Jedi Knight Muse

IMPORANT: Worldsmyths 2019 Feedback Survey

Our three year anniversary is approaching, and we'd like to gather feedback from the community regarding the site, so we can do our best to continue to grow and improve it. Any feedback you can give is greatly appreciated. After all, this site wouldn't exist without you! If there is something that you would rather say privately and not open in a public post, please send a private message on the forum to @Jedi Knight Muse with your feedback.

You can answer whatever parts of these questions apply to you (i.e. if you do not use Discord at all or not much, you can choose to not answer all of them), but we ask that you answer each question as best as you can.

To answer the questions, please copy and paste the following form into a reply to this form.

The Community

How often do you use the forum? Is there anything we can do to encourage you to visit more often? Is there anything we can do that might compel you into using the forum more often that we are not already doing?

Do you use the forum, the Discord server, or both? If you currently use one but not the other, is there a specific reason?

Are there any specific rules or guidelines that you feel are unclear and need to be expanded on? If so, which ones?

Do you feel like the staff members are always around to answer questions and help if you have any issues?

What overall feedback do you have for Worldsmyths?

The Forum

How do you like the new forum software? Is there anything that confuses you? Are there any sections of the forum that you would like to see be more active?

Are there any discussion sections that you feel could be added to the forum?

Have you joined or created any clubs?

Are there any clubs that you would like to see and haven't yet been made?

Are there any parts of the forum that you don't visit, or that don't interest you? What part is your favorite?

The Library

Do you use the Library for submitting or reviewing? If not, what is keeping you from visiting? Is there anything about the library that is currently keeping you from using it (whether it's submitting or reviewing someone else's submission)?

Have you had any trouble submitting to the library that has kept you from using it?

Is there anything that has kept you from reviewing any of the submitted works currently in the library?

Do you think there should be some kind of a guideline for the 1-5 star rating system of submissions? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Discord (Optional)

Do you currently use Discord to interact with your fellow members?

How easy do you find it to join the conversations? Is there anything we can do to improve engagement?

Are there any rules for the Discord that you feel are unclear and need to be elaborated on?

Writing Challenges

Some history - When the forum first opened, we had the challenges as bi-weekly, but received feedback that that wasn't enough time. They've been monthly ever since.
Also, in question two it asks about a "system" suggestion - by "system," we mean the way the challenges are done (i.e. with them being member created VS staff created like they currently are).

Are the monthly challenges beneficial to you?

Is there another system that you think would work better for the writing challenges?

Activity with the challenges has been up and down, and lately we've only been getting one or two entries each challenge. Do you think we should get rid of the challenges?

Do you have any ideas for any new site-wide challenges we could do instead of the monthly challenges (and the word count challenge)?

The Community

How often do you use the forum? Is there anything we can do to encourage you to visit more often? Is there anything we can do that might compel you into using the forum more often that we are not already doing?

I visit about once a week or less, and no, unfortunately it's nothing you can do. It's my own lack of time.

Do you use the forum, the Discord server, or both? If you currently use one but not the other, is there a specific reason?

I use less the Discord because it asks for more real time and I haven't.

Are there any specific rules or guidelines that you feel are unclear and need to be expanded on? If so, which ones?

No.

Do you feel like the staff members are always around to answer questions and help if you have any issues?

Yes, the staff members are reasonably around. Come on, how to ask someone to be ALWAYS around? People do have lives too!

An interesting site I like. 

The Forum

How do you like the new forum software? Is there anything that confuses you? Are there any sections of the forum that you would like to see be more active?

I like the new one more.

No, it's fine.

I joined the Worldsmith challenge. I don't remember if others too.

No.

Are there any parts of the forum that you don't visit, or that don't interest you? What part is your favorite?

My favourite is Foundation, then Inspiration and NaNoWriMo. I don't visit the Feedback/ Betta reading because I am not one of them, and seldom the others.

The Library

Do you use the Library for submitting or reviewing? If not, what is keeping you from visiting? Is there anything about the library that is currently keeping you from using it (whether it's submitting or reviewing someone else's submission)?

Not much. What's keeping me is that I don't write in English.

Have you had any trouble submitting to the library that has kept you from using it?

No, I submitted a few times.

Is there anything that has kept you from reviewing any of the submitted works currently in the library?

Not good at reviews and not having time.

Do you think there should be some kind of a guideline for the 1-5 star rating system of submissions? If so, do you have any suggestions?

I don't think so.

Discord (Optional)

Seldom.

How easy do you find it to join the conversations? Is there anything we can do to improve engagement?

It is all right.

Are there any rules for the Discord that you feel are unclear and need to be elaborated on?

No.

Writing Challenges

Some history - When the forum first opened, we had the challenges as bi-weekly, but received feedback that that wasn't enough time. They've been monthly ever since.
Also, in question two it asks about a "system" suggestion - by "system," we mean the way the challenges are done (i.e. with them being member created VS staff created like they currently are).

Not much, because I don't have time to write in English specially for them, when normally I write less and less in English and more in my mother tongue.

Is there another system that you think would work better for the writing challenges?

Not sure.

Activity with the challenges has been up and down, and lately we've only been getting one or two entries each challenge. Do you think we should get rid of the challenges?

No, maybe it is useful for some people.

Do you have any ideas for any new site-wide challenges we could do instead of the monthly challenges (and the word count challenge)?

The word count challenges are OK, because the language the stories are written in doesn't matter.

The Community

I pop in almost every day, but I don’t always have time to check out everything, or time to search out what’s new. Eventually I get to it, though.

Both.

No.

Good and fast service from staff members, in my experience.

Nice and cozy looking website (actually, it looks awesome), with writing-focused members and caring staff.

The Forum

Wasn’t familiar with the old WS. I think the sections I visit (writing-related) are pretty active.

No. The writing ones are broad enough to contain a variety of subjects.

Yes.

Not at the moment.

I hardly ever visit the Chatterbox or the NaNo-one. My favourite is the writing-related.

The Library

I have submitted for the short story challenges and I do review on occasion. I find the library easy to use.

No.

Very long pieces can be daunting to take on, mostly when it’s taken from with a longer story I have no previous knowledge of. But if you mean technical issues, then, no, nothing has kept me from reviewing.

No suggestions.

Discord (Optional)

Yes.

Very easy. Not every discussion is of interest, but I like that the second general channel opened for starting a discussion on another topic.

No. The members also seem very aware of what can be discussed and what can’t, so they’ll mod too to remind others of the rules.

Writing Challenges

It pushes me out of my comfort zone, because I don’t write short stories normally. But no, they’re not really beneficial to my prime writing, which are novels.

With the above definition of system, I have no experience with member created challenges, so I don’t know what works best.

I don’t mind either way.

No. The only suggestion I have is maybe to change the of the prompt-based monthly challenges into free-writes (or have a prompt as an option for those who need/want it) to see if people are more willing to submit for that. It might give them an opportunity to submit things they are working on, instead of writing an extra short story specifically for the challenge prompt, since time is often an issue for writers.

6 hours ago, Pinchofmagic said:

caring staff.

❤️  this makes me happy to read.

Very long pieces can be daunting to take on, mostly when it’s taken from with a longer story I have no previous knowledge of. But if you mean technical issues, then, no, nothing has kept me from reviewing.

This is true, and totally fair. I do feel like most of the submissions aren't really already part of larger stories, though, and even those that are, the previous chapters are already up on the site for you to read anyway, though I can see how it would be daunting if there's, like, six chapters up. And no, we weren't asking about technical issues in this case. XD

It pushes me out of my comfort zone, because I don’t write short stories normally. But no, they’re not really beneficial to my prime writing, which are novels.

Same. I mean, back in my fan fiction days I would write short stories on purpose, but otherwise I largely have almost always attempted to write novels. That being said, though, my current novel draft and my previous writing project are both projects that initially started out as writing challenge responses and then I ended up expanding them into novels. XD So they definitely have their benefits.

No. The members also seem very aware of what can be discussed and what can’t, so they’ll mod too to remind others of the rules.

Trying to keep the conversation on track is one thing - and appreciated! - But self policing the rules can go sideways fast. If someone is blatantly abusing the rules, a mod needs to be informed a.s.a.p, we don't want users trying to enforce the rules.

No. The only suggestion I have is maybe to change the of the prompt-based monthly challenges into free-writes (or have a prompt as an option for those who need/want it) to see if people are more willing to submit for that. It might give them an opportunity to submit things they are working on, instead of writing an extra short story specifically for the challenge prompt, since time is often an issue for writers.

We've actually done challenges in the past where we've given free-write prompts and I think we've also done what you suggested at least once, where we provide a prompt but also allow a free write. Also, we've always allowed members to submit something they've already written from a current project, as long as it 1. fits the fantasy genre 2. fits the prompt we've given. So for example, with the April challenge if you already have a chapter that essentially tells a legend, you would be able to use it as a submission to the challenge (as long as it didn't go over 5,000 words). The most someone would likely have to do in this case is to slightly modify it so that it would work better as a short story, and then obviously any other editing, but it at least wouldn't require as much time as writing a brand new story specifically for the challenge does.

Honestly, it really doesn't seem to matter if it's a free write or a specific prompt or whatever. We're just not getting a lot of submissions for the challenges, and getting people to vote once we put the poll up for doing so is like pulling teeth....so that's really why I'm thinking that we need to either change up the way the challenges are done altogether (although I really don't know how to change them) or maybe get rid of them and just focus on writing regular prompts without any kind of a deadline.

The only other way I've seen writing challenges done is with member run challenges, on another forum I've lurked on...I believe the one and only challenge I participated in had judges and they gave points for different things (plot, characterization, etc). But, honestly, I'm really not sure that I see many people being willing to create their own challenges like that and be judges and all that, so I don't know if it would even be worth it to try it that way.

Please keep the feedback coming! We're hoping to form a bit of a discussion from this!

• Like 1

The Community

Probably a few times a week. (Please don't lol I'm trying to cut down on my internet use!) Interesting discussion has always been something that draws me to forums. So far I can tell there's a few regular people who tend to post more often.

I use the forum because I prefer the format. I am on a Discord, but 'real-time' discussion can be hard if you're out of sync with the Northern hemisphere (America), you tend to miss big swathes of conversation and are basically yelling into the void while everyone else is asleep. So the forum format is nice because it allows for this slower pace as well as larger chunks of conversation. I may visit the Discord in future.

No, I think they're pretty clear.

Yes, although I haven't had to ask the staff for help so far, I get the impression they are invested in this website and would try their best to help.

A very solid start to this community.

The Forum

No issues with the software. I like the option to quote sections with a click. The option to 'react' to posts by liking them is also neat, because I guess people don't always have a full response other than "that was cool." (On the other hand, it could be that the presence of a 'like' button may reduce discussion on social media - I'd love to see the data on this!) I would like to see more discussion from people who aren't "regulars".

You could maybe look to the Nano forums for an example as to how they've arranged their sections.

I've joined the comedy club since I received an invite and it's relevant to my interests. I haven't created a club because I don't want to mod or run anything else in my life right now.

Not personally, but if there's a comedy subgenre club maybe people might like to see other subgenres? (Like high fantasy, or dark fantasy, other subgenres...)

I tend to use the "recent activity" feature since it's quicker than navigating down to forums in the list. There are some sections in the forum that seem pretty dead, new members would probably help revive that.

The Library

Not yet. Mainly because I'm nervous about showing my work to others.

n/a ^^^^^

Maybe it would be helpful for the people submitting to add something like what they're looking for from reviews? Some people like intensive criticism, some people like no criticism, some people are focusing on a very specific issue with their piece (is this POV right, grammar, etc.) I'm hesitant to give feedback if it's unwarranted.

Possibly? Though what that might look like, I don't know... maybe something like 1 for "meh needs work" and 5 *chef's kiss* (just as a super rough suggestion lol)

Discord (Optional)

No - see above. I also belong to another writing related Discord and I'm trying to keep Internet time to a productive minimum.

n/a ^^^^^^

n/a ^^^^^

Writing Challenges

I haven't participated in them yet. (See above: I'm hesitant about posting my work, especially since it's unfinished and unpolished, but this is due to me and not the website.)

I'm not sure. Maybe a poll for what people would like the next challenge to be? Or, in future, a calendar of 'themes 'for the year, so that people can plan ahead what they might want to submit?

Note that April is Camp Nano for a lot of people, myself included. (So is July, and November is Nanowrimo) - I expect you'll see a downswing in submission to the challenges during these months, and the post-Nano/post-holiday months when everyone is too full of roast dinner and drunk on resolutions. I don't think you should get rid of the challenges entirely, and I also think a month is a reasonable timeframe for most people. I think it also depends on what the challenge is (I saw that April was something to do with worldbuilding/mythology and as this isn't relevant to my current WIP, I didn't have anything to post for it.)

Also keep in mind that you'll probably only ever get... 10%(?) of a userbase actively participating instead of passively viewing (I can't remember the exact ratio but it's a phenomenon in other contexts too). So, all of this to say, don't feel bad if you don't get a ton of activity with the challenges.

As others have mentioned, it also depends on a) people's other projects and life commitments and b) whether they have the sheer balls to post their work for public viewing (which I don't lol).

Maybe it would help if you had a specified word-range for people to hit? Or if you made the prompts less specific (like a word or a picture)?

Do you have any ideas for any new site-wide challenges we could do instead of the monthly challenges (and the word count challenge)??

How about a "time spent/days spent" challenge? Similar to the 'X' thing where you cross off an X for every day you've written. An alternative to word-count based goals.

7 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

But self policing the rules can go sideways fast. If someone is blatantly abusing the rules, a mod needs to be informed a.s.a.p, we don't want users trying to enforce the rules.

The time I saw that was just really light, when something was in the danger of turning political from a new member, and it was just a kind reminder from one of the older members to take a look at the rules, which had immediate effect. :)  

22 hours ago, roadmagician said:

I am on a Discord, but 'real-time' discussion can be hard if you're out of sync with the Northern hemisphere (America), you tend to miss big swathes of conversation and are basically yelling into the void while everyone else is asleep. So the forum format is nice because it allows for this slower pace as well as larger chunks of conversation. I may visit the Discord in future.

Yeah, this is totally an issue that several of our members who are in Europe/outside the U.S. have - they find it harder to try and catch up and take part in the conversation because some of the time we're all chatting when it's, like, 1 AM for them and they need to go to bed. XD But largely it just depends on the time of day...like right now, it's dead quiet in the Discord (partially because I haven't been that active in it today, but also partially because @Sheepy-Pie was away for the weekend and the weekends can be quiet just in general), but it's usually not super chatty at night, anyway, it kind of dies down. But then the people who are in Europe will be up in a few hours and that's when the chatter kinda starts. You're more than welcome to join in on the chatter whenever you want, even if it's just to say a quick "hi." 🙂

I get the impression they are invested in this website and would try their best to help.

Absolutely! ❤️

See above: I'm hesitant about posting my work, especially since it's unfinished and unpolished, but this is due to me and not the website

Which is totally fair! We would never try and force someone to post something that they're not comfortable posting into the library. We only want people to do it when they're comfortable enough and ready for feedback. Admittedly I have two chapters in the library that are really not that polished and do need work, but I really wanted to get something from a recent project up. Plus I was wanting even just a bit of feedback on those chapters, so I'm definitely glad I put them up. Once I finally get through this draft and take a break from it, I'll be revising those two chapters and will be putting the revised version up again for feedback.

I'm not sure. Maybe a poll for what people would like the next challenge to be? Or, in future, a calendar of 'themes 'for the year, so that people can plan ahead what they might want to submit? 

Admittedly, I was trying to do a poll to determine the next challenge's prompt for a while, and then I kind of forgot/just stopped bothering because it wasn't really making that much of a difference. The calendar is a good idea, except we'd actually have to come up with enough ideas for prompts that would work and might get submissions first, haha. Honestly, I'm not sure that being able to plan ahead that far would really going to make a difference, though. People are going to prioritize their own main writing projects first, and if they don't have anything (polished) that works for the prompts we give, they're not going to submit. It also doesn't seem to matter how much time we give to prepare for the challenges.

Maybe it would be helpful for the people submitting to add something like what they're looking for from reviews? Some people like intensive criticism, some people like no criticism, some people are focusing on a very specific issue with their piece (is this POV right, grammar, etc.) I'm hesitant to give feedback if it's unwarranted.

There's actually already a part of the form that says "feedback requests" so that people can do exactly this. XD

Note that April is Camp Nano for a lot of people, myself included. (So is July, and November is Nanowrimo) - I expect you'll see a downswing in submission to the challenges during these months, and the post-Nano/post-holiday months when everyone is too full of roast dinner and drunk on resolutions. I don't think you should get rid of the challenges entirely, and I also think a month is a reasonable timeframe for most people. I think it also depends on what the challenge is (I saw that April was something to do with worldbuilding/mythology and as this isn't relevant to my current WIP, I didn't have anything to post for it.)

The thing is that - based on the last three years - it really doesn't matter whether or not Camp or regular NaNo are running, because we still have a downswing in submissions. There's ultimately very little interest in the writing challenges, and this has unfortunately been a problem since day one. It's because of this that I wanted to ask this question, because it's gotten to the point where I'm just really frustrated with the overall lack of interest in the challenges despite our best efforts to try and encourage everyone to participate. So because of the fact that it's been three years of struggles, with maybe less than five of those challenges being ones where we've gotten more than three or four submissions, I've just gotten to the point where it's like "why do we even bother any more?" and "maybe we should just get rid of them altogether."

Not to mention (and this isn't something you would know since you hadn't joined yet when we did this back in October), we pause the challenges from October to December because we know that people are preparing for NaNo and aren't going to submit to the challenges. We don't do that for camp because it's not really as impactful as regular NaNo is, but the other thing is that at least with Camp, it's a little more flexible than NaNo is. i.e. if you want to write something for a challenge that we post during camp while also writing your main NaNo project, you can do so, but the main NaNo challenge is technically not quite as flexible. And like I said above in a reply to @Pinchofmagic, we actually allow people to use scenes or chapters or whatever from their current projects as long as it fits the fantasy genre and fits the prompt that we give, so...again, regardless of whether or not Camp is in session, if people really WANTED to, they would make the time to write something or polish up an excerpt that would work for a challenge.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably only ever get... 10%(?) of a userbase actively participating instead of passively viewing (I can't remember the exact ratio but it's a phenomenon in other contexts too). So, all of this to say, don't feel bad if you don't get a ton of activity with the challenges.

You might be right, but honestly, after three years? This shouldn't even make a difference, especially since the challenges are one of the main features that we make sure to mention in our ads for the forum. I've seen other forums that run writing challenges pretty much the same way we do, and they get tons of submissions. So why is it that we are constantly struggling? Keep in mind that we give a variety of different prompts - we've done dialogue, we've done image prompts, we've done free writes, we've done ones like the mythology prompt for April, we've done specific themes...it's still a constant struggle, no matter what we offer as a prompt. And sometimes we'll offer two prompts for the same challenge, and will offer an image prompt as well as a theme and allow members to either write a response to one prompt or the other or combine the two together. We're actually pretty flexible when it comes to the prompts, when all is said and done, so it's not like we're not trying to give any kind of flexibility or anything.

and b) whether they have the sheer balls to post their work for public viewing (which I don't lol).

Lol, fair enough. XD

Maybe it would help if you had a specified word-range for people to hit? Or if you made the prompts less specific (like a word or a picture)?

Yeaaah, we already have that...the max word count is 5,000 words. XD And like I already said, we've done picture prompts. Some people are inspired by pictures and some aren't. Also, I wouldn't say that a specific word or picture prompt are actually "less specific." Some people prefer more open prompts, so we try to give them that. Believe me when I say we've probably tried every trick in the book over the last three years to try and gather more interest and have less of a struggle with the challenges. It's why I'm really considering just getting rid of them altogether and just post open prompts in the prompt section that don't have deadlines. People seemed to be responding well when I was posting the "50 word fantasy" prompts or whatever that I found on Reddit, but those prompts wouldn't work for the monthly writing challenges.

How about a "time spent/days spent" challenge? Similar to the 'X' thing where you cross off an X for every day you've written. An alternative to word-count based goals.

So like...instead of a word count challenge it would be a challenge where you count how many days/hours you spend writing? o.O Hm. I'm not entirely sure that I see this as being as easy to keep track of as word count. When I write, I don't keep track of days/hours. I mainly just focus on word count.

The Community

• I check fairly regularly.  Pretty much any time I sit down to my computer when I'm not playing with my son I check the forums at least once.  I really like the fact that we can quickly/easily find unread content, which helps me keep up.  I might not always respond to everything, though I wish there was a way to mark threads as something I want to go back to and answer.  Something I can easily find a list for.  When I'm on my phone I often won't reply to posts, but since they're no longer 'unread' I can't always find/remember them.+

• I use both, though I use the Discord more often simply because the program tells me when there are new messages before I even open it.  I like to use the forums for things I want to be able to find again, or that I want a larger section of people to see.  I like to use the discord for more social matters and things that I juts need a quick answer to.

• Everything is pretty clear so far.

• Generally speaking, yes.  Since the staff members are from a few different locations, there's only a few hours during which I am awake that there is no staff member available.

• So far I'm really feeling at home here.  There have been the occasional misunderstandings between myself and other members, but they have been quickly and sensibly resolved and I don't have any current issues with anyone, which is wonderful.  Everyone here is so supportive.  My only issue is something that would be an issue on all writing forums: because we're all writers it's hard to put myself forward because I know everyone else is trying equally hard (more or less depending on individuals) to get their writing looked at.

The Forum

• The site is beautiful and has a lot of really great options!  It took me a bit to remember where everything was, but in general I find it easy to use.  I would actually like to see more things in the quick word prompt section, since I enjoy doing those.  

• I'm almost thinking critique/excerpts should be on the forums, not the Discord, since things easily scroll out of control, and it's hard for people to find the information once someone else puts one up; but the discord would be good place to post links to the forum counterparts (if they existed) as is done in announcements, etc.

• I have joined a few clubs, I think about 4.  I haven't made any clubs, but I've been tempted to.

• I'm not sure.  Clubs are based around a certain number of people showing interest in an idea, and I don't have enough of a feel for what interests enough people to make a club for.

• I think all the parts are good; the only things that don't interest me are simply things I'm not ready to use yet rather than any sort of belief that the sections are not interesting/important.

The Library

• I've been using it, though not as frequently as I should.  Mostly it's just because I need a certain level of focus to read a piece with a critical mind, and that focus has been lacking lately.  The same goes for posting, oddly enough.  

• My only issue has been resolved.

• This was answered in an earlier question.

• I think if there is to be a guideline, it's something that will need discussion in its own thread so we can more easily add our thoughts on the matter without it getting clouded with other matters.

Discord (Optional)

• I sure do!  It's a great place to just chat with writers in a way that creates bonds and interest in each other, but isn't necessarily writing focused.  This makes it easier to put things on the forum that ARE writing focused because I have a better feel for the people I'm communicating with.

• In general I find it easy to join any conversation that I have an opinion on.  Sometimes the conversation is about things that don't interest/concern me, and then I'm more likely to be quiet.  I like that we have the two general channels so that if one conversation doesn't interest some people, they can start a secondary one in the other general.

• Not off the top of my head.

Writing Challenges

• Yes and no.  I really love the challenges, but I find they are just TOO much in any month that also has a NaNo (Regular or Camp).  I was quite sad that the myths and legends challenge was in a NaNo month because I would have liked to do it.  But it's too stressful for me to split my attention between two timed things.

• Maybe a vote on the theme.  Or two themes each month so that people have a better chance of getting one that inspires them?

• I think this merits a fuller discussion on the topic.  I think that challenges are really great conceptually, but need some fine tuning perhaps to get more people to sign up.

• I really liked the micro challenges, and I wish they had been focused more because they might be easier for people to do alongside their big challenges.

The Community

I've been a bit quiet on here lately, but every time I come back there's more names, more content, and seemingly more activity, which is great! For me, that's the main thing - just get loads of relevant activity going, and I'll be more likely to post and engage. So in summary - keep up the good work :)

In general I use both forum and discord. I also try and use the WS twitter account to keep engagement going there too. Nothing is particularly unclear to me. No issues with staff responsiveness.

The Forum

Love the new forum! It is easy to use and most importantly, it looks like a fantasy writing forum should look, right down to the purple colours and creepy tree theme. I do think some sort of critique place, for people to post and workshop their writing, would be useful. But that depends if that is a goal of the forum. I joined a club but I have been very slack there ... I can only apologise.

The Library

Again, the library here is infinitely more user friendly than with the last software, so good job  on that. I would say the one thing that slightly puts me off with it is simple user engagement. I posted something there a couple of months ago and have had no replies, despite replying to some other users' library content. Maybe I am not using the library for what it's supposed to be for, but then the comments option suggests feedback. Sounds like I'm having a right moan - I'm not! But it would just be nice. No-one wants to shout into the void, or indeed raise a fist to an indifferent sky :)

Discord (Optional)

Just logged back on there. Nice to see lots of names and content. No issues with this. It was a little quite before, going back a few months.

Writing Challenges

I really have not looked into this enough. [Goes and has a poke around]. Okay. To me, a couple of things keep me from fully engaging here: one is the word count. Writing up to 5k words in a month is a very tall order timewise for me, so I kind of feel a bit like - if you don't have bags of time, then this isn't for you, which will then somewhat limit the content. Also the fact that entries must be submitted to the library makes it just that little bit less user friendly. Why not just have threads for each month's entries to save having to click here, there and everywhere? Lastly, the prompts. Who chooses these? What scope is there for prompt suggestions to be submitted and then voted on by the general membership? I see it says 'send us your ideas' in the FAQ but ... I dunno, maybe make it just less of a black box. It could form a great discussion topic and just cast the net a smidge wider that way. It might be that way already of course and I just don't know. Hope all this helps anyway :)

The Community

I mostly go to the forum when I see a new post that interests me on the Discord channel.  I've tried exploring the forums a few times, but I'm not really much of a forum user in general, so I have a hard time navigating them and finding things that interest me.  I'm not sure how they could be improved, I think the problem there is mostly with me. ^_^"

I'm on the Discord server pretty much every day because I'm on Discord for friends pretty much every day.  As already mentioned, I mostly visit the forums when they've been linked in the Discord and the topic catches my interest.

Nope.

Oh yes!  The staff have been marvelously quick to respond and assist when ever I have an issue, which is rarely.

It's wonderful, but sometimes things feel too quiet.  I think just growing the community will change that though.

The Forum

Mmm...no comment.

I can't think of any.

I joined the 2019 million words thingy, but I didn't realize there were other clubs.

N/A

I don't really visit the forum much in general, but my favorite topics of late have been things like the Favorite kind of villain post where we consider our own more artistic side of writing as well as the examples others have produced.  I think these kinds of topic really help hone our instincts for good story material into more conscious level skills.

The Library

I've submitted for monthly challenges, but really I have so many other things to read right now on top of my writing, I try to avoid the library for fear of getting sucked in.

Nope.

Nope.

I don't know anything about this submission rating system...

Discord (Optional)

Very much so!

Sometimes people are just really quiet.  I'm not sure how to encourage people to talk more though.  I'm not much of a talker myself most of the time.

Nope.

Writing Challenges

Yes!  I really like them, though I've only been around about two months-ish at this point.

No, I like this system.

No, no!  Not at all!  Yeah, I wish more people would participate, but, again, I think the solution is simply growing the community.  Maybe people could volunteer prizes for the best stories, like a piece of art or a small gift card or something.  Nothing too big, maybe even something more along the lines of simple recognition, like creating a winner's wall or something (if there isn't one already).

No, I can't really think of anything.  Maybe a poetry challenge, but I'm not sure it would get any more participation than the writing challenge currently does.

Okay, I'm going to try and respond to everyone who's responded since my last one tonight, but if I don't do it tonight I will definitely do it tomorrow. XD

21 hours ago, Mynoris said:

though I wish there was a way to mark threads as something I want to go back to and answer.  Something I can easily find a list for.  When I'm on my phone I often won't reply to posts, but since they're no longer 'unread' I can't always find/remember them.+

Hmm...not sure whether or not there's any kind of a feature for this software that does that (and is free) but it might be something that we could check into. Or maybe there is a way to mark a thread as a "favorite" and I'm just not aware of it...

Actually, isn't that something you could do? Create a folder in your browser's "favorites" just for Worldsmyths threads and use that as a way to bookmark the ones that you know you want to come back to? That's what I would do if I was you, and then you could just delete the ones you've already visited/responded to after.

21 hours ago, Mynoris said:

I would actually like to see more things in the quick word prompt section, since I enjoy doing those.  

We have nothing saying that members cannot post prompts. In fact, they're encouraged to, since it would give the staff members one less thing to have to stay on top of (not that we're not happy to post prompts when we think of it and find something worthy of posting, it's just I, at least, always have other things that I try to prioritize doing on the forum and don't always think of it, so I'd love it if the members could take the reins a bit with something like the writing prompts). I'm not sure how many people would respond to word prompts for the writing challenges, since it might be a little too specific, but if you want to do it in the writing prompts section, go for it.

22 hours ago, Mynoris said:

I'm almost thinking critique/excerpts should be on the forums, not the Discord, since things easily scroll out of control, and it's hard for people to find the information once someone else puts one up; but the discord would be good place to post links to the forum counterparts (if they existed) as is done in announcements, etc.

I've actually been thinking that we should probably have this in the back of my mind, I just haven't brought it up and asked if it's something anyone would want. We added the critique/excerpts channel, if I remember right, before we had the new software and the library, so I think that was mainly why we have that channel, and then we moved onto the new software and we just haven't done anything else with adding an actual forum section to it for critiquing/excerpts. But the thing is, there's a category in the library for excerpts, so there's really no reason to have a section on the forum for that kind of thing when we already have the library category for it and we want everything to be kept together due to organization. The only thing I could maybe see making sense is if it was for requests for feedback on something that you've submitted to the library...with the rule that you could only bump your thread asking for feedback once every, like, five days or something so that it doesn't become obnoxious and keep others from getting feedback. So I would be okay with adding a requests section, but otherwise we really don't want to be putting any actual submissions on the forum itself, they need to be in the library.

I think if there is to be a guideline, it's something that will need discussion in its own thread so we can more easily add our thoughts on the matter without it getting clouded with other matters.

Definitely. This was mainly us just trying to gather interest/feedback in such a thing. I will work on coming up with some kind of a draft for the rating system to give in the discussion and will get it posted soon (at least some time in the next few weeks) so we can discuss it before it actually gets put into place.

Yes and no.  I really love the challenges, but I find they are just TOO much in any month that also has a NaNo (Regular or Camp).  I was quite sad that the myths and legends challenge was in a NaNo month because I would have liked to do it.  But it's too stressful for me to split my attention between two timed things.

Fair enough. I totally get this, 'cause I typically (especially right now) cannot split my brain between two writing projects at once. Usually with the writing challenges it hasn't been that bad for me in the past, 'cause I've ended up using something from my project that fits the prompt and then just edited it, but that's not always possible. I am probably not doing the mythology challenge, if only because I really don't have any ideas for it right now...but if I really wanted to and could think of something to write, I would do it. I find that I can split my brain enough to be able to do that, at least, when I have an actual idea.

Maybe a vote on the theme.  Or two themes each month so that people have a better chance of getting one that inspires them?

I said this in another reply above. We were doing this for a while, when I'd remember to do so, but getting people to actually vote was like pulling teeth...and even when we actually got people to vote, that didn't mean that they were actually intending to participate in the challenge. So let's say we do a poll with five different prompts to choose from and one of those prompts gets seven votes so we use that as the challenge for the next month....there's no guarantee that all seven people who voted for that prompt would actually submit to the challenge even though they voted for the prompt.

I think this merits a fuller discussion on the topic.  I think that challenges are really great conceptually, but need some fine tuning perhaps to get more people to sign up.

Agreed. I was trying to avoid having to do a separate discussion topic, if only because we've probably asked for feedback on them more times than I'd like to admit and the feedback always boils down to reasons like "I don't have enough time," or "I don't always respond well to writing prompts" or whatever the reason may be. They're fair enough reasons, but...it seems that no matter what we do, we always struggle to get submissions and it's been that way from day one, so it's gotten past the point of frustration, which is why I wanted to ask whether or not we should just get rid of them entirely (or at least until a certain point in time) and focus on regular writing prompts with no deadline for a while. I mean, when I posted those 50 word prompts that I got on Reddit, those were getting a lot of responses...so it kind of shows me that people would rather respond to things with no deadline and without a ton of thought having to be put into them compared to what a writing challenge response requires (coming up with the idea, writing it, making it work with the prompt, editing, submitting).

I really need to go to bed so I will reply to @bdcharles and @Tangwystle tomorrow, but please keep the feedback/discussion coming! ❤️

On 4/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, Jedi Knight Muse said:

The Community

Several times a day, I'm always checking the activity feed for new updates.

Seeing that I'm #3 most chatty....yes. I do use it.

No, they make sense to me. They really just boil down to 'don't be a jerk'.

Most of the time yeah. Not that problems really ever come up. It's mostly just to get newbies moved on Discord that require a staff member handy.

I've been here for almost a year now and I quite like the community. Its low drama and friendly, and most of all, not snooty or uppity like so many writing communities can be.

The Forum

Its sooooooo much better. The old one was so cluttered and just less pretty.

No, I think what we have covers everything I've needed. I prefer having a few small, more open categories than a whole lot of highly specific ones.

Joined - Yes, Created - No.

Not that I can think of. Sheepy started that critique one but we haven't really used it much... YET.

I use the Activity Feed 90% of the time so I'm not really paying attention to what part I'm in when I'm replying. I don't use the library that much I guess.

The Library

I've both submitted and reviewed stories on it. It works just fine. I haven't done MUCH reviewing, but that's more of a personal thing. If a piece of writing is just sitting there, I probably won't review it, but if someone asked me specifically to take a look, I would. I'm guessing a lot of people are like that, seeing how few reviews there are.

Nope works just fine.

I touched on this a couple questions ago, about how I really only review when asked directly. Part of it is because I don't know the person very well, how much reviewing can they handle? Do they just want me to say nice things, or do they want actual critique? Also, its way easier to give a full critique in a google doc than as a reply to a post. So those things hold me back from reviewing.

I think we should take this question to a separate post. Personally, I HATE 5 star ratings, which I've talked about before. My 3 might be someone's 5, its so subjective. And there's a huuuuge difference between 4 stars and 5 stars. If we could give half stars, great. But only whole stars? I don't want to look like an ass by only giving something a couple. I choose to leave a comment instead of a starred review myself, but I know others might still like the 5 star system. So I think it deserves its own discussion post. I think Goodreads has a decent explanation, with 1 being 'didn't finish, or really disliked it', and 5 being 'amazing, would read it again and again'. That's paraphrasing from memory though.

Discord (Optional)

Sure do.

Super easy.

They all make sense to me.

Writing Challenges

We've talked about this a lot. Have we tried two months? Like Mynoris said in their reply, with Camp NaNo going they don't have time to do the challenge this month. Maybe for NaNo months at least, we could try two months? Also, I'm in favour of extending the Myth one until the end of May, I am rapidly running out of April hours to write something.

Maybe we go with a choice - a prompt (provided by staff or members), a picture prompt, and free write. That way there really is something for everyone.

In theory, but realistically I've only submitted.... 3 times? In the year I've been here. What stops me? Honestly I forget about them. I think we need more reminder posts. I tried to stir up more interest/remind people about the myth one with a brainstorming post but it didn't get much traction. But more reminders, both on the forum and on Discord would help.

I don't know, every other month? Have them last for two months? Have a monthly prompt, then a couple micro prompts, then another monthly prompt? Just tossing random ideas out. Or character building months, where you.... create a character and share an excerpt about them. Alternating with Worldbuilding months, where we submit a country, or a religion, or a geographic region?

Even though I haven't been submitting, I still don't want to see them go. I like that they are there as an option. I think we just need more reminders, more discussion, to drum up interest.

Nothing is jumping out at me. Umm... Collaborative challenges? Like Round Robins?

Continuing my attempt to reply to everyone and catch up. 😛 Life is crazy right now, but please keep the feedback and discussion coming!

@Mynoris amendment to what I said last night regarding bookmarking posts: you could do what I suggested, but you can also go to the main section of a forum (i.e. the "foundations" forum and click "follow in the top right hand corner above where all the posts are and make it so you can get emails whenever a topic is posted. That's what I've done. That way, you can at least get the email notification that it's been posted.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, bdcharles said:

I do think some sort of critique place, for people to post and workshop their writing, would be useful. But that depends if that is a goal of the forum. I joined a club but I have been very slack there ... I can only apologise.

We do have the critique group that @Sheepy-Pie started, but it's been quiet. We do need to try and kick something into gear with it soon, though. Otherwise, as far as goals for the forum go...I mean, yeah. One of the main goals has always been to provide feedback to members, so in this case it's just a matter of it being in the club VS through the library.

I would say the one thing that slightly puts me off with it is simple user engagement. I posted something there a couple of months ago and have had no replies, despite replying to some other users' library content. Maybe I am not using the library for what it's supposed to be for, but then the comments option suggests feedback. Sounds like I'm having a right moan - I'm not! But it would just be nice. No-one wants to shout into the void, or indeed raise a fist to an indifferent sky 🙂

This is something we've always struggled with, regardless of us being on the old forum or the new. People want to submit their writing for feedback, and have no problem giving the links to their submissions in Discord, but they don't (always) want to put their foot forward and do the reviewing for others first. But then, as you gave an example of, sometimes even when you do put that foot forward, they don't return the favor. Unfortunately there's not a ton we can do to really enforce anything to get members to make a bigger effort with giving each other feedback, and I have no intention of trying to enforce any kind of a reviewing requirement system 'cause that kind of thing doesn't work in a writing group of more than three or four people who are all on the same page with their writing...and I think that's probably one of the reasons the workshop club hasn't gotten much love. Not everyone is at the point of needing feedback with their current projects yet, so it's harder to put themselves out their for feedback and try and utilize the club when they're not at that point yet. I would like to see some kind of activity there in general, though.

To me, a couple of things keep me from fully engaging here: one is the word count. Writing up to 5k words in a month is a very tall order timewise for me, so I kind of feel a bit like - if you don't have bags of time, then this isn't for you, which will then somewhat limit the content.

You don't have to write 5,000 words, though. We've never required anyone to write 5,000 words. You can write as little as 1,000 words if you want, or somewhere in between that. We know that some people can typically only write around 1,000 words for short stories, which is fine, but some are able to write between that and 5,000 words. It's really not THAT much to be writing, and like I've said previously, we do allow members to submit things from their current projects if it they 1. fit the prompt/fantasy genre and 2. are able to edit them (or I mean, I guess they don't really HAVE to edit them ahead of time XD) before submitting them. I don't think it's really unreasonable to ask people to submit up to 5,000 words.

Also the fact that entries must be submitted to the library makes it just that little bit less user friendly. Why not just have threads for each month's entries to save having to click here, there and everywhere

I mean...it makes the most sense, organizationally, to keep the submissions in the library where all of the other submissions are, because what's the point of having the library if we're going to split the submissions up and have the challenge submissions on the forum but have everything else in the library? It doesn't make any real sense to do it that way.

Having the submissions in each month's entries wouldn't save that much clicking (in fact, it would probably be worse), plus it would mean a lot of scrolling depending on 1. the amount of submissions (say we, by some chance, eight submissions. There's a good chance that it would end up being two pages of a forum post, which would still mean that you'd have to do extra clicking) 2. the word count of each submission. Say one submission is only 1,000 words, but the next is 5,000. There's still a lot of scrolling involved. There's also the fact that someone who submits to a writing challenge might want feedback to their submission, but they wouldn't be able to get feedback to it because of all the other submissions that were submitted in that thread for the challenge.

So then another option could be to just have individual posts for challenge submissions (so I would make one for my submission and then you'd make one for yours), but...it would be counterproductive, because that's exactly what we were doing on the old forum, and no one liked that set up, so that's why we ended up upgrading to the current software, so that we could have the library and have all of the submissions in one place and organized. I am strongly against doing it the way you're suggesting. We have the library, we should be utilizing it as much as possible, even if it means extra clicking. And honestly, if extra clicking is really what's keeping people from submitting and/or voting, then that's kind of...sad.

Lastly, the prompts. Who chooses these? What scope is there for prompt suggestions to be submitted and then voted on by the general membership? I see it says 'send us your ideas' in the FAQ but ... I dunno, maybe make it just less of a black box. It could form a great discussion topic and just cast the net a smidge wider that way. It might be that way already of course and I just don't know. Hope all this helps anyway 🙂

The challenges seem to have fallen on to me, so I have been choosing the prompts lately, although @Penguinball has been giving suggestions (she suggested the mythology one, for example). As far as prompt suggestions being submitted and voted on...I mean, we can do it that way, and there have been times where we've done it, but like I said in a reply above, even if we have people vote on the prompt that doesn't necessarily guarantee those people who vote are going to submit just because they choose the prompt...I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of times where that's been the case when I've put up polls for voting on a prompt for the next challenge.

As far as giving suggestions go, I mean...I suppose you're right? But really, we're pretty open minded when it comes to the prompts for the challenges. If you think of a prompt that you think would work and would keep within the fantasy genre, go ahead and suggest it. I don't know if we necessarily need to create a discussion post just to get prompt suggestions, but I'm not opposed to it. It's not easy coming up with prompts that we haven't already done in the last three years and people will want to submit to, because some people don't bother with writing prompts, and sometimes a prompt can be too specific or not specific enough.

For what it's worth, it sounds like people just want a variety of prompts to choose from when we post the writing challenges, so I will do my best to give more of a variety- i.e. a picture prompt and a regular prompt. The other thing to keep in mind, though, is that people are supposed to be voting on the submission that best fits the given prompt, but if you always give both a picture prompt and a regular prompt for each challenge, that doesn't necessarily work? So that's why we try to change it up by not always giving a picture prompt as an option, for example.

...aaaand I'll reply to the next responses tomorrow.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:23 PM, Tangwystle said:

I think just growing the community will change that though.

Haha, we have like...roughly 375 registered accounts on the forum from over the last three years, give or take some banned accounts. It's just that there's sadly a very small percentage of those accounts that are actually active (like, logging in, making posts, etc). So the community is definitely pretty grown, it's just that we need to get more of the members to start being active again...especially some of the people who've registered recently but haven't yet introduced themselves, for example.

I joined the 2019 million words thingy, but I didn't realize there were other clubs.

You can find them all here XD.

I don't know anything about this submission rating system...

So right now, when you go to read something that's submitted into the library, if you go way down to the bottom of it you'll see a text area where you can type a review or a comment, and the review part allows you to give between one and five stars, so that's mainly what this is referring to - we'd be coming up with some kind of a guideline for what each star can mean, although the problem is, as @Penguinball pointed out in her reply, it can be really subjective. Unfortunately, though, there's no way to NOT give a star rating if you choose to leave a review VS leave a comment, and there's no setting for turning them off or anything like that.

I think the solution is simply growing the community.  Maybe people could volunteer prizes for the best stories, like a piece of art or a small gift card or something.  Nothing too big, maybe even something more along the lines of simple recognition, like creating a winner's wall or something (if there isn't one already). 

I mean, you're not wrong. But - and this could also be because we've been dealing with this for the last three years, so maybe I'm...what's the word for it?...being a bit pessimistic? - if over the last three years, the amount of submissions and overall struggle with the challenges really haven't changed that much despite the fact that we are continuously gaining new members, then I'm not sure that growing the community is really going to make that much of a difference. It basically comes down to people needing to prioritize the challenges. If they want to submit and they like the prompt that's been chosen, they'll make it a priority to get something submitted.

As far as prizes go...you're not the first one to suggest that, I'm sure you won't be the last. XD Sadly, though, Worldsmyths doesn't make any money, and the staff doesn't have the money to put up prizes, so they're not possible at this point. We do have a donation button that anyone is welcome to donate money to if they wish, but obviously there's no obligation to do so. I would love it if we could get to the point of offering some kind of prize, but unfortunately that's just not possible right now. I've also always been of the belief that it shouldn't take a prize being offered for someone to choose to submit something to these challenges. The challenges are meant to be just that, a challenge to help members explore their characters or worlds or whatever, and they're optional so while we certainly hope and encourage people to enter, they're not required to participate in. The only reason we're able to offer any kind of prizes for the word count challenge is because we have sponsors offering prizes for that challenge, but we have no one willing to do that for the writing challenges and quite frankly, I'm not sure anyone would do so considering how few submissions we currently get.

Maybe a poetry challenge, but I'm not sure it would get any more participation than the writing challenge currently does.

Yeaaah, I don't think it would either. I'm not even sure of how many people on the forum actually write poetry. I personally hate poetry, and can't write it worth anything, so I definitely wouldn't participate in it. XD

On 4/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, Penguinball said:

I've been here for almost a year now and I quite like the community. Its low drama and friendly, and most of all, not snooty or uppity like so many writing communities can be.

❤️

Not that I can think of. Sheepy started that critique one but we haven't really used it much... YET.

Yeaaah, we need to get going on getting it active again. XD

I'm guessing a lot of people are like that, seeing how few reviews there are.

I would say that's probably at least one reason, yeah.

I touched on this a couple questions ago, about how I really only review when asked directly. Part of it is because I don't know the person very well, how much reviewing can they handle? Do they just want me to say nice things, or do they want actual critique?

Well hopefully they would use the part of the form where it asks what feedback requests someone has to answer these kinds of questions 😛 .

Maybe we go with a choice - a prompt (provided by staff or members), a picture prompt, and free write. That way there really is something for everyone.

Hm...but do we do it that way with every challenge? And if so, do we just let people keep voting based on what "the best" submission is, even if they're all responses to different prompts? We've always tried to shake it up with the prompts by not always making them the same - i.e. one month will be a theme, the next will be a picture, etc. I'm also honestly not very sure that even if we allow someone to submit something as a free write that it's going to help get us more submissions. (Again, I'm being a bit of a pessimist but I'm still iffy about it.)

I don't know, every other month? Have them last for two months? Have a monthly prompt, then a couple micro prompts, then another monthly prompt? Just tossing random ideas out. Or character building months, where you.... create a character and share an excerpt about them. Alternating with Worldbuilding months, where we submit a country, or a religion, or a geographic region?

It might be interesting to see what would happen if we try having them last for two months, although part of me is a little uncertain that it's going to make a difference...but we could try it! And we could try some of your other suggestions, too.

Even though I haven't been submitting, I still don't want to see them go. I like that they are there as an option. I think we just need more reminders, more discussion, to drum up interest.

Yup, definitely!

8 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Well hopefully they would use the part of the form where it asks what feedback requests someone has to answer these kinds of questions 😛 .

Even if they use it I don't REALLY know what they want when they say 'anything really'. A lot of people aren't super specific about the level of bluntness they want.

8 minutes ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Hm...but do we do it that way with every challenge? And if so, do we just let people keep voting based on what "the best" submission is, even if they're all responses to different prompts? We've always tried to shake it up with the prompts by not always making them the same - i.e. one month will be a theme, the next will be a picture, etc. I'm also honestly not very sure that even if we allow someone to submit something as a free write that it's going to help get us more submissions. (Again, I'm being a bit of a pessimist but I'm still iffy about it.)

IS the voting supposed to be aimed at the one that fits the prompt best? I've always just voted for the best written/most interesting one. And if we aren't getting a lot of submissions now, what do we lose by having it be more open?

31 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

IS the voting supposed to be aimed at the one that fits the prompt best? I've always just voted for the best written/most interesting one. And if we aren't getting a lot of submissions now, what do we lose by having it be more open?

I mean, no, it doesn't have to be. It's what we've always put in the poll, but who knows how people really actually vote? XD Good point.

For what it's worth, I decided to go ahead and extend the deadline for the April challenge to May 31st, so...here's hoping we get a lot of submissions. 😛 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

We do have the critique group that @Sheepy-Pie started, but it's been quiet. We do need to try and kick something into gear with it soon, though. Otherwise, as far as goals for the forum go...I mean, yeah. One of the main goals has always been to provide feedback to members, so in this case it's just a matter of it being in the club VS through the library.

I'm just trying to think of some suggestions and starting points.

Are members actually aware of the existence of all aspects of the website? I don't think I am. I wasn't aware that there was a critique group.

What if you had a link to the library and forums etc. along the top bar instead of in a drop-down menu to increase visibility? I'm kinda wondering if maybe it could be partly the way the website is laid out and the navigability of it. It is beautiful to look at and has so many awesome features, but could it be unintentionally 'hiding' some aspects, buried under links?

(ETA: Please excuse dodgy MSpaint but here's an example of what I mean:

eg.thumb.png.00cf50232982e40660270a89842ec475.png

Like, the FAQ/new user thing is normally the first thing people would see/click on. You could include guidelines/rules there, too. The Calendar is one link I've never really explored. Same with Resources. And I don't know why, except maybe because it's not as visible and I'm not sure what it's for? I have also never used the "create" button to the right of the user thing because it's easier/more familiar to me to just reply within a thread/post or go to the specific section I want and create content there. By contrast, I frequently use the "notifications" panel. This is just the things I've noticed as a user who is lazy.

ETA2: I also just thought of something else. What is the function of that picture icon up on the userbar? What does it do? I have never used it. Likewise for the 'unread content' thing (wouldn't unread content either show up in notifications or in the updated activity)? And I've mentioned the "Create+" button. Removing redundancies could help as well with making the stuff you DO want visible, depending on how much you're actually able to tinker with the layout.

eg2.png.94f043ff54d2417c5d2f5c9cfd79a541.png

This is just an example. Even if you had those things visible across the top, maybe it would entice people to click?

Also, are members posting more on Discord than the forums or vice versa? Which space do you want to be more popular?

How are you promoting the forums? Could members be more active in recommending Worldsmyths on Nanowrimo, fb groups and other forums? Like, could you do a 'promotion drive', would that be something that could work or people are interested in, or would that just be super annoying?

Edited by roadmagician
more ideas pls don't kill me
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

As far as prizes go...you're not the first one to suggest that, I'm sure you won't be the last. XD Sadly, though, Worldsmyths doesn't make any money, and the staff doesn't have the money to put up prizes, so they're not possible at this point.

What if you used what you've already got (the points system) to reward users? What if they got points for reviewing or for submitting?

Don't underestimate the token economy! People do crazy things for points. (Honestly, I like seeing that little green number go up and it encourages me to post more, ngl.) It's the same thing as the progress bar in the Nano forums. And look at WoW - people spend literal money on clothes for their in-game characters! It's addictive for a reason, because it's designed that way, and you can leverage that to get people to use your website more.

A dude I know at work has 'gamified' his classroom with an elaborate RPG setting and points for good behaviour. It works and they all love it! It's super fun.

Basically, the prize doesn't even have to be physical. They could get a 'top reviewer' tagline or hat on their icon or something like that, or a leaderboard for "submitter/writer of the month".

3 hours ago, roadmagician said:

Are members actually aware of the existence of all aspects of the website? I don't think I am. I wasn't aware that there was a critique group.

I mean, I would like to hope that they are and that they've explored the forum enough to be able to find everything, but really I have no real way of knowing that.

What if you had a link to the library and forums etc. along the top bar instead of in a drop-down menu to increase visibility? I'm kinda wondering if maybe it could be partly the way the website is laid out and the navigability of it. It is beautiful to look at and has so many awesome features, but could it be unintentionally 'hiding' some aspects, buried under links?

As far as having the link to the library and forums etc along the top bar instead of the drop down menu...I mean, we could, but the downside is that I think we'd have to buy another forum theme (which @kherezae was nice enough to do, since I believe it cost money, and she also is the one that installed it and such), and I don't really have the money for that due to things just generally being tight right now for me...plus it would have to be something that would actually have that feature instead of a drop down menu and it would also just have to look just as nice as the current one does. And honestly, I mean...I don't think the links being in the drop down is really hiding anything, though.

I mean, I'm not saying "no, we can't do it this way" (and I pretty much imagined what you were describing as the way you did it in Paint XD), it's just...if it ends up being something that's doable, I don't see it happening any time soon. I just looked and I don't even see any settings to be able to move any of that stuff around, so it would all be on @kherezae to fiddle with it, and she's been busy lately so I'm not sure how fast she'd be able to look into it or anything. I'm talking with her right now, though, and she says it's not difficult to do what you're suggesting and she's going to try and look into it soon.

The Calendar is one link I've never really explored. Same with Resources. And I don't know why, except maybe because it's not as visible and I'm not sure what it's for

Hm. I could be wrong but I thought we had done some kind of a guide to explain what's what with some of the new features, but maaaaybe not. I could do a write up to explain them? We don't even really utilize the calendar like it could be used. As far as the resources go, that's actually something that I want to start using more - right now it's for the writing resources that I had gathered into a Google doc several months ago, but I don't think it's all of them (Kher is the one who set it up), and there might be some dead links that need to be taken care of. I'm hoping to get this situated some time in the next few months and be better about staying on top of updating it and letting members submit resources that they find.

What is the function of that picture icon up on the userbar? What does it do? I have never used it. Likewise for the 'unread content' thing (wouldn't unread content either show up in notifications or in the updated activity)? And I've mentioned the "Create+" button. Removing redundancies could help as well with making the stuff you DO want visible, depending on how much you're actually able to tinker with the layout.

The picture icon lets you change the background picture, so that instead of the forest you get to choose one of the other pictures that we've uploaded. It's one of the reasons we chose this specific theme, because we thought it was cool and that people would like being able to change out the background.

The "unread content" thing is basically the same as "view new posts" on any other forum, and is something that I know I utilize and wouldn't want to get rid of.

The "Create+" button is needed in order to create a submission in the library, an update on the main page (all of those information posts that I make, like the ones about the sign ups for the word count challenge and the feedback survey), and some other things, so we can't get rid of that. I don't consider the "unread content" or "create+" button to be redundant.

Also, are members posting more on Discord than the forums or vice versa? Which space do you want to be more popular?

We have a lot of people using Discord who aren't using the forum either at all or are using it very little. We also have members who use the forum but never use Discord. We're hoping that it'll (eventually) kind of get balanced out, but we can't force people to use one over the other or use both if they're not comfortable with it. We basically want people to mainly use the forum, with Discord being secondary, but we can't force that onto them since some people find it easier to chat on Discord than they do on the forum, which is fine. But this is why we have the forum discussion channel. We use it to post links to discussions and the like that are taking place on the forum so we can try and draw people into reading/replying to them. (So any time you post a discussion topic, please feel free to go ahead and post it in that channel, it doesn't have to be done by a staff member.)

How are you promoting the forums? Could members be more active in recommending Worldsmyths on Nanowrimo, fb groups and other forums? Like, could you do a 'promotion drive', would that be something that could work or people are interested in, or would that just be super annoying?

Promoting the forum is tough because there's so few resources that actually allow advertising (I've come across older forums that don't allow you to advertise at all), and those that do only have specific days for it (like 99.9% of Facebook groups). With Facebook groups, like I said, 99.9% of them only allow you to advertise on specific days (like, there's an "official" NaNoWriMo Facebook group, but they only allow you to advertise on the first Monday of each month, so I have to wait until May 1st before I can post the link again, for example), in addition to also having to fight the algorithms. If you're trying to post in a huge group, chances are that unless it gets A LOT of comments/likes, it's really not going to get seen by anyone and is going to end up being buried before most people see that it's there.

@bdcharles has been awesome and has been helping to oversee the Worldsmyths twitter account, so between the two of us we've been trying to tweet as much as possible to get the word out there about the forum. I've also been trying to make sure to retweet some of the tweets on my own author account, and I know @Penguinball has been doing the same.

I'm a member of several other Discord servers, though admittedly I'm not super active in there, but I've kind of tried to do a little bit of advertising in there when I can/it's allowed but I don't want to be one of those people who is clearly not active otherwise but just wants to lure members from their servers into ours or something.

There's a Reddit thing specifically for linking to Discord servers that I've been putting the link up onto whenever I think of it. I think we've gotten a fair amount of people from there (I think @Prophecybound might have come from there?), but they don't always actually say anything once they're in the server and are moved into the main channels/register on the forum/stick around. There's also the fantasy Reddit, but the problem is that directly linking to another website isn't allowed, so it requires some tricky "hey, I just happen to know of a website named Worldsmyths if you want to Google it..." maneuvering, and it has to be in a post where it's actually relevant (i.e. asking about other writing communities).

I try to do some advertising through our Instagram, but I'm honestly not sure whether or not it actually brings anyone to the forum. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that they found the site through it.

The problem is that forums are just not what they used to be, and we have to battle against Facebook groups because they're "more convenient" and somehow it's "easier" to remember that they exist over a forum, even though you can turn on e-mail notifications to get sent to your e-mail, and God knows I send out enough newsletters that, theoretically, they should be reminding people that we exist. 😛

I do post the link on the NaNo forum when I can (they have a thing against posting more than a certain amount of times), but the problem is they don't really allow it in the fantasy genre section of the forum, so I have to kind of sneakily get the link up in there in order to attract more people from there. We have gotten a few people from there, but the other issue is that the NaNo forums are also kind of dead at this time of year.

I'm honestly not sure if a promotion drive would really work or not. We'd have to really rely on members to be willing to help us with it, and I'm not sure if that would really work, nor am I sure that they wouldn't run into the same problem that we have (i.e. posting in Facebook groups on specific days that they allow it) when it comes to advertising. Even if everyone with a Twitter account got onto their accounts and made an effort to tweet about the forum and tag certain hashtags, that would be awesome. But...I've given information for how to help us advertise before (i.e. for the word count challenge) and as far as I'm aware, no one has done it, so it's pretty much on us. I'm not against trying to do a promotion drive, I'm just wary that anyone would actually follow through with it, or if they do it would be very few people. And I'm actually not sure how to even run it, 'cause I've never tried before.

2 hours ago, roadmagician said:

What if you used what you've already got (the points system) to reward users? What if they got points for reviewing or for submitting?

...we have a points system? XD (Seriously, I know that we have it but, like, I haven't even looked into how to do anything with it, it's just...automatic. I think it's something that Kher probably set up when we did the switch over to the current software.) I honestly don't know if utilizing the point system in that way would even make any kind of a difference to people.

2 hours ago, roadmagician said:

Basically, the prize doesn't even have to be physical. They could get a 'top reviewer' tagline or hat on their icon or something like that, or a leaderboard for "submitter/writer of the month".

Yeaah, we've given graphics before (it may not be obvious because we've kind of slacked off on it a bit, but we do do it) for "prizes," and it hasn't seemed to make any kind of a difference - meaning, it's not really an incentive to get people to submit to the forum. When people ask about us offering prizes, they're generally looking for things like gift cards and the like, not so much points or anything like that that, at least based on what I've seen.

5 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

The problem is that forums are just not what they used to be, and we have to battle against Facebook groups because they're "more convenient" and somehow it's "easier" to remember that they exist over a forum, even though you can turn on e-mail notifications to get sent to your e-mail, and God knows I send out enough newsletters that, theoretically, they should be reminding people that we exist.

well, FWIW, I'm one who vastly prefers forums over fb groups, but maybe i'm just nostalgic lol

hope you can find some sort of solution! good luck! 🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:
14 hours ago, roadmagician said:

...we have a points system? XD (Seriously, I know that we have it but, like, I haven't even looked into how to do anything with it, it's just...automatic. I think it's something that Kher probably set up when we did the switch over to the current software.) I honestly don't know if utilizing the point system in that way would even make any kind of a difference to people.

I think @roadmagician is talking about the reputation points? But those are given by other members when they react to your posts, I'm not sure if its something that @Jedi Knight Muse could award. I agree that little internet points get people going. That's why I talk so much, gotta boost my forum post number 😛

4 hours ago, Penguinball said:

I think @roadmagician is talking about the reputation points? But those are given by other members when they react to your posts, I'm not sure if its something that @Jedi Knight Muse could award. I agree that little internet points get people going. That's why I talk so much, gotta boost my forum post number 😛

Aah, okay. Yeah, I think it's an automatic thing, but I have no real idea 'cause Kher is the one who set everything up. There are probably things that I'm still not aware of 😛 .

Looking back at the Google doc that I made when we were working on the upgrade to the current software, there is an awards mod, but it's $25.00 and then another $7.00 every six months. :classic_dry:

On 4/17/2019 at 4:15 AM, Jedi Knight Muse said:

We do have the critique group that @Sheepy-Pie started, but it's been quiet. We do need to try and kick something into gear with it soon, though.

I’ve always found that groups on writing sites tend to be very quiet. A section on the forum may get more interest.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.