Manu

[book review] How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method

I got Randy Ingermanson's book How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method yesterday. I've only read a couple of pages before going to bed, but it looks good so far! I'll collect my thoughts about it in this thread, and complete my review once I have finished reading it.

I have been using the snowflake method before, since Ingermanson has a blog post about it that is very detailed and has all the information you need to use the method. I've seen a lot of people recommend his book anyway, so I decided to read it.

First thing that jumped to my eyes: It's not one of the typical, dry non-fiction book - it's set up as a story about a woman who wants to become a writer instead, and it follows her as she visits writing workshops and explores what works for her and what doesn't. So far, it has been a pleasant read that delivers the author's ideas in small and managable chunks, and as those ideas are delivered through a story, he also discusses them by having characters question them and discussing about them. It starts out with interesting thoughts about book marketing and finding your target audience.

So far, it looks really good and I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't at war with planning/plotting. Looking forward to reading more!

• Like 1

I haven't used the full book version but I have used the online explanation-only version and had good luck with it. For me it was helpful to flesh out the idea, when I had the general idea but needed to figure out what ACTUALLY happens. Its a great way to familiarize yourself with your story. Plus it reminds me of writing essays, which is a weirdly comforting thing? Its an easy to follow process that I'm familiar with, that's probably what I mean.

I loved this book! I've been using the Snowflake method for sometime before I read it but it kind of all made sense in a very simple way with a familiar story and characters. It's very practical and the method suits my style. I use to think I could just 'write' but I much prefer a system, first drafts I've written using the method are much better, they still need editing but the actual story flows much better because I've worked it out in advance. It's also very flexible so if your character decides to deviate from your plans it's easy to change.