Okay, to start up the discussions, I'd like to know what  people think about coffins in vampire fiction.  Do you like them?  Not like them?  Does it vary from piece to piece?  Have you ever used them in your own work?  Do you ever plan to?

I like reading about them in other works, but don't include them in my (not yet written) stories. Its an interesting way to add a complication for the vampire, having to travel with a coffin, or how Dracula traveled with consecrated dirt. But for me I focus more on the issue of just avoiding sunlight, not a mysterious tie to the coffins themselves.

Plus, not every culture uses coffins. What happens when someone from another culture is bitten? Do they suddenly grow an attachment to a wooden box?

3 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

I like reading about them in other works, but don't include them in my (not yet written) stories. Its an interesting way to add a complication for the vampire, having to travel with a coffin, or how Dracula traveled with consecrated dirt. But for me I focus more on the issue of just avoiding sunlight, not a mysterious tie to the coffins themselves.

Plus, not every culture uses coffins. What happens when someone from another culture is bitten? Do they suddenly grow an attachment to a wooden box?

Well, in most of my early, earth-based stories the coffin was fairly predominant in the stories.  But in my later works they are either non-existent, or they're used for practical reasons as a temporary hiding place rather than a daily necessity.

Still, the vampire rising from its coffin is one of the staples of the movie genre in specific, so it's something that people often associate with them.

But, I find, it also varies on whether or not a body is usually buried and then rises from the grave or not.  Some stories have vampires turning more rapidly, or they don't leave their creator's side long enough to be buried.  In more classical stories the victim often wasted away, died, was buried, and rose from the grave.

Its really interesting to see how the myths have changed and evolved. I like the older images of the person being really for sure dead, only to mysteriously come back. So often these days its more of a virus or blood exchange thing. And the older myths of the counting obsession, or difficulty with crosses and silver. A lot of modern (romance) vampires are really just sexy blood demons. Which, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy! I just find the shift so interesting.

Where was I going with this? Umm...

I like the idea of a coffin and the significance it plays in reminding people these are creatures of death. Having said that I think its a bit cliched now and is rightly being phased out. Modern vampires now are seeing more intergration with humans and rather than sleeping in a coffin they just have basements, heavily shaded rooms that kind of thing.

5 hours ago, taintedhero said:

I like the idea of a coffin and the significance it plays in reminding people these are creatures of death. Having said that I think its a bit cliched now and is rightly being phased out. Modern vampires now are seeing more intergration with humans and rather than sleeping in a coffin they just have basements, heavily shaded rooms that kind of thing.

A lot of my stories aren't set in the modern world, so I can go either way with them.  They aren't super common in my stories, but I would hate to see the trope fade entirely.  A few sprinkled here and there to keep it alive would be optimal. 😄

Would anyone else in the club be interested in a writing challenge? Maybe we write a short piece (doesn't have to be a complete story, just a scene even) of a more traditional vampire? And we would have to include at least one of the classic tropes.

• Like 1

Just now, Penguinball said:

Would anyone else in the club be interested in a writing challenge? Maybe we write a short piece (doesn't have to be a complete story, just a scene even) of a more traditional vampire? And we would have to include at least one of the classic tropes.

Why not start that as a new topic so it's more on point?  Because we'd also have to discuss how traditional we need it to be, piece length, etc.