Jedi Knight Muse

Question of the Day #46: Diffcult Choices

In my current WIP, I'd say the most difficult choice of Anwyn's life is when she supports her mentor, Uncle Claude, in his decision to attack an enemy facility.  She knows the family alliance is not fully prepared to undertake such a bold and risky attack.  But she loves and respects Claude, so she refuses to go against him.  As for what happens during the attack, SPOILERS!!

Marina from "The Crew" had to choose between her father (who was doing illegal things) and the law (and honour in general, and the life of a friend's father).  Em from "The Rightness' Friends" had to choose between her future (her studies) and her lover.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elena said:

choose between her father (who was doing illegal things) and the law (and honour in general, and the life of a friend's father)

Ooofff, what would hurt most there is the knowledge that if you support your own father, you could end up with the death of your friend's. Just thinking about having to make a choice that big hurts my soul a little! I can't even imagine getting into that sort of situation. 

My book is still very young, so so far the hard choice is for Alma to decide to rely on Aevum. She doesn't trust his morals (his moral compass allows him to do "bad" things in the name of "good"), but he may have the only kind of magic which can help her. 

• Like 2

One of my characters from the story I'm outlining is being blackmailed, she accidentally killed someone important in the past, and this group is holding it over her head to force her to betray her new team, as she would be put to death if the murder was discovered. But the group pushes too hard and she has to decide between preserving her own life and preserving the lives of the team that is becoming like family.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

My MC Fred has to choose between her mother and her sister.  Her mother has worked all her life to rise up in their society and cultivate respect for her witchcraft and it's finally happened now that they've reached the settlement.  Only she's being influenced by another witch who has a lot of plans for Fred and her sister, none of which are the direction they want to go in their lives.  Finally, it comes down to what Fred's willing to live with, and it won't be a cage of someone else's choosing.  

Great question, because a difficult choice is such a great way to raise tension in a story. My female MC in "Being Green" needs to choose between the decades-long plan to avenge her brother's death (by committing a serious crime), or look to the future and the unplanned new friendship with a policeman neighbour which is akin to finding a true family.  

I think it's time I answer my own question. 😛

So, I still need to work on the...details of this, I guess, a little more, but one of the decisions Merek has to make in Storms of Magic is whether to free Arris, who is wrongly accused of murder, from prison and accept whatever consequences might come his way. Arris is his best friend, and even more of a brother to him than his biological brothers, so he'd basically do anything for him.

Right now with the way it's written, Arris doesn't really have to make any tough decisions, although I suppose this counts - at the end of the story, he decides that he's no longer going to be a queen's guard, and is going to go off to the fairy homeland to learn more about his birthright and magic (whatever that might actually entail. I've been struggling to figure that out, which is a problem since he's a main character and the plot revolves around him).

• Like 1

So this could change later, but right now, the most difficult decisions I have planned for my characters are:

Sapphire Dreaming

• Melantha has to choose whether or not to tell Chase and Aura the truth, about their memories, the world they've found themselves in, and Melantha's own past/birthright.
  • Chase and Aura then have to choose whether or not they believe her, and whether or not to continue trusting her. 

Metanoia 

• Alinora has to choose whether or not she wants to give up trying to defeat Kai'os on her own, and join up with a group of total strangers to fight with instead. Given her general trust issues and deep paranoia, it's a really difficult choice for her. (However, another choice that she has to make later, which should be more difficult, she makes easily.)

Like I said, though, all of those could change 😉