Manu

2019 Goals and Resolutions

Happy New Year, Worldsmyths!

Feuerwerk_ulm.jpg

I wish all of you a happy New Year, all the best for 2019, and I hope you will reach your goals and make your dreams come true!

Speaking of which: What are your goals for 2019, writing-wise and in life?

• Like 3

I decided that I want to take writing more seriously, and I have several goals how to make that happen:

• Make my author homepage (high priority), and maybe social media accounts (low priority)
  • Since I submitted my very first short story in 2018, my goal for 2019 is submitting more short stories than in 2018 - I'll still have to make up my mind if I will be fine with two or if I want to set a higher goal.
  • I was planning to finish a novel in 2018, which RL interfered with. I will try to finish the same novel in 2019.
  • I joined a feedback group, and my goal is to actively take part, and see if I can learn something there.

Other goals in life:

• Learn a lot of new stuff in my new editing job (which still isn't 100% sure I'll get, but I hope so!)
  • Take more time for my garden (the same RL stuff that kept me from reaching my 2018 writing goals also kept me from taking care of my garden, so lately it has rather been a jungle).
  • Do a lot of sightseeing and crazy stuff with my new partner.
  • Exercise regularly again and hopefully get rid of my back and neck pain.
  • Enjoy life.

• Like 3

Wishing all denizens of this site a productive and hopefully prosperous New Year.

My writing-related goals are:

• Finish my in-depth revision of "The Unborn Child"
  • Fine-tune, proof-read and format "The Window Man" and get it published (self-publishing)
  • Finish "The Halloriyaan"
  • Finish "Probyt's Progress"
  • If I achieve those, get started on my two planned novels.

My other goals are:

• Get out more socially
  • Attend more events in my local community
  • Continue with helping to organise local events
  • Increase my level of physical fitness
  • Like 3

Ooh, let's see...

Writing goals (not necessarily all in this order):

• Edit/rewrite Storms of Magic
    • Plot out and write sequel (depending on how things go with editing/rewrite, try to do this by March-June, just to have the full outline)
    • Come up with outline for overall trilogy
    • Do more world building
    • Try to do some side stories involving Arris/Merek etc to get back into their heads again.
    • Submit the first 1-3 chapters (after editing/rewriting them) to the library for feedback. Get more alpha reader feedback.
  • Apparently I'm going to be printing out my NaNo novel (aka Court of Shadows: The Forgotten Throne) so that at the very least I can go through and edit and make notes, even if I don't plan on actually doing anything else with it right away.
  • Standalone novel (possibly for Camp NaNo in April 2019) - The Raven Prince
    • Start outlining in March
    • Story of Ivar, prince of the Autumn fairy kingdom, and the events leading up to the attack on the kingdom and up to the point when Alana comes into the picture (most likely)
    • Work on world building
    • Maybe start exploring more with this character/what I've done for world building with him/his kingdom so far...i.e. the dragon guardians that the fairies are allies with.
  • Story of prince who becomes a partial golum (possible short story)
  • Rewrite/Continue Court of Shadows: The Forgotten Throne
    • Goal: maybe by summertime
  • Rewrite/continue Mageborn (old project)
  • Try to submit something somewhere again at some point
  • Write more stories focusing on fairies, because I'm really finding it to be fun, overall.

Life goals:

• Find a full time job. I've been in retail way too long. I'm going to go crazy if I'm stuck in the same job in the same position for another year, and I deserve to know what it's like to actually work a full time job. I have two degrees, I should be able to use them towards something without having to go back to school for a third time to get my bachelor's degree.
  • Start getting more serious about my photography. Take on more clients to do photo sessions with. Maybe find someone to mentor me about the business side of things.
  • Lose weight.

• Like 5

2019 is going to be the year I focus more on the business of my writing and get it going to start making income.

Writing goals:

• Finish 'Heart of the Darkness' draft, put through edits and rewrites, then self publish.
  • Start next book in the series
  • Outline stand alone projects (Mermaid Radio, Hellside Diner, and Butterfly Bones)
  • Blog on my author website consistently.
  • Find a few social media platforms I can consistently use to connect with an audience.
  • Nail down a consistent schedule for everything above.

Life goals:

• Walk my dogs on the weekends when it's nice.
  • Start building a savings.
  • Read more.
  • Work on some art decorations for the walls.
  • Like 3

Writing goals:

January

• Write, edit, submit a story about invisible illnesses
  • Submit application to the Room 204 Writer Development Programme

February

• Edit Ramblings... to submit

General

• Finish writing half finished stories
  • Edit pieces which aren't ready to submit
  • Continue to submit to places
  • Finish writing the first draft of my novel once I have gone back and mapped out the list of events so I can add back in some scenes (as I can't continue right now)
  • Edit said novel
  • Write more short stories
  • Try to write more to my short story anthology on the Zodiac
  • Be more active on Twitter

Life goals:

• Basically do better
  • Try and deal with the mess which is our front room and bedroom
  • Try to not let some opinions get to me <- that one is a big one
  • Like 3

My next goal for my writing journey is to get better at editing and polishing. I've proven to myself in 2018 that I can complete first drafts of projects, it is time to move beyond that.

Overall goals:

• Write more than I did last year. I re-tallied everything and wrote ~134k words last year, so 150k words would be a nice round goal (that includes notes and outlines as well as prose)
  • Publish something and get paid for it

More specific goals

• Write a novel outside of NaNoWriMo
  • Edit all the short stories in my to do list
  • Edit The Star Mirror and polish it up for beta reading
  • Make nice thorough outline for untitled Heist story
  • Write more short stories and polish them for submission
  • Try writing fanfiction again
  • Like 3

Happy New Year, Worldsmythians! My goals for 2019 would be to:

- Finish editing "Coins and Curses" and submitting it, hopefully within a month or two. I'm trying to edit two chapters a day. 

- Revise my plot a bit and write missing chapters for "Being Green", my WIP witch story. Edit and submit, hopefully before the fall.

- Looking for a plot for my Dystopian Fantasy and write that. 

- Stop worrying so much about everything. 

Writing goals are the only resolutions I make honestly these days, because I tend to keep them. Any others... Well, I usually break them, and I don't need that kind of negativity in my life, lol! It was fun to read about everyone else's resolutions, and I hope you all get there this year. :)

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone!! 😄 

2019 Writing Goals

• Finish Metanoia and Sapphire Dreaming's drafts, and start editing before the end of the year.
    • May do one of the NaNo Camps to do this...
  • Finish a short story or two. (And keep them under 15k.) Maybe make a short story compilation?
  • Enter a writing contest!
  • Come up with a semi-realistic writing schedule. I know I can't write every day, but I'd like to start writing somewhat regularly. 

2019 Life Goals

• Actually finish my Goodreads reading challenge. (The last couple of years, my goal has been 52 books, but I usually get around 30. Still decent! But I can do better 😉)
  • Finish all the unread books sitting in my room. 
  • Figure out what's causing my fatigue and start to manage it properly.
  • Ace my spring classes, without constantly submitting everything at the last minute.
  • Get my license. (I absolutely hate being behind the wheel, but also I hate being almost 21 and not having my license!!)
  • Get back into playing Dungeons and Dragons. (I don't really see this happening because the internet is so bad around here, but it's something I'd like to do, so I'm adding it anyway!)

I think that covers everything? 

• Like 1

Happy New Year! Very inspirational goals everyone - I hope you experience a lot of joy and success in your endeavours to meet those goals! 

2019 Writing Goals

• Become a writer

This may sound like a strange goal - I mean what exactly qualifies one as a writer? I'm going to start with the idea that a writer is someone who writes and it's an integral part of who they are. However, this goal is linked to a book my partner recently read on habits (called Atomic Habits for anyone who's interested) and one of the key messages was that if we want to change a habit or set a goal (e.g. write more, get a certain job, lose weight, quit smoking, etc.), it helps to think of that thing as a part of who you are (e.g. become a writer, become a person who does that particular job, become a healthier person, become a non-smoker). That's probably not the best way of explaining it, but basically we respond better if we think about it as a part of us (for example, apparently we're more likely to succeed if we think about it as becoming a healthier person versus I want to lose 20 kg). Obviously you still need to have sub-goals to help with the practical aspect of meeting your overall goal (e.g. identifying small changes in habits that will help you reach that bigger goal).

I've yet to identify my sub-goals for my goal of becoming a writer. I'm hesitant about setting a particular frequency for writing sessions, but I think that's the best way. Maybe something like write once a week (any day, whatever length of time) and then maybe increase that. I think a key part of this goal is also to start submitting things, but before I can do that, I think it would be super important to start participating in the review of other work. I'm guilty of not really reading other work posted here so this year I want to play more of an active role and starting commenting on other people's work. I think it'll help me with my writing as well, plus I'm hoping it'll generate some goodwill so that if I ever post anything it might get a comment or two or I might even find a writing buddy.

2019 Life Goals

• Specific gym goals in terms of weights and reps and stuff (won't bore anyone with those)
  • Set up a schedule for re-acquainting myself with some (or all?) of the languages I studied in school/university
  • Do well in my new job (which starts on Monday - eeee)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amblygon said:

2019 Writing Goals

• Become a writer

I think I know what you mean by this, since its my overall multi-year goal as well. I'm calling it my 'writing journey'. 2015-2017 was mostly NaNoWriMo and note-taking, but that proved to myself I could develop ideas. 2018 I wrote short stories outside of NaNo and proved to myself I can write a semi coherent first draft. 2019 is the next step, polishing and editing stories and improving my handle on the writing craft. 2020 will probably be focused on speeding up the writing process, but we'll see what happens by this time next year.

• Like 2

Okay, so I think one of the goals I'm also possibly adding to my list is to try and do at least a little bit of world/character building a week for Court of Shadows. I have, like, 30+ "files" in Scrivener right now, most of which have hardly any or no information at all. So, I'm thinking that I might figure out some kind of a loose "schedule," and a loose deadline, to try and add information to two or three of these "files." I'm not looking to add tons and tons and tons of information into them, really, but I want to at least add a few paragraphs or more to a few files each week/maybe each day if I'm feeling really focused.

So, that is a thing. I want to work on world building a bit at a time.

Ooo, I like the idea of separate writing and life resolutions. Let's think:

Writing Goals:

• Write 10k words in Darkening Kit
  • Write 10k words in Eindothlon
  • Write at least 30k of prose total, with at least 45k of prose + worldbuilding + etc
  • Complete my writer profile and post something to Worldsmyths every other month (ideally I'd hit every month, but I know that's not realistic with my schedule)

Life Goals:

• Acquire and complete a summer internship (I'm feeling hopeful about an interview I have today!)
  • Pass the MPRE
  • Figure out a long term solution for at least one of my medical issues

I don't have any proper writing goals. Sure, I want to write every day, but I can't do that, that's way too much pressure which leads to anxiety. I want to rewrite the draft of The Years Between Us, but I know doing that would remind me of the time spent in the psych ward (I wrote most of it while in there), and I don't want that, at least not intensely. I want to take part in NaNoWriMo and earn another win, but with my mental health being what it is, I don't know if I can do it. I have dreams and wants, not goals, simply because I'd rather not disappoint myself if my mind decides "hey it's time to stay in bed for two months and do nothing productive the entire time". I don't do well with disappointment.

As for life goals, I'd like to keep our home clean and tidy, exercise more, eat less pizza... the latter two might help me manage my fibromyalgia and my sleep apnea.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:59 PM, naava said:

As for life goals, I'd like to keep our home clean and tidy, exercise more, eat less pizza... the latter two might help me manage my fibromyalgia and my sleep apnea.

As a fellow Fibromite, keep the pizza 😛 you deserve it. It's usually about changing the little things anyway, and sometimes certain foods do nothing for or against helping. For example lots of people have said cutting back on sugar/chocolate helped them, so I tried it and it did nothing. THANKFULLY. So I get to keep it all 😛