Sign in to follow this  
Penguinball

Daydreaming, Stories, and You

*This falls somewhere between Inspiration and Chatterbox so I'm putting it here because it IS writing related.

Do you daydream a lot and tell yourself stories? I was talking to @Sheepy-Pie on Discord and she does this. I talked to a husband and a coworker, who are both distinctly NOT creative people, and they just...don't. They think about their problems or about what they have to do next, they don't imagine anything. We were equally blown away that the other does. I can't imagine my life without telling myself stories all the time. So my first question is - Do you tell yourself big stories via daydream?

Sometimes my stories become involved and interesting that I want to write them down and share them with others. I find though that once I write down the notes and outline for it, its like I download it out of my brain. Its no longer something I day dream about. If you write down your daydreams, do you continue to daydream about them? Have you ever worked one into a story?

• Like 2

Blimey! There are people who don't day dream? Now I'm blown away too. I definitely tell myself stories all the time. I'd be so bored if I didn't! ­čśä┬áDay-dreaming is┬áusually how I develop a story idea, or it can bring┬áunexpected┬áideas which┬ácan be┬ácombined with the current story, so yeah, many┬áend up written down in some form. But if it's unrelated to any current┬ástory, or not good enough to be developed into one, I don't write them down -┬ábut I do continue them sometimes. I can also fall into obsessive thinking about things that I don't want to think or worry about, so to shut that up I conciously day dream and make up a story to distract me. Storytelling is powerful. It's like a mind-vacation. Writing works like that┬áa lot of the time too. :)┬á┬á

• Like 2

Oh, wow.  I can't fathom never daydreaming.  It's partly how I keep myself sane, especially when I'm stressed.  I always daydreamed as a child.  Sometimes it was having an adventure that never ended and others it was inserting myself into the narrative of a book or movie and changing things up to my liking.  Basically internal fan fiction.  I still do that as an adult.  Sometimes I incorporate parts of a daydream into a story I'm writing, but not always.  I find that the usual tropes and subplots of my daydreams are more comfort food for me on a personal level and I don't feel the need to explore them on the page through the filter of a character.

And if I write my daydreams out in full, not for a story I'd publish per se, just for me, I do find that they lose their magic and I stop daydreaming about them.  

• Like 2

I daydream all the time, but especially when I'm going somewhere and listening to my music on the way. I've always found music to be great background noise for daydreaming seasons.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Penguinball said:

Do you tell yourself big stories via daydream´╗┐?

If you write down your daydreams, do you continue to daydream about them? Have you ever worked one into a story?

Until about ten years ago, my daydreams had pretty much got out of hand. It seemed that, while friends and colleagues were making giant strides in their careers, I was merely getting by. Yes, I had some of the trappings of achievement. Yes, I put up a reasonably convincing front about it, but all the while I hid a terrible secret. I was...

I was ...

I was a secret daydreamer. And not just that; I had ...

I had ...

I had ... say it ... I had imaginary friends. No. I had a whole imaginary life. I was Walter Mitty, I was every self-deluded loon, and my fantasies frequently took far more of my concentration than the day-to-day drudge of real life, which - though it had perks aplenty - was bland and unfulfilling in comparison. Even as I attended meetings and flew to customer sites, I was an intergalactic space captain, I was a warrior astride a giant winged beast, I was rocking the main stage in some far-flung metropolis before the adoring millions. I thought I was ill. How long, I wondered in desperation - how long can any sane adult maintain such deception and not take some deficit to their health, be it mental, physical or financial? Something had to give.

Then I discovered writing, everything fell into place, and here we are ­čÖé

Without my daydreams I would have absolutely nothing to write about, and it scares me when they fall quiet.

• Like 3

I guess I'm somewhere in between - I can easily daydream and let my mind wander when I'm feeling well, it's actually where many of my ideas come from, and when I start working on a story idea, my daydreaming revolves around that idea and I start working out scenes, characters and character interactions in my daydreams. I love public transport for daydreaming, at least when it's not too crowded and when I have a window seat. Staring outside without actually looking at anything helps letting my mind wander. Hiking does that even more, but I rarely hike on my own, and my friends often expect me to talk to them┬á­čśŤ Keeping my hands busy is another thing that works for me, crocheting or working in my garden are monotonous activities that almost work like meditation for me and help to kickstart daydreams.

Buuuut... when I'm not feeling well, my daydreams will stop, and my thoughts will start to loop around problems or situations from daily life. Stress is a creativity killer, and managing my stress level has been one of my greatest struggles during the past years. Well, at least I realize that something is wrong when I don't daydream for several days in a row, and I can try to do something about it.

Not daydreaming is actually a hint that something is wrong with me!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TricksterShi said:

Basically internal fan fiction.

This is my liiiiiife. That's why the stories and movies I like best have strong self-insert potential ­čśä No Shame. So tropey that I would be embarrassed to actually share the stories lines, but it is oh so satisfying.

15 hours ago, Pinchofmagic said:

Blimey! There are people who don't day dream? Now I'm blown away too.

That was my reaction too! I was like...then what do you do inside your head? Nothing? How- what?? That's not even possible right? How can you just think about your day ALL DAY?! I literally cannot fathom what it would be like not to daydream. My coworker did say she was jealous of my imagination. How do you just not have one?

15 hours ago, Tyrannohotep said:

I daydream all the time, but especially when I'm going somewhere and listening to my music on the way. I've always found music to be great background noise for daydreaming seasons.

Taking the bus is fantastic for this, or long car rides. Its probably good that I don't drive yet, I'd probably zone out into my own mind and crash ­čśŤ

2 hours ago, bdcharles said:

I had ... say it ... I had imaginary friends. No. I had a whole imaginary life. I was Walter Mitty, I was every self-deluded loon, and my fantasies frequently took far more of my concentration than the day-to-day drudge of real life´╗┐,

Maladaptive Daydreaming. I stumbled across the subReddit for it when people were talking about how much they love to daydream. It can be its own addiction for sure. I'm glad writing has helped you focus ­čÖé

Without my daydreams I would have absolutely nothing to write about, and it scares me when they fall quiet. ´╗┐´╗┐

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Not daydreaming is actually a hint that something is wrong with me!

I've realized that I get downright grumpy and listless if I haven't had good daydreams for a couple days. I need to constantly feed my imagination different kinds of media to have fodder for my daydreams. Its not even about watching the thing itself, its about watching things that will make good daydreams later. Which is why 90% of my entertainment media is fantasy based. The last 10% is made up of cooking shows and documentaries.

• Like 2

I daydream all the time! Mine are usually about my current obsession (which right now is The Shapeshifting Detective. I suggest checking it out if you like FMV or mystery games) or whatever story I'm writing. They don't really form a cohesive story though. They're little snippets of characterisation, or little stories I know I won't tell anyone else but I really like. They always end up in a loop. I'll get to a bit where I don't quite like how it plays out so I circle back to the beginning or to a previous point and it just keeps going and going. That's fine by me, though, since the ones that do have a plot that that ends up happening with are usually ones I think about when I'm trying to sleep. I normally forget those plots by the time I wake up anyway. So to answer the first question, not really. I don't tell big stories. I can't do it without "editing" them.

I guess I kind of answered the second question too. Sometimes I write down my daydreams because they make it into the larger story that inspired them. But that only really happens when I don't have a solid idea of the plot already. 

But yeah, like all of you, I can't imagine how people can't daydream in life. I get people having the willpower to not do it while something important is going on (which I don't have sometimes, rip me) but never? Sounds kind of boring.

• Like 2

Without my daydreams I would have absolutely nothing to write about, and it scares me when they fall quiet.

The thought of losing my daydreaming/imagination is horrifying, so I totally feel this. Writing/day-dreaming stories is the most magical thing I know. The ordinary real-life mundane stuff, well, that's mostly like an annoying commercial break I have to endure. :) 

46 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

I need to constantly feed my imagination different kinds of media to have fodder for my daydreams. Its not even about watching the thing itself, its about watching things that will make good daydreams later.

This! I definitely watch a lot of stuff just to get ideas for daydreaming, or to see fun characters (and steal some of their traits for my own characters), and I hope that the script/story makes me pumped to write. When a show/movie/book fail to give me anything at all, I get annoyed and feel I wasted precious writing time on useless crap, lol! 

• Like 2

I daydream a lot, especially when I'm on my way somewhere or stuck in a waiting room before an appointment.  I can't imagine what it would be like NOT to daydream.

Some of my daydreams are about my novels.  I play out scenes from them in my head like a movie.  I know what most of my characters look like, even if their faces aren't totally clear.  I can imagine their voices, the different accents and slang they use, their mannerisms when talking, even down to the way they walk.  Sometimes I'll experiment with a new scene, one I haven't written.  Only a few of these scenes make it into novels because most of them are unrelated to the plot.

I also imagine conversations with people I'd like to meet.  Not only celebrities but some of my online friends.  Also when I see someone in the street who intrigues me, I imagine having a conversation with them and getting to know them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xanxa said:

I also imagine conversations with people I'd like to meet

For me, rehearsing conversations needs its whole own forum post ­čśŤ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Penguinball said:

For me, rehearsing conversations needs its whole own forum post ­čśŤ

I sense a new topic emerging soon.

I come with ideas for roleplaying scenes or novel scenes, usually, when waiting in a bus station or in the bus. And yes, I am always thinking about a story or another I am writing/ I wrote/ I want to write. It was funny how the sequel to the one I published in October came to me in the tram, while going to my mother, and due to the shock I was ready to descend one station earlier than I should have ­čśŤ

This is such an interesting topic! I used to daydream a lot when I was a teenager - I could become anyone, have any kind of story going on in my head. Even with people around me, I could just keep a (mostly) poker face and have the best adventures. And now... I don't really know what changed, but now I struggle to put myself in someone else's shoes. I do daydream a lot about things I could be doing, but very little about people who could potentially be characters for fantasy books. It's very frustrating - don't know how I can get it back! (Now I rely on actual dreams for inspiration - seems to be the only time when I can be someone else.)

• Heartbroken 1