Penguinball

Question of A Day #53: Crowning Moment of Awesome

Today's question centers around Crowning Moments of Awesome  (Warning, TVTropes Link). Also known as a Stand Up and Cheer moment, this is when your character does something really awesome. Maybe they've overcome a dark moment and rallied against the enemy, or maybe they've just done something super cool. This is a moment where the reader wants to jump off the couch and shout with excitement.

The Task: Tell us about a CMoA from one of your own works, or alternatively, pick one from a favourite piece of media. What makes the moment Awesome? What advice would you give to someone who wants to include some of these moments in their own work?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hmm. I'm not sure whether or not I have one at the moment. XD I suppose unless it's something really obvious, it's harder to look at your own writing and decide what qualifies as this kind of moment. I would say...maybe with Ivar, either when he realizes who he really is and decides to gather allies to reclaim his throne or when he "bonds" with the dragon guardian that was assigned to his court.

In terms of media, I know that you hated this book @Penguinball but there's a moment in Graceling where I remember being like HELL YES!

Spoiler

The moment when Katsa stands up to her uncle and is like "yo, I'm not going to let you use me as your murder machine any more, I'm doing my own thing from now on," or something along those lines.

I don't remember a lot about that specific scene but I just remember really loving that moment and really standing behind her when she did that.

• Like 1

I love these moments and I always try to put them in. In my current story it's when my MC uses some really effective knot-magic and pulls in a 400-year old ghost ship into present day, complete with an awesome treasure. Oh, the Force was in you all along, Luke! 😄 It solves so many things in the story, and it's the big beginning to several smaller moments of awesome. But that's the crowning moment for her both externally (the village & her house is saved, she really is a witch) and internally as she gains insight to the loss of her mother. 

Tips: The laying of proper groundwork for greatest satisfaction. Like, something they've tried and failed at, something that caused them misery and worry, something that they are so close to failing at again (with high stakes behind it) at a really crucial moment, and then the pieces just click into place. If it just comes out of nowhere, it's not as effective. Ideally for me, it should be something the reader has been waiting for/wished for to happen in some way. The moment doesn't have to be at the climax of the story either, it can definitely come before that, like when the character changes and decide to take charge as it leads up to the climax, or they find that piece of the puzzle that will solve their tricky problem and they can move forward, or someone previously inactive finally acts (like trained human weapon River Tam, who's been afraid of hurting her friends when triggered into violence, finally uses her kick-ass skills to help the team in Serenity).

One of those movies where I really got stand-up-and-cheer chills are the court-room scenes in "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest"(Millennium Trilogy-movie), when the conspiracy and malpractise against Lisbeth Salander (that we've seen all through the trilogy) is revealed for everyone and the right people are finally arrested/punished. AWESOME!

• Like 1

@Pinchofmagic oh yesss that was one of my favourites too!

One I must mention is the ending of The Shawshank Redemption where it's revealed how Andy

Spoiler

escaped prison and finally gets his revenge on the Warden, after years of planning.

Every time that movie's on TV I can't help but watch it to the end because it's so good! An additional one is the moment in Double Jeopardy where Libby faces off against her husband. A less serious one is the climax of Little Miss Sunshine where the family hijack the beauty pageant. Because to hell with beauty pageants!

So I think it helps in these moments to be earned with hard work, and for your character to be the underdog. (Or maybe I just like stories with themes of injustice and revenge, lol.) I can't think of any in my own work right now but I'll try my best to include one.

• Nice! 1

I've got a couple planned in my novel. Not written yet so it only half counts but...

So Charic is a thief because his father is a thief. His father (and his rouge 'uncles') always told him stories of their exploits, their adventures. Charic has always looked up to them, and wanted to emulate his father. His father's got an ego though, and everything Charic does is never good enough to impress him. That's why Charic signs up for this super dangerous heist to steal from a GOD, not even his father would risk that. The crowning moment of awesome is when Charic does all these awesome things in preparation for the heist, and grows as a person, and realizes that A) He doesn't HAVE to impress his father, he has already impressed himself, and B) when he confronts his father, he realizes the man is actually a bit of loser, and probably exaggerated the stories.

As far as writing a good CMoA, I heard advice (from Writing excuses, surprise), that they have even more of an impact when you are lining up a couple things, like the conclusion of a plot point with character growth, it really makes for BAM moments.

• Like 1

I really couldn't say what those moments in my stories would be.  JKM sums it up nicely:

19 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Hmm. I'm not sure whether or not I have one at the moment. XD I suppose unless it's something really obvious, it's harder to look at your own writing and decide what qualifies as this kind of moment.

I won't know it's a moment of awesomeness unless someone that isn't in my head thinks so too.  I know that I shouldn't pin so much on other people, but for it to be a defining moment, there has to be some sort of consensus, and a consensus of one isn't much to go by.