Pinchofmagic

Your project

c30449672e3d7a9802188b41d544910c.jpg.73a455d30d61ed06098b67a74d519320.jpg

This is the place to talk a bit about your work in progress, because it's always fun to know what genres and things people enjoy writing, and it will be easier to give advice. If you finish one project, just make a new post about your current nightmare. You can also link if you have a summary somewhere else. 

My current project is The Citymaster, an Urban Fantasy about a woman working at the Relocation Agency, a government office in charge of collecting disruptive magical nature things around the city and get them back to the wild. When the Agency is closed down she's looking for ways to get a new job, live in a place that's getting overrun with creatures and also look for the former Citymaster. He was a maintenance magician who was in charge of the city, but let the ball drop so to speak. When she and a co-worker gets new jobs at a grill in the city they come very close to the answer why the city got so corrupted with unregulated magic, and why the new Citymaster just doesn't care. It all has to do with how humans got magic in the first place, and the fool that let it happen is back to teach the humans a lesson. 

It's a very new story, looking to be a novel. I'm gonna work on it for the 2019 Challenge, so I'm in pre-planning and trying to suss out a proper and hopefully funny plot. 

• Like 1

I have so many WIPs cause last July was start a WIP month for my head. I like adding elements of humour in my writing so they will all have something like that. I'd share some of my novel which definitely will have humour but it'll take me a while to find a good bit.

I can however share a rough snippet of something I worked on a while ago... a lot of comedy likes to pop up in flirting when I write it... oops!

A soft knock at the door drew my attention, and for a moment I thought about ignoring it. Chucking the book on the chair arm, I returned to the door, Vittoré smiled as I opened it.

What are you doing—

Vittoré glanced down at the grapes in my palm. Planning to share, Otavio?”

I met his eyes, lingering longer than I should have. “Not my food.”

Perhaps it’s not food I’m after. Can I come in?” I stepped aside and Vittoré pinched a grape as he entered. “Care for a little fun?”

D-Depends what you mean by fun,” I managed.

A little bomb making, maybe some metallurgy, or did you only want sex?”

I regretted having food in my mouth at that exact time; out came a ridiculous splutter and half a chewed grape. Thankfully it hit the wall.What?”

What was it you said? ‘And if I don’t?’ Well, Otavio.” Vittoré smiled and stepped close. “This is what happens.”

I meant the bombs…” I squeaked.

Oh.” He pursed his lips.

And then a tiny bit later on;

It’s too risky. No bombs.”

Not even little ones?”

“No, Vittoré. No bombs. Not even little ones.”

“Huh.” He clacked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. “So just sex then?”

I glanced down at the folder in his hand. You’ve got the plans there haven’t you?”

“Well of course. Do you really think I’d turn up to your room without an idea what I want to do to you?”

I’m still talking about the bombs.”

Heat burned at my cheeks and Vittoré leant over to my ear. “I wasn’t.”

I know I—

He pulled away and growled, “Otavio. Stop confusing me. Do you want this or—

You came in here talking about bombs! I’m more concerned that you are going to strap a bomb to me and

That can be arranged, I mean, if you are into that kind of thing.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I was trying to work on my GRIM and SERIOUS spaceship thriller WIP and then I tripped and fell into this fantasy-parody.

I've been rewriting this one fantasy story with this bumbling monk protagonist for three years now, in different iterations... a mystery, an adventure, a different location.... nothing quite seemed to fit. But now that I'm taking the parody route the ideas are flying at me like I'm in a Hitchcock film. Old characters from previous iterations are getting reworked, I can see where the antagonist's backstory fits, and the main character finally makes sense. One beautiful game of Jenga.

It's a universe where the main characters are going up against the story itself and the notion of the Chosen One. In a world where things are decided by fairy godmothers (for the good of the narrative), we'll see how that works out.

• Like 2

My comedic fantasy WIP's working title is Weird Prophecies (sounds better in my language), and it plays with common fantasy tropes. There's a prophecy, and a chosen one - unfortunately, she dies, and another girl who happens to be around must take her place so people don't lose hope. Chaos ensues. Her mentor does NOT die, by the way - but he's the one who makes her do things she doesn't really want to do, and defying him and following her own intuition istead is part of her arc. One of their antagonists is the local baron, who is collecting the annual taxes even though people in the region have had poor harvests due to bad weather, and they can't pay. Only... the baron is the youngest of eight siblings who never expected to become baron and has no clue what he is doing. When he is supposed to marry, he takes initiative and writes a letter to his would-be-bride's father to postpone the wedding - buuuut it backfires, and gets him even deeper in trouble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roadmagician said:

Well, I was trying to work on my GRIM and SERIOUS spaceship thriller WIP and then I tripped and fell into this fantasy-parody.

I've been rewriting this one fantasy story with this bumbling monk protagonist for three years now, in different iterations... a mystery, an adventure, a different location.... nothing quite seemed to fit. But now that I'm taking the parody route the ideas are flying at me like I'm in a Hitchcock film. Old characters from previous iterations are getting reworked, I can see where the antagonist's backstory fits, and the main character finally makes sense. One beautiful game of Jenga.

It's a universe where the main characters are going up against the story itself and the notion of the Chosen One. In a world where things are decided by fairy godmothers (for the good of the narrative), we'll see how that works out.

That sounds like so much fun! It's strange how a change of sub-genre can unlock so many things for a story, and it's incredibly inspiring to hear that actually. A very good thing to try when a story doesn't seem to work right. 

I love the meta-concept of blending storytelling into the story itself, and playing with tropes in that way, that really made me smile. We all look forward to hear a lot more about your bumbling monk, it sounds like such a hilarious story. Welcome to the club, and please, just jump into any topic that's been made, or make one of your own. The same goes for if you need to brainstorm, or have recommendations for funny stuff we should check out, or if you just wanna post a funny picture. Glad to have you with us! :) 

2 hours ago, Manu said:

My comedic fantasy WIP's working title is Weird Prophecies (sounds better in my language), and it plays with common fantasy tropes. There's a prophecy, and a chosen one - unfortunately, she dies, and another girl who happens to be around must take her place so people don't lose hope. Chaos ensues. Her mentor does NOT die, by the way - but he's the one who makes her do things she doesn't really want to do, and defying him and following her own intuition istead is part of her arc. One of their antagonists is the local baron, who is collecting the annual taxes even though people in the region have had poor harvests due to bad weather, and they can't pay. Only... the baron is the youngest of eight siblings who never expected to become baron and has no clue what he is doing. When he is supposed to marry, he takes initiative and writes a letter to his would-be-bride's father to postpone the wedding - buuuut it backfires, and gets him even deeper in trouble.

Oh, you got an faux-chosen one? That is brilliant! And I love the sound of the antagonist baron who messes up stuff, including the postponing of his wedding, that I definitely wanna read about. 😄