Jedi Knight Muse

Ask A Question about the Challenge

If there is something the FAQs do not currently cover, or isn't quite clear enough, and you'd like to ask about, please do so in this post and we'll be happy to answer your questions!

I have a question!

Do we have to work on the same project for the entire six months?

I mean, obviously, you can't check if I do but I'd like to stick to the rules 😉 But I know myself and I know that'd be difficult for me. I have a bad habit of switching between projects every couple of week (three weeks if I'm feeling inspired).

Just now, Emskie-Wings said:

I have a question!

Do we have to work on the same project for the entire six months?

I mean, obviously, you can't check if I do but I'd like to stick to the rules 😉 But I know myself and I know that'd be difficult for me. I have a bad habit of switching between projects every couple of week (three weeks if I'm feeling inspired).

Nope! You can work on whatever projects you want throughout the entire six months. So for me, I plan on continuing to write my NaNo 2018 project until like mid-March and then I’ll probably switch gears a bit and focus on outlining for a different story that I want to write for the April session of camp. As long as I’m writing something fictional or am outlining or whatever, I can count those words and I can write whatever I want. So if you want to respond to one of the monthly writing challenges while also writing your own project, go for it. I hope that makes sense, and I’ll add this into the FAQs to make it clearer. 

13 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Nope! You can work on whatever projects you want throughout the entire six months. So for me, I plan on continuing to write my NaNo 2018 project until like mid-March and then I’ll probably switch gears a bit and focus on outlining for a different story that I want to write for the April session of camp. As long as I’m writing something fictional or am outlining or whatever, I can count those words and I can write whatever I want. So if you want to respond to one of the monthly writing challenges while also writing your own project, go for it. I hope that makes sense, and I’ll add this into the FAQs to make it clearer. 

Very clear! Thanks, because I also already had a story planned for the camp sessions of April and July but I also wanted to start something new for this challenge. I'm glad I can just go back and forth 😃

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Emskie-Wings said:

Very clear! Thanks, because I also already had a story planned for the camp sessions of April and July but I also wanted to start something new for this challenge. I'm glad I can just go back and forth 😃

You're welcome! Yeah, right now I'm planning on continuing with my main project (Court of Shadows) and then for the April session of camp I want to write a standalone prequel novel/novella thing. I don't usually do well with switching between multiple projects and working on them at once, but I miiiiight try it and keep working on CoS while mainly focusing on the prequel, and then I'd just count the words for both projects for camp and for the writing challenge.

I might have missed it somewhere, but where exactly do we do the pledging of how many words we do?

1 hour ago, Romancegirl said:

I might have missed it somewhere, but where exactly do we do the pledging of how many words we do?

There will be a thread for it. I believe we had planned to set it up one week before the 1st day of the month, and it will be possible to sign up within the first week of the month, so 2 weeks in total to pledge.

Yep, what @Manu said! In the following months we'll have new posts for pledges as well, so it won't all be done in one single post specifically for pledges. i.e. there will be one for March, and then a new one for April, etc.

• Nice! 1

@Mynoris mentioned in the check-in thread that she tried to use the + in the Excel sheet and it doesn't work. Rather than have that topic go off topic, I figured I'd move it here. @Manu I haven't been able to get the + to work either.

24 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

@Mynoris mentioned in the check-in thread that she tried to use the + in the Excel sheet and it doesn't work. Rather than have that topic go off topic, I figured I'd move it here. @Manu I haven't been able to get the + to work either.

Ack!  Sorry about that!

Not a problem at all, @Mynoris - bug reports were even supposed to go to the check-in thread, as I'm quite busy and not actively following any of the other threads. So for bug reports, either post them in the check-in thread or make sure to tag me if you post them elsewhere, otherwise there's a good chance I'll miss it.

I have no idea why it doesn't work, it should be working - the spreadsheet link only gives you viewing rights, but expanding grouped cells should absolutely be covered with that. @Jedi Knight Muse even has ediitng rights and it doesn't seem to work, which makes me think that it must be a bug on google's side.

As a workaround, I simply expanded all of them myself now and left them that way - more scrolling (which is why I did the grouping and minimizing in the first place, meh), but the only solution I can think of right now.

Let me know if you can at least see everything now, please 🙂

I doubt I'll write 5k of new words this March, however, I've had a productive time brainstorming, outlining and scene listing for my April WIP. Can I count this? If so, how can I count this? It's kinda difficult to get a wordcount from a planning book that's covered in scribbles and mindmaps and is falling apart in my hands. (Woops). Some of it is also in an Excel spreadsheet.

7 hours ago, roadmagician said:

I doubt I'll write 5k of new words this March, however, I've had a productive time brainstorming, outlining and scene listing for my April WIP. Can I count this? If so, how can I count this? It's kinda difficult to get a wordcount from a planning book that's covered in scribbles and mindmaps and is falling apart in my hands. (Woops). Some of it is also in an Excel spreadsheet.

Yup, you can count it. Since you don't have a way to count the actual words (without typing it up, but then the scribbles and mind maps would be a problem), I would just say count it by the amount of hours you spent doing it, the way you would if you were editing. So if you spend an hour working on brainstorming and all that, that's 1,000 words.

8 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Yup, you can count it. Since you don't have a way to count the actual words (without typing it up, but then the scribbles and mind maps would be a problem), I would just say count it by the amount of hours you spent doing it, the way you would if you were editing. So if you spend an hour working on brainstorming and all that, that's 1,000 words.

Thanks so much! In that case, I'm well past my target! 🙂

9 minutes ago, Tigtogiba34 said:

Not meaning to sound pushy just wondering when the June word stats will be up? know y'all are busy and such just curioussss- unless they already are and I missed them

There's something wrong with the Excel sheet that neither Penguin or I know how to fix (probably some kind of a broken formula), and it's not giving all of the stats that it did in the first two months for whatever reason. I actually haven't posted the stats from the last few months because of it not working. I'm hoping to wait until @Manu has a chance to take a look and fix it before posting the stats that are missing from the past few months.

19 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

There's something wrong with the Excel sheet that neither Penguin or I know how to fix (probably some kind of a broken formula), and it's not giving all of the stats that it did in the first two months for whatever reason. I actually haven't posted the stats from the last few months because of it not working. I'm hoping to wait until @Manu has a chance to take a look and fix it before posting the stats that are missing from the past few months.

k got it! yeah I looked at it and I was so confused so it was not just me then eh?

I have a pretty busy schedule right now, it'll take another week or two before there's a chance of me finding the time to check it...