Jedi Knight Muse

Feedback Wanted: Word Count Tracking Options

Which option do you think works best for the challenge?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you think works best for the challenge?

• Reset the monthly word counts
    • Continuous word counts

With the Wordsmyth Million Writing Challenge coming up we thought we should get a second opinion from you, the participants, on which method of tracking word count month to month works best. We have two options, resetting each month, or continuous word counts. Please make sure to thoroughly read the following before voting! Also feel free to reply to the post with your thoughts/any questions you may have!

1) Resetting Monthly Counts - You would still have a total challenge goal, like pledging 90k words, but we would focus more on words written per month, with your monthly total rolling back to zero while still tracking your continuous words in the background. A 90k goal puts your monthly amount to hit par at 15k words. If I wrote 16,427 words in March, at the beginning of April my total would be 0 (16,427). The logic behind this is to avoid feeling discouraged if you get behind, to better allow you to adjust your monthly goals to hit the overall target, and to make people jumping in halfway through feel more welcome. For example, if I have a bad March, and only write 10k, my April total could adjust to 20k, or I could split the deficit equally over all the months.

2) Continuous Word Counts - What it says on the box. Your word count reflects your progress on your total pledge regardless of the month. So if I wrote 16,427 in March, and 21, 995 in April, on May 1st my total is 38,442 words. This allows easier tracking of my pledge, so I know how much I've written more easily.

There are pros and cons to both so please let us know which you prefer!

Please make sure to vote in the poll!

I'm also tagging everyone who responded to the previous post about the challenge, but we invite and encourage everyone who didn't respond and is interested in the challenge to vote and let us know what their thoughts are! We'll give a few days or so to give everyone a chance to give their feedback before making any final decisions about this!

@Manu

@Penguinball

@Autumn

@TricksterShi

@kkmorgan

@Titania

@Emskie-Wings

@Pinchofmagic

@Elena

@Dreamcatcher

@Anthony Lockwood

@JayLee

@tllbrinkley

@electric

• Like 2

It really doesn't matter to me either way. I can meet my goal either way.

I think continuous works better. There are lean months and fat months, but the objective remains the same, and it is nice to see how it gets achieved.

I would like to do continuous more than resetting. every month. That way, you have one big goal and if you feel more motivated one evening and less another you don't have to worry about falling behind in the long term. (Sorry, it's early in the morning, not sure how English that was)

• Like 1

I am leaning towards resetting, because I have a tendency to fall short of my goals outside of NaNo 😛 

Right now it looks pretty evened out, I could try to simply put both in the spreadsheet.

I voted for resetting because it would give new members a chance to jump in, but for me personally it doesn't matter. I could go either way. :)

I like the idea of resetting and adjusting the monthly word goals, but Only if the total is gong to be shown alongside the monthly for each like it is in your example or in some similar way.

13 hours ago, Tangwystle said:

I like the idea of resetting and adjusting the monthly word goals, but Only if the total is gong to be shown alongside the monthly for each like it is in your example or in some similar way.

Yeah, we would definitely be doing that. Basically when people check in, we'll have a form that will be something like:

Current word count: 5,393 words

Total word count: 15,948 words

I think that's what you mean, anyway. XD

This I like, because ultimately the total counts. In one month I can not keep with the promise, but write double in the next one and still keep with the overall pledge.

I still haven't fully decided which way I think we should do it, but I'm leaning more and more towards resetting the monthly word counts. But I can also see the pros to just having an overall goal without resetting the word count each time. This is why we needed to make a poll. 😛 Though right now it seems like we're leaning toward resetting the word counts. Theoretically it could be possible to do both, depending on how the Excel sheet is set up.

So far it sounds like we'll be resetting the word counts, unless we can see if we can do both with the Excel sheet! Keep getting those votes in if you haven't yet. We'll give this another day or so. Hopefully I can get all of the information out to you guys a.s.a.p!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.