Jedi Knight Muse

Question of the Day #45: Murder

9.gif

Has your MC ever killed anyone? If so, what was the situation? How did they feel about it? If not, could they ever kill anyone?

If you have any suggestions for more questions of the day, you can reply to this post with them!

• Like 1

Thalassa was driven to murder by extreme circumstances, and she would do it again! Her mother went off the rocker with blood worship, and was sacrificing all the local spirits, causing localized disasters that threatened to spread, and people were getting hurt. Her mother was starting to look at her a bit too closely and she did what she had to, for self defense. Did it break her to do it? Yes. Would she do it again? Absolutely.

• Like 2

Alinora has killed before—she works as an assassin. She’s very selective about the jobs she takes, when she can be. She’s spending her time prepping for the day she can kill Kai’os, the man who took everything from her. 

Aura has never killed before. Not with her own two hands. She blames herself for two people’s deaths, believes that her actions/decisions killed them, but she didn’t actually fire the arrows that took them out. She nearly lost herself in guilt over it.

Could she kill? Probably. But it would haunt her for the rest of her life. 

• Like 1

In Traitor:

Xire: yes. She was enslaved as a gladiator and taught herself to shut down her emotions to deal with it. She's very practical and survival oriented, so she would not hesitate to kill again if it seemed necessary.

Tirin: yes. He got into a fight with his father and it escalated to violence. It seriously screwed his life over and messed up his self-perceptions. He regrets it and sees himself as irredeemable. He doesn't want to kill anyone else, but since he already has blood on his hands sees it as selfish to avoid necessary violence.

Isar: not consciously. there's some weird possession stuff going on with this one 🙂

Shae: no, but she would. She tried to kill her best friend because she testified against Shae's brother. She failed, but would try again given the opportunity. Well, actually, she did make a giant sinkhole and probably killed a few soldiers that way, so I guess the answer might be yes. No regrets on her part.

In Ashes Fall Down:

Blaze: yes. He's a soldier, so he's killed people in battle.

Evahn: no, and she probably couldn't. Given that she already blames herself for several hundred deaths, most specifically the death of her bodyguard. Actually killing someone else would wreck her.

• Like 3

My late response to my own questions:

I have a character in my main project who was accused of murder, due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's a (former) queen's guard, but so far there's never been a reason as a queen's guard for him to kill (i.e. an attack on the palace or something).

In the same project, I haven't had this actually happen, but of anyone who would probably be likely to murder someone as part of a revenge thing, it would be Merek, for his family being murdered. He's really not the murdering/killing type, although that doesn't mean he couldn't be in the future...mwuahaha. 😄

In my NaNo, Court of Shadows: The Forgotten Throne, I had Harrow kill some bandits that tried to steal from Alana and kidnap her. Harrow is a sort of wanderer/mercenary/bodyguard, and he has the experience and skills for killing if/when necessary. Many years ago, he was in training to become a Vanguard, which is a bodyguard to the royal family of the Autumn fairy kingdom in the south, until one day when the family was attacked. Many of the royal family, court members and Vanguard, including Harrow's older brother and father, were killed that day. He was only around seventeen or so years old (in human years, anyway), so he couldn't do much to stop the attack. Since then, he's continued honing his skills, wandering around taking on certain kinds of jobs, learning how to use the forest and the animals within it to his advantage to survive. I haven't fully developed him as a character yet, so whether or not he's the vengeful sort is currently up in the air, though he certainly wouldn't say no if he had the opportunity to kill the woman responsible for the attack that day. XD

• Like 3

Most of my historical characters had killed, either in war or in self defense. They had to do it, it was part of the survival or complying with orders.

The ones in the YA contemporary novels hadn't killed and wouldn't. (Well, I am talking about the main characters. The villains have done it sometimes).

• Like 1

Hm.  Well, the title says murder, but the question says killing, and there's quite a distinction there.

My project's MC is the Goddess of Death, so in a way, she's killed everyone who has ever died.  Other than that, it's complicated.  As a Goddess, she never actually struck anyone down that wasn't already dying.  In her various mortal lives she's killed a few people.  After her universe was destroyed, as an immortal, but non-divine, being she has killed a lot of people across wars and jobs as a mercenary and other various things.  She doesn't have much issue killing people at all.  However, killing children is not her thing, and she's very much against suffering.  Though it would be hilarious to have a God/Goddess of Death that was squeamish about killing.  Hmmmmm.

• Like 2

Several of my MCs in various novels are assassins, so yes, they've committed murders.  Often at a relatively young age.

Starting with my trained assassins:

In "The Window Man", Lyle is fifteen when he carries out his first contract killing - the favoured servant of the man who tried to have his father poisoned.  The murder is sending a clear message that it's easy to infiltrate the household.  During the course of the story, he commits various other murders.

In "Chimera Obscura", Andreas kills a bully at the tender age of eight.  It's not strictly murder, since he only intended to give the lad a good beating.  However, the build-up of many previous encounters with the bully meant that he became enraged and could not stop.  He becomes a trained spy and assassin later, so that's not his only kill.

In "The Halloriyaan", there is a "kill list" and several of my trained assassins carry out the murders.  The targets are known terrorists who have bombed public places and killed many innocent citizens, so my assassins consider that they're doing a service to the community.

In "The Unborn Child" Anwyn is abducted by one of her supposedly trustworthy tutors.  She ends up killing the tutor.  Although it's self-defence, it later transpires that the tutor was plotting against the family, so it's considered a legitimate kill on behalf of the family.  Again, she's trained for such work and goes on to kill others.

Those who weren't trained as assassins:

In "The Maker" and "Mind Games, the characters become involved in war, so there are multiple killings throughout.

In "Neurotic Mothers' Battleship" and "The Virian Fellowship", there are various clashes between rival clans and gangs, resulting in loss of life.

In "The Sunshine Acolyte", a mentor kills to protect his protegee.  There's also a sorcery duel near the end.  Neither of the combatants survives.

In "Malachi's Law", Malachi becomes possessed by an evil spirit/demon, leading him to commit murder and destroy his previous good reputation.

In "The Crystal and the Nethiyaan", thirteen year old Theo murders a priest and a concubine.  There is a fierce battle near the end, resulting in several other killings.

In "Carrying A Torch", eleven year old Malawi murders a fellow student because she considers his behaviour towards her best friend inappropriate.  Later, she kills her best friend (pre-meditated), a tourist (on a whim) and her sister (pre-meditated).

I'm sure there will be others ...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 5:02 PM, Jedi Knight Muse said:

9.gif

Has your MC ever killed anyone? If so, what was the situation? How did they feel about it? If not, could they ever kill anyone?

If you have any suggestions for more questions of the day, you can reply to this post with them!

I am not sure why, but I very much enjoy when a MC character kills people... lol. It just feels more real to me. Killing for no reason gets annoying, but whatever the motivation to do it, as long as they have a strong motivation to kill in some way, I usually love it!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 7:08 PM, Burnstein said:

I am not sure why, but I very much enjoy when a MC character kills people... lol. It just feels more real to me. Killing for no reason gets annoying, but whatever the motivation to do it, as long as they have a strong motivation to kill in some way, I usually love it!

@Burnstein Check out a book called Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. It sounds right up your alley 🙂 and it's one of my favourite books!

Now, where do I even start with this?! Seriously?! My MCs often kill people for all sorts of reasons, food, survival, by accident, because they are the goddess of Death 😛 

It's a huge theme which hangs around me, I can kill any character off, I'm not afraid to, I'm as murderous as my own characters 😮

In my novel Sarett must kill demons or be killed herself essentially, the demons kill humans for food. It's rarely a human vs human thing with me, although one short story MC sort of killed another by leaving their consciousness in a void. She had killed other men before that though, all for her own gain as she was building an army.

Only one character kills more senseless and that's my antag of my novel, he's a grade A twat. He does have reasons though, I dont have any characters who kill for no reason.

And of course all my characters feel different ways about taking another life, the demons see it more as normal and gathering food - so more way of lifey. One MC accidentally caused a death (which isnt so true, it was more her fault than his) and it's stuck with him forever, so much that he is very careful and gets panicky at people close to him dying. He keeps all of this under this cool layer of jokey fun to hide it from everyone. 

• Like 2

My MC's haven't killed anyone yet.  Though they definitely will once they hit book 3.  

They certainly feel as if they've caused certain deaths.  In book one there is a monster attack that Taz sensed was coming, but being only 10yrs old she didn't realize what she was feeling and she was so afraid she forced the magic she shares with Fred to hide them both rather than fight back as Fred wants to once the attack is underway.  They end up burying a lot of people after that and it weighs on both of them.

They...technically kill their main enemy at the end of book 2, but not really?  They bury him alive and he gets stuck between this world and the next.  He definitely deserves it so I'm gonna enjoy writing that part.  🙃

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TricksterShi said:

They bury him alive and he gets stuck between this world and the next.  He definitely deserves it so I'm gonna enjoy writing that part.

That sounds really interesting, I love it! I also really like characters who feel they caused deaths. Guilt; it's the most delicious thing ever in a story. Like butter. Good luck with your story!

So, to the question: My main characters usually don't kill, and I always feel super-awkward if they have to. I do have a close secondary character killer, an army assassin who murdered two fellow soldiers to save my two MCs from being hanged for slandering the new prince. He has a hard time quitting his old ways, and his suggestions to serious problems are usually a swift knife to the throat. But he's a swell guy though. Loves animals and just wanna settle down in a cosy cottage in a nice village. He got what he wanted in the end. I'm nice like that. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 3:20 PM, Sheepy-Pie said:

@Burnstein Check out a book called Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. It sounds right up your alley 🙂 and it's one of my favourite books!

😮

Nevernight!  I got that for Christmas, along with the sequel, Godsgrave, and another Kristoff trilogy.  Really looking forward to reading them.

14 hours ago, Xanxa said:

Nevernight!  I got that for Christmas, along with the sequel, Godsgrave, and another Kristoff trilogy.  Really looking forward to reading them.

Ohhh was it Illuminae? There is the lotus trilogy which I havent read, and also the first book in another trilogy called Lifel1k3 AND he is publishing 3 books this year 😐 the man is a writing machine! I'd love to know what you think of it as nobody I know has read them yet so I can't fangirl properly hahaha

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 4:38 PM, Sheepy-Pie said:

Ohhh was it Illuminae? There is the lotus trilogy which I havent read, and also the first book in another trilogy called Lifel1k3 AND he is publishing 3 books this year 😐 the man is a writing machine! I'd love to know what you think of it as nobody I know has read them yet so I can't fangirl properly hahaha

Not heard of Illuminae.  The trilogy I have is a new genre for me - Japanese steampunk.  The novels are called Stormdancer, Kinslayer and Endsinger.  I took a long time reading reviews before deciding to give it a go. 

Three books this year?  I'll have to look out for them.  Thanks for the heads-up.

@Xanxa that's the lotus trilogy 🙂 let me know how it goes cause I have been umming and ahhing over it!

Yeah, two are sequels and one is a new book. His new first book is called Aurora Rising 🙂

He has such an insane schedule I don't know how he does it!