Skya

Re-Learning the Ropes

Basics:
Penname: Skya
State/country: United States

Writing:
How long have you been writing?

I used to write a lot when I was younger - early teens, from what I can recall - before giving up and moving on to other things. Short stories, scene scribbles, even poetry. It wasn't until recently that I decided to rekindle my old passion. So, yeah, I haven't been writing for long. A good three years is all I can claim as experience, lol.

What was the first story you wrote that you remember? (Is it finished, and has anyone read it?)

During my early years, I joined an old writing site and published my short stories. Which weren't many, thankfully. Anyway, the only one I can remember is the one where a knight fights a giant undead centipede. A lot of other writers on the site liked it, but considering my other stories were trash-fire, it wasn't surprising.

Tell us a little about your favorite character to write about.

I don't have one yet.

Tell us a little about a fantasy world you've created.

Don't have that, either.

Tell us a little about your current work in progress. How's it going?

It's a short story. So far, I'm finishing up the outline and hope to start writing it soon. Let's see if my three years of experience can offer anything.

Have you participated in NaNoWriMo? If so, how has your experience been?

I signed-up for it, but dropped out. I'll stick to short stories. For now, anyway.

Worldsmyths:
How did you find out about Worldsmyths?

Just looked up fantasy writing sites. Some other sites were too old for my taste and others generally focused on the craft - which is fine - but I definitely needed something that was a nice mix with fantasy being the main focus.

What made you decide to join?

I just started writing and I don't feel like sharing with people I know in real-life. So why not with internet strangers?

What do you hope to gain from Worldsmyths? (Examples: Find a beta reader, get feedback, motivation, a sense of community, fine-tuning the craft, etc)

Definitely a sense of community. Writing is a lonely hobby, so it helps to have a community to fall back on. While the site is relatively new, from I see through browsing, I do hope to learn a lot from you all. I'll be seeing you all around!

Welcome @Skya! Glad you found us! I'm focusing on short stories right now too. I've done novels in the past during NaNo, but I want to start submitting short stories and getting my name up there. Are you comfortable telling us more about the story you are working on?

And a point of clarification, Worldsmyths just had its 3 year anniversary so we aren't THAT new. When we moved to new forum software we archived a bunch of stuff, but its still there, gathering dust 🙂

1 minute ago, Penguinball said:

Welcome @Skya! Glad you found us! I'm focusing on short stories right now too. I've done novels in the past during NaNo, but I want to start submitting short stories and getting my name up there. Are you comfortable telling us more about the story you are working on?

Thanks for the welcome, @Penguinball ! I agree that short stories are good way to build not only your skills, but also your name. I wish you good luck on your writing and publishing adventures 🙂 I'm still working on my short story, getting the details down and what-not, so all I can say is the story is about a woman who inadvertently causes the demise of her people.

5 minutes ago, Penguinball said:

And a point of clarification, Worldsmyths just had its 3 year anniversary so we aren't THAT new. When we moved to new forum software we archived a bunch of stuff, but its still there, gathering dust 🙂

Oh! Three years? Pretty elderly in terms of internet age lol. I'll definitely take a look at the archives for a peak into the past. Anyway, thanks again for the welcome 😄 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, @Skya! As @Penguinball said, the forum has been around for three years as of June 1st! We've had a lot of fun discussions over the years, a lot of which have been moved into the archive. We don't have a necroposting rule, so if you see one that really sparks your interest you're welcome to revive it by starting a new post about it, since there's always a chance that old topics can bring in new perspectives and all that.

We currently have a June writing challenge going, and also have a word count challenge going that is basically like our own version of NaNoWriMo. The next round of sign ups for July will be at the end of June, if you're interested. You can use almost whatever words you write during whatever month it is (so July) - i.e. your notes, an outline, or the actual story itself) as long as it's written during that month. If you're interested, here is the blurb write up with all of the important information.

Anyway, let us know if you have any questions, and feel free to join us in Discord!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.