Penguinball

How Do You Pronounce Miasma?

How Do You Pronounce Miasma?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Pronounce Miasma?

• MAY-asma
    • MEE-asma
    • M-EYE-asma

I was playing Skyrim last night and a voice actor pronounced Miasma as 'Mee-asma' and it was super distracting, I've always said 'mEYE-asma'. How do you pronounce it?

As I said on Discord, my pronunciation wavers a fair bit, but I think I pronounce it mee-asma more often than not.

I'm actually using this word in my WIP lol. I didn't realize it was an actual thing. But I pronounce it Mye-az-muh 

• Like 1

Well, if you're interested, they say it almost constantly in the dubbed version of Inuyasha. It's pronounced "mee-as-mah," which is also the way it's pronounced in British English. However, apparently us backwards Americans pronounce it "mye-as-mah."

Except for those of us exposed to foreign TV.... >.>

For reference, you can check out pronunciations at this finely crafted link. 😄

Going by gut instinct alone, I would choose my-as-ma. Thing is, I've had a lifelong problem with mispronouncing words like those because I always try to pronounce them as they're written. When I was younger, for example, I would pronounce "chemical" starting with a "ch" sound like in "change" or "China".

It's even worse when I have to pronounce all those foreign words with accented letters, or even those with letters that don't exist in the English alphabet. Recently, I saw a German word with a letter that very much looked like a funky variation of "B", but then I found out that the letter represented a sound that was nothing at all like "B". It made me wonder why they even went to the trouble of inventing a whole new letter instead of, you know, choosing lettering that matches the sound.

(That seems to be a theme with all the Germanic languages other than English, come to think of it. Those Scandinavians sure love their crossed O's.)

I would have pronounced it Mee-as-mah - lucky strike by a none-native speaker, yay 😄

8 hours ago, Tyrannohotep said:

Recently, I saw a German word with a letter that very much looked like a funky variation of "B", but then I found out that the letter represented a sound that was nothing at all like "B". It made me wonder why they even went to the trouble of inventing a whole new letter instead of, you know, choosing lettering that matches the sound.

I can shed some light on this - it actually even makes a lot of sense when you're familiar with the old German alphabet. "ß" sounds like the "s" sound in English language (because German "s" sounds like English "z", and German "z" sounds more like "ts" - so those letters are already taken by other sounds). The "sharp" pronounciation (English "s") was written as the combination "sz" for a long time. In the old alphabet, "s" looked like "f" missing the horizontal stroke, and "z" looked a bit like "3", so "ß" is really just those two letters merged into one. It is even named exactly that - when spelling a word, "ß" is literally named "s-z".

• Thanks 1