Jedi Knight Muse

Question of the Day #52: Dangerous Situations

What is the most dangerous situation your main character(s) has/have been in?

• Like 1

The destruction of her entire universe.  Not sure if it can get more dangerous than that.  The only way she survived was because of the sheer number of people that died all at once.

• Like 2

My stories are far too violent to answer this one. 😛

I could honestly just put down 4/5ths of my scenes. hehe.

Roh

18 minutes ago, Rohierim said:

My stories are far too violent to answer this one. 😛

I could honestly just put down 4/5ths of my scenes. hehe.

Roh

Put it under a spoiler with a trigger warning (i.e. rape, murder, etc). Then you can answer 😛

I'm a little stuck like Rohierim on this one.  If my characters aren't facing down death, I feel like I'm doing something wrong on some level.

Let's see...

The New Queen

Berry gets infected with a curse that very quickly begins killing her with a high fever and draining her life essence, so that was a pretty nasty close call.  Her other big close call in this book is facing down Shah Davvyd in the final chapter when he's so smitten he's decided to turn her into one of the Sanguinari (living vampires sort of).  She ends up half blooded, so infected, but manages to avoid being fully turned thanks to the timely intervention by a throne stealing plotter and her guards/friends.

Soul Eater

In a totally different setting, my main character in this one actually dies, but because like a handful of others in the world Death refuses to claim her soul (or her soul refuses to be claimed) and she ends up losing all memories of her life when she reanimates.  Her biggest moment of danger is when she faces another of her kind who is attempting to devour what remains of her soul.  I haven't written that part yet, so I'm not sure if she "survives" the encounter or if that book will end with a MC dying in combat. 

• Like 2

For Taz it's a tie.  The first would be the chupacabra attack on the wagon train as they were en route to their destination.  The chupacabra were able to get through the barrier spell without tripping the alarms, and had Taz's intuition not woken her up with anxiety she would not have been able to warn the blacksmith on watch duty that something was wrong.  Even still they lost a good 11-12 people.

The second would have to be when she walked in on Eckbert, the boy steadily working his way up to being a serial killer, trying to hide his "trophy" collection of animal parts.  He terrorized her into silence and could have killed her because she was alone.

• Like 1

For the one I am writing now, she is taken hostage by the local mafia.

He is a sailor, he had been through a shipwreck and through being saved by a smugglers crew...

• Like 2

Unwritten yet, but I have a scene planned where my heist group is in the Forge God's city, which is at the bottom of a burned out ocean, under a shield that protects the city from the steam. There has just been several revelations and betrayals, and the team is scattered, some have ran, some have been canceled. The MC, Charic, has been captured and thrown into a jail cell, and the Forge God will be coming to pass judgement on him at any moment. The Forge God will mostly likely kill him, he is filled with emotional pain and self doubt, and has had all of his thiefy tools confiscated, and no way to get out of the cell. Its the planned lowest part of the novel before things start looking up again (the person who betrayed them has second thoughts, and double crosses someone else, and goes back for her team mates instead of escaping for safety).

• Like 2

Facing death is facing death and that happens frequently enough to many of my characters. What's worse? The loss of the soul, perhaps — though strictly speaking my stories do not allow for a 'soul' as many understand the word, ones physical essence might be trapped eternally in another world, which comes to much the same thing. My Donzalo character faces that threat at least once, and it is implied that is the final fate of the sorcerer who tried to inflict it on him (to be explored in the sequel, of course).

And then there is poor Saj who faces a fate worse than death when he is threatened with marriage.

• Like 3

I... have too many characters :classic_laugh:

For the one that the last scene I've written focuses on it's being exiled from his homeland and forgotten by his entire race (or, rather, completely erased from its history). As far as his entire race is concerned, the character has never existed at all, has had no impact on any of their lives, none of his deeds have ever come to pass. If he were to meet a relative or a childhood friend, they wouldn't recognize him simply because they have never been his relative/friend. None of his previous life matters, because none of it has ever happened, and he can't undo it, because the key to the only known way to undo this lies within his homeland, which he can't access, because only beings born in that land can enter it. And since after this exile/erasure he's actually never been born there (or born, period), there's no way for him to get back. Also, since he's never been born, his entire existence is a paradox, so even though in the world he's currently in he gets to break a lot of rules, he's also slowly blinking out of existence, bit by bit, and he knows exactly when he's going to disappear completely. 

• Like 2