Penguinball

April Writing Prompt Brainstorming

April Writing Challenge

Prompt: Myths and Legends

Myths and legends are the foundations for many stories, influencing cultures from ancient times to the shows on tv today. For this prompt tell us about a myth or legend of your world. It could be a creation myth, about a legendary hero, how a mountain got its name, or anything you like. It could take the form of an oral story, a journal or encyclopedia entry, or a narrated tale. However you want to frame it is up to you.

Reminder that the April challenge is ongoing! Do you have any ideas you want to bounce around? Any questions about the challenge? Are you stumped and wants some ideas tossed at you? Post here!

The idea is that we want to drum up interest for the challenges and remind ourselves (myself included) that they exist.

I think I'm going to write about the creation of the setting of my WIP Beneath the Steam Sea. There's a lot of handwaving regarding the science, but basically the Forge God has his...forge. And its beneath the ocean in a big bubble, because he's a grumpy old man who wanted to keep all the mortal kids off his lawn. The heat from his forge, and the venting of his machines generates a lot of steam and updrafts. One god got tired of the steam and wind messing up local weather patterns, and corralled the steam into an ocean (They called it the Steam Sea, shock), Anyway, there are elevated islands above ocean level, and mortals use sailing ships powered by magic machines to glide/sail between them.

That's the idea, but I don't know how to TELL it. Should it be told from one of the god's perspectives? Or told more like a myth to people sitting around an inn? I'm not sure how 'distant' to go. What sounds more interesting to you?

Well, I wrote something, but after I wrote it, I realized it qualified more as "ancient history" than as myth or legend necessarily.  I'm not sure it quite qualifies for the challenge now, though I'm definitely keeping it for the novel.

11 hours ago, Tangwystle said:

Well, I wrote something, but after I wrote it, I realized it qualified more as "ancient history" than as myth or legend necessarily.  I'm not sure it quite qualifies for the challenge now, though I'm definitely keeping it for the novel.

History could count, I think. We are pretty flexible on interpretation, we've never disqualified someone. Really its all about getting people to write and share 🙂

• Agree 1

On 4/10/2019 at 11:28 PM, Penguinball said:

That's the idea, but I don't know how to TELL it. Should it be told from one of the god's perspectives? Or told more like a myth to people sitting around an inn? I'm not sure how 'distant' to go. What sounds more interesting to you?

Yeah, this is a tough one. I had some problems with my challenge this month, just because of this. From those two choices I'd probably go with the god telling it, but hey, that's just me. If you wanna add to the choices you have (just to make it harder to decide :P) there could be someone who came across the Steam Sea, like an explorer. The Forge God wants to keep mortals away, but we're curious by nature. Maybe you could have someone who are not believed when they came back and told the story about the Steam Sea, or get obsessed with it like some explorers did. Or the obsession spilled over to their descendants who wants to find it. There's also the option of writing if from the perspective of a creature who lives in the Sea, or someone who flies over it. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

I seriously doubt I'm going to be writing anything for the challenge, but we'll see. I don't really have any ideas, though. I could maybe try to write about one of the first dragon guardians of the four fairy courts or something, but I dunno. I have no ideas beyond that. I think I'm probably better off trying to keep focusing on my novel draft at the moment, honestly, since I'm so close.

If I really wanted to, I could always try to write the idea I had last year or something, about a prince who was touched by one of the golems in my world (golems are mobile, stone beings. Pretty much 100% of them are former humans who were somehow touched with a golem thorn and turned into golems. They lose all memory of ever being a human and their body literally becomes stone) but was somehow stopped from becoming a full golem before it was too late, so he has like...a stone arm or leg or something. I admit it's loosely inspired by one of my absolute favorite book characters. in that book, he's one of six brothers who are turned into swans. When they finally transform back into humans, one brother has a wing instead of an arm. I think at some point I do want to write the story about the prince, I'm just not sure if I want it to be now XD.