Sign in to follow this  
Penguinball

Novel Completion Time

Edit: I'm bringing this back from the archive, seeing that its a new year (which means new novels) and I find this super helpful to motivate myself.

Words Per Day Days to Finish Weeks to Finish Months to Finish Goal
444 203 29 7 90000
600 150 21.5 5 90000
1000 90 13 3 90000
1200 75 11 2.5 90000
1500 60 8.5 2 90000
1667 54 8 1.8 90000
2000 45 6.5 1.5 90000
2500 36 5 1.2 90000

It can be tough to see progress when you are writing a little bit each day, which can in turn make it harder to want to write every day. To combat this I made myself a little chart to print off that says how many days it would take to complete a draft of a novel.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O1jVBLV81x794SESh4pDW3YUbwS4sSmlejqrmEY4dDo/edit?usp=sharing

I chose 90k as a goal because it is in between different genres of fantasy, including YA. According to a quick google search the average/recommended length for a fantasy novel (especially a debut one) is approx 100k, but I kept it a little lower to balance out with YA.

If you could keep up the pace of Nano you could have a 90k draft in less than 2 months! A more leisurely pace of 600 will still get you a full, complete draft in 5 months. That is completely doable!

• Nice! 1

Thank you for posting this!  It's helpful to have a breakdown to reference when I get overwhelmed by writing.  I think I may make a bigger version of this to put on a wall in my writing space.  

3 minutes ago, TricksterShi said:

Thank you for posting this!  It's helpful to have a breakdown to reference when I get overwhelmed by writing.  I think I may make a bigger version of this to put on a wall in my writing space.  

🙂 I'm glad its helpful! Its so easy to get overwhelmed by that big number. It also makes more sense too when you hear a professional writer say they only write a couple pages a day, that's only like 600 words, totally manageable!