Hello, everyone! After a couple of days of lurking, I've decided to introduce myself finally. :) I'm not very good at coming up with stuff to say about myself, so I'll just use the helpful template.

Basics

Name/Penname:  Sam

State/country: Russia

Education: I dropped out of college after a year because of a family situation. After that, my education has been all over the place: lots of online and offline courses on lots of different subjects. 

Hobbies and Favorites

What are your hobbies? 

Writing, reading, learning new languages, tabletop roleplaying games, going on road trips with friends whenever time permits, cooking, horseback riding, watching figure skating, occasionally drawing.

What is/are your favorite book(s) and authors? 

The list of my favorite books changes monthly, because I keep reading new books and adding them to that list. I read too much. :D Listing favorite authors would probably be easier, so here goes, in no particular order:

• Seanan McGuire
  • Robin Hobb
  • Mark Lawrence
  • Stephen King
  • RoAnna Sylver
  • Sharon Shinn
  • Megan Whalen Turner
  • Michael J. Sullivan
  • N.K. Jemisin
  • Scott Lynch

What is/are your favorite movie(s) and TV show(s)? 

I don't watch a lot of movies, but the two that spring to mind immediately are The Princess Bride (a childhood favorite) and Only Lovers Left Alive. As for TV shows, I do watch a lot of them. My current top-5 probably looks like this:

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Jessica Jones
  • Stranger Things
  • Babylon 5
  • Dollhouse

Writing

How long have you been writing? 

Since I learned how to write. Before that, I was making up stories in my head and sometimes asking adults to write them down.

What was the first story you wrote that you remember? (Is it finished, and has anyone read it?) 

I have a very foggy recollection of it (that was one of the stories I made up as a very small kid and asked my father to write down for me), but it was a retelling of a bedtime fairy tale. In the original fairy tale, a strong and cunning hero killed a dragon who was terrorizing a kingdom, or something like that. In my version, the hero decided to talk to the dragon instead, convinced it that killing people was bad, became the dragon's friend and I think  they went on some kind of adventure together, possibly to convince an evil king from another fairy tale to stop being evil and to become their friend, too. The story was widely read and praised by my entire family. :D

Tell us a little about your favorite character to write about. 

This is a very complicated question that I'll probably have to skip. The truth is, every character of mine is my favorite. There are some who are harder to write than others, but I really love all of them, even the villains. (Sometimes especially the villains).

Tell us a little about a fantasy world you've created. 

The world itself is probably a rather generic "medieval fantasy with a bit of renaissance," but I like the magic system I came up with for it. The effect isn't very unusual: it simply allows the users to imbue various items with unusual properties (a charmed quill that only allows its user to write the truth even if they try hard to lie; a knife that makes any food cut with it turn fresh even if it got rotten already, that sort of thing). The catch is that it has a price, paid in memories. For every item they create, the mages forget something: maybe the plot of a book they once read, maybe a type of animal they often encounter, maybe their own birthday—it could be anything. It's impossible to predict by any widely known means which memory is going to be lost. That's why mages tend to be very smart and well-traveled: they spend a big part of their lives learning as much as possible about the world around them and experiencing new and new things so they have more things to forget. It is believed that the more things one has to forget, the smaller the chance of forgetting something really important, like whether you have a child or who your own mother even is. 

Tell us a little about your current work in progress. How's it going? 

I have several (I always have several). The main one is a slice of life urban fantasy about a bunch of young mediums, shifters, vampires, ghosts, friendly neighborhood lovecraftian monsters and other supernatural creatures squatting together in a mysterious house protected by a witch's spell because they have nowhere else to go. It's sort of a collection of novellas, each centering around a particular character and loosely connected by an overarching plot. The setting is basically a kitchen sink of urban fantasy tropes; there are mysteries, magic, and supernatural politics, but mostly it's just a character-driven new adult story about finding your place in the world and learning to accept others as well as yourself and all that. It's not the most original thing ever created, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Once I've written and edited a few parts/novellas, I'm planning to start putting it online as a web serial.

Have you participated in NaNoWriMo? If so, how has your experience been?

Yes, several times. I finally won for the first time in 2018, a fact I'm still very proud of.

Worldsmyths

How did you find out about Worldsmyths? 

I'm part of a writing game site called 4TheWords. A short while ago I made a post on the forums there asking if anyone knew of an online writing community and was directed here.

What made you decide to join?

I really love NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNo for the sense of community it provides: it makes writing stop feeling solitary. So I've been looking for some sort of community that would provide the same feeling for more than three months a year, and I'm hoping this might be it.

What do you hope to gain from Worldsmyths? (Examples: Find a beta reader, get feedback, motivation, a sense of community, fine-tuning the craft, etc)

A sense of community; motivation; eventually feedback, once I feel brave enough for that. :)

• Like 1

Hi Sam! Welcome to the forums, and I hope you'll like it here. Your main work in progress, the urban fantasy one, sounds amazing, and definitely something I'd read. :)

• Thanks 1

I'm late to the welcoming party, but welcome, @Sam

19 hours ago, Sam said:

I'm part of a writing game site called 4TheWords. A short while ago I made a post on the forums there asking if anyone knew of an online writing community and was directed here.

Oooh, @Penguinball, your recruitment powers worked! XD :P Anyway, @Sam, let us know if you have any questions! I think you've already made your way into the Discord server. We currently have a writing challenge going on - two, in fact. One is our monthly challenge, and another is a word count challenge. The writing challenge (which was extend to the end of May - something new we're trying, even if I didn't update the post (yet) to indicate that) is here, and you can find info for the word count challenge here. The next sign ups for June will be posted on May 25th.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:46 AM, Jedi Knight Muse said:

I'm late to the welcoming party, but welcome, @Sam

Oooh, @Penguinball, your recruitment powers worked! XD :P Anyway, @Sam, let us know if you have any questions! I think you've already made your way into the Discord server. We currently have a writing challenge going on - two, in fact. One is our monthly challenge, and another is a word count challenge. The writing challenge (which was extend to the end of May - something new we're trying, even if I didn't update the post (yet) to indicate that) is here, and you can find info for the word count challenge here. The next sign ups for June will be posted on May 25th.

Thanks for the welcome and for the heads-up! :) I've noticed the word count challenge already (I really want to participate in June—can't wait for the sign ups), but I've missed the other one completely while looking around. 

I'm late to welcome you as well (I'm on vacation with mixed internet access). Welcome! Always glad to see 4tW folks come over, friendly recruits for a friendly community:)

I see a couple of Whedon shows on your list.  Good taste there. 😛

Also, your memory based magic system is quite intriguing.

Welcome to Worldsmyths.

Hi and welcome!  Your magic system sounds really cool, and I like the idea behind your current WIP.  😃

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.