Manu

Share your latest accomplishments!

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can post their latest successes and accomplishments - just a nice little chatter topic to pat outselves and others on the shoulder.

What have you accomplished that you're proud of and that you'd like to share with the world?

I just submitted a little short story to an anthology - like, nine minutes before the deadline, lol 😄 

• Like 3

I'll have a book launching on Saturday, at the National Museum of Literature! It's the short stories collection issued as a prize for winning the first place in the literary contest last autumn.

BKuvWO.jpg

I don't like the cover because it doesn't represent my character. But the choice of the cover belongs to the publisher. It's a marketing choice, they say, unrelated to the characters per se, but more with the spirit of the book...

The fourth cover comment is done by a famous hispanist, translator from Spanish and Portuguese and writer. She translated Paulo Coelho in Romanian, i.a.

Also, since February till May, one Sunday each month I am at a book fair. 🙂 Getting slowly known.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Agree 1

I finally finished writing a short little chapter tonight, and I'm also, right this minute (at almost 2:30 AM, no less), working on writing a chapter that I had been struggling with trying to write over the last few days (so I moved on to the short little chapter instead) and I'm really loving it right now.

giphy.gif

Of course, this chapter is only one of like...20-26ish (give or take, probably leaning more towards 26) MORE chapters that I still have to write, but at least I'm writing them. XD And just as a small snippet:

"How long have you known Jasira?" Alana asked quietly as she watched him move the wet stone along the blade.

"Since I was young. She's the only fairy I've ever been able to fully trust," Harrow replied as he paused his work.

Alana licked her bottom lip. "Do you think I was stupid for trusting her to save my brother?"

"No," Harrow replied with a shake of his head. "If anything, you were very brave. Most fairies are manipulative and cruel. Human lives do not matter to them, especially not these days. A human life is just a plaything that they can cast aside with the snap of a finger. Jasira is different. She's kind and does her best to understand humans."

I'm loving the character development between these two, especially since I hadn't shown much of a relationship between them up until now. It's very brother-sister-y which is exactly what I wanted.

• Like 2

Congrats @Elena, and I really like that snippet of the scene you posted, @Jedi Knight Muse!

I submitted another short story yesterday - I'm getting better, it was three and a half hours before the deadline this time 😛 With that, I have officially reached my goal of submitting more short stories in 2019 than I did in 2018 - which wasn't that hard, because I only submitted one in 2018 😉 I'll see how far I can get with short story submissions and try to do more - one for each month of the year would be cool.

• Like 2

Well, today I bit the bullet and rewrote my outline.  Turns out I wrote the initial draft from the wrong POV, so now I have to do a complete rewrite.  I changed up the outline to suit the new POV and then wrote 3600 words the big resolution scene at the end.  It felt awesome to finally write that scene properly!  I'm excited to finish it out and then go back and write some of the other juicy scenes I have lined up.

Below is my favorite part:

I sewed the pieces of our hearts into the corners of the sky, in the darkest spaces between the dancing stars.  The red only made the dark blacker and the stars shined all the brighter as they hid the seams and rough edges.

By the time I was finished our hearts were scattered across the universe in pieces so small only I could put them back together.

Woman-not-Woman took my empty hand in hers and squeezed hard.

“Anyone who wants our hearts can search for a thousand years and they’ll never find them all!” I crowed.

Woman-not-Woman spun us around and laughed, shifting from mountain to panther to buffalo and then to an electric spring wind barreling across the plains.  I clung tight and laughed, too, and the stars swirled over us like rain.

“They will spread and grow, little bird.  Seeds and stories and pieces of a whole.  No matter what happens now, neither of you will ever truly perish.”

• Like 1

Yesterday I took a big step on the technical side of self publishing.  I figured out how to create a paperback version of Lightning Girls on Amazon and got the extended cover created and fitted to their margin specifications (which was 90% of the battle!).  Now it's under review and I just have to wait for approval and for it to go live.  Once it's live I'll be able to order my author copy and finally hold a physical book that I wrote in my hands!

*runs around in circles*

• Like 2

Finished a 4.1k short this morning. It's very sword & sorcery in tone, so I plan to send it to publications specializing in that fare once I get it revised.

• Like 1