friend and fellow Texas Ranger.  She talked him into joining the rangers as a way to atone for his mistakes, after she fished him out of a whiskey bottle, that is.  Viv is like a rough, kind-hearted, and thoroughly unimpressed bear of a sister.  She keeps him on track, keeps him clean, and together they go off rangering wherever they are needed.  He still gets up into tricks and trouble, but she's usually there to help him finish it.  Viv comes from a large family but now is reduced to a few siblings and Viv's wife, who runs a dry goods store and wishes things would calm down so Viv could spend more time at home.  That means putting up with Tevis as well, but Tevis is sort of like a fungus.  He grows on you.

I'm just itching to write a stand alone book Tevis and his exploits with Viv.  But right now they are relegated to secondary characters in my main story.  

Ooooooh, he sounds like a lot of fun! I love the evolution of his character---and can relate to that, as my characters changed so much before I got them to where they are now. He sounds like a lot of fun to write, and to read about!!

• Like 1

I really enjoyed reading about your secondary characters, it is totally inspiring, and I immediately thought of one of my own.

Her name is Mildred, 19, a working class girl in late Victorian England and a previous work-mate to my FMC.  What I love most about her is that she's trying very hard to be a lady, but fails so miserably. She works hard at keeping her clothes, shoes and hats looking posh (a struggle because of poverty), but she also talks too loud and too much, gestures too much and reacts too fiercely. She gets angry when she's jealous, her ego is easily bruised, and she can't keep those things hidden at all. Her social mask... Well, it's got a lot of cracks, lol. She just livens up all the scenes she's in and I adore her. Her character definitely inspired the MC in my new WIP to do and say more stuff without thinking too much. 

I just love a character who has a wild child inside that just won't be silenced.  

• Like 1

I love my secondary character Kali, he's one of my favourites, such a cinnamon roll. He totally wears his heart on his sleeve just like me, and yet is tough and strong, and has this heart of gold. He's fiercely loyal to his sister who he has had to protect cause of her declining health, against their sister (they are triplets) who thinks the other sister should be basically left where other "weak" demons go. But Kali will fight to his dying breath to stop that, even if that means doing ridiculously dangerous things to keep her safe. He definitely doesn't pay attention to himself enough, cause he's too busy caring for others. And when romantic attention comes his way, he's a bit naive 😛

He goes with the flow and takes it all in his stride, as if he knew what was going on all along.

He's also such a mummy's boy, so he has a biiiiig sad cause he lost her a long time ago.

• Like 2

So far, my favorite secondary character is probably Philos, probably because he has the most interesting backstory and is the secondary character that reflects myself the most. He's a young Bronze Age Greek shepherd whose father was once the king of Mycenae until the latter got forced off the throne and ended up retreating into the countryside. What Philos basically has to do is take back his father's throne/

Also, Philos has the (initially unrequited) hots for my MC, the Egyptian priestess Itaweret. As someone who has had to cope with unrequited desires for women many times in my life, that's a feeling I know all too well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LivvyMoore said:

Ooooooh, he sounds like a lot of fun! I love the evolution of his character---and can relate to that, as my characters changed so much before I got them to where they are now. He sounds like a lot of fun to write, and to read about!!

Thank you!  He loves taking center stage with dramatic flair when he gets on the page, I can't wait to write a rollicking adventure story for him. 😄

I love your pirate queen!  And the concept of how she created her ship and what it can do, I'd love to read a book about her.  I've got a soft spot for pirates, Anne Bonney and Mary Read were my first exposure to female pirates and I spent a lot of my teenage years reading about them.  

• Like 1