Mynoris

Chaptered Works

I might have been missing something, or doing something wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to link chaptered works together, such as having a 'next chapter' button at the bottom of the page.  I'm not sure if this is a possible perk that can be bought for the site, or if it doesn't exist at all, or if it does exist, but the way to do it is obscure.

Anyhow, if it doesn't exist, I'm almost wondering if we can make a 'table of contents' page in the library with links to all the parts of a single story so their easier for perspective readers to find.  I was thinking of doing that, but I wasn't sure if I should just go ahead or not, so I'm looking for feedback/information.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, Mynoris said:

I might have been missing something, or doing something wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to link chaptered works together, such as having a 'next chapter' button at the bottom of the page.  I'm not sure if this is a possible perk that can be bought for the site, or if it doesn't exist at all, or if it does exist, but the way to do it is obscure.

Anyhow, if it doesn't exist, I'm almost wondering if we can make a 'table of contents' page in the library with links to all the parts of a single story so their easier for perspective readers to find.  I was thinking of doing that, but I wasn't sure if I should just go ahead or not, so I'm looking for feedback/information.

Thanks.

Haha, what's funny is that I was talking to @kherezae about this earlier this week because I also asked about the fact that you can't "link" chapters together, and the only way to do that right now, really, is to put the link to the next chapter in the box where it asks for an author's note (which is what I did with the two chapters of CoS that I posted), but not everyone knows/thinks to do that.

Kher told me that there was something she had planned on doing, where we'd basically make a sub-category in the library for chaptered works, but she hadn't done it 'cause she got busy with real life stuff. So basically it's something that can be done, it's just a matter of me being able to figure out how to set it up. XD I will work on doing this as soon as possible, though, because this is something that I would like to be able to do as well. Worse comes to worse, I end up having to put a spot in the form for putting links to linked chapters into, but I have a feeling that that might end up not being the right way to do it. I'm not fully familiar with this software (there's definitely things I don't know how to do) but I can definitely work on figuring out how to set up the sub-category based on what Kher told me. I'll let you know when I've done it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Haha, what's funny is that I was talking to @kherezae about this earlier this week because I also asked about the fact that you can't "link" chapters together, and the only way to do that right now, really, is to put the link to the next chapter in the box where it asks for an author's note (which is what I did with the two chapters of CoS that I posted), but not everyone knows/thinks to do that.

Kher told me that there was something she had planned on doing, where we'd basically make a sub-category in the library for chaptered works, but she hadn't done it 'cause she got busy with real life stuff. So basically it's something that can be done, it's just a matter of me being able to figure out how to set it up. XD I will work on doing this as soon as possible, though, because this is something that I would like to be able to do as well. Worse comes to worse, I end up having to put a spot in the form for putting links to linked chapters into, but I have a feeling that that might end up not being the right way to do it. I'm not fully familiar with this software (there's definitely things I don't know how to do) but I can definitely work on figuring out how to set up the sub-category based on what Kher told me. I'll let you know when I've done it. 🙂

Great minds think alike! 😄

It's actually one of the things that's stopped me from putting up more chapters in my story.  There just wasn't an intuitive way to string them together.  But I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who had an issue here or that I was blindly missing something that I should have seen.  So thanks for the response!

6 minutes ago, Mynoris said:

Great minds think alike! 😄

It's actually one of the things that's stopped me from putting up more chapters in my story.  There just wasn't an intuitive way to string them together.  But I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who had an issue here or that I was blindly missing something that I should have seen.  So thanks for the response!

Yeaaah...that's the one downside to this software, or at least the mod that we're using for the library. It's not actually built to be used as a library specifically, it's just the way that we CAN use it, but the person who coded it didn't really give a way to link the articles together very easily.

I went back and read my conversation with Kher and basically what I'd do to be able to do this is create a category for "serials," and then have sub-categories for each individual person that has a work with multiple chapters...so I'd make one for myself to use for my current project, and another one for you...I'm not exactly sure how to do this but I can at least try to do it on my own and then if I can't figure it out then hopefully Kher can help get it set up soon. Otherwise I might have to add something into the form for putting a URL into for the previous chapter, but the problem would be is if you were putting, like, 10 chapters up, it wouldn't work that well. (I'm probably only putting five chapters total up for mine, but someone else might choose to put more up in the library), so...hm. Hopefully Kher can help set it up soon.

There's no big rush, now that I have an answer, I can wait pretty well, and hopefully everyone else can too.  I mean, I wouldn't suggest indefinitely putting it on the back burner, but don't stress about it either.

Yeah, sorry, I totally forgot about this, partially because I tried to do it myself and got confused. I'll ask @kherezae if she can take a look at it and get it set up so that I don't screw anything up with it.

• Thanks 1

Hey @Mynoris what would you want your category to be called? A Time Before? I will make it that for now but let me know if you want the title changed, and we'll give this a shot. I think your category should be set up so you can post in it but normal members can't (only members with the subgroup Serial Authors, of which you are the only one right now), but let me know if you find differently!

• Thanks 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.