Sam

How are everyone's projects doing? :)

Hope it's okay to make this topic. :) I noticed the club's activity has sort of declined a bit, and I got curious: how is everyone doing with the projects they've started/continued in June? Are you planning to continue the same projects for July Camp (if you're planning to participate in it), or are you taking a break?

I'm personally taking a break to focus on a just-for-fun project on July as a palate cleanser. But I've made some very good progress on what has been my main project all June. The goal to start publishing it as a web serial before November actually looks possible now. The first arc pretty much only needs a final round of edits for me to feel brave enough to start showing it to more than beta readers. But I still want to accumulate a sizeable backlog of chapters before I start posting it, just in case.

• Like 1

I actually finished my novel almost a week ago. I've been doing a few short stories to keep me writing and I'm not sure when in July I'll switch to my next novel. Trying to plan on writing and editing at the same time so I'm in the middle of making a plan to balance the two so it will be either short stories or my new novel in July. Possibly both. Plus I have all the publishing pieces to put together for the new novel in July as well. It will be a busy month.

Roh

• Like 1
  • Nice! 1

5 hours ago, Sam said:

Hope it's okay to make this topic. 🙂

Absolutely! You're free to make pretty much whatever topics you want (unless they're controversial. If they're potentially controversial, ask us first before posting it and we'll at least keep an eye on the topic XD) anywhere on the forum.

Anyway, um...I'm in the editing phase of Court of Shadows right now. I have some alpha reader feedback, and I've printed out what I have of it with the feedback and have gone through and made notes. I'm still waiting for more alpha reader feedback, so I guess my next thing will be seeing what I can do to come up with some kind of an outline for the next draft...figuring out which chapters I'm keeping, which ones I'm cutting, which ones need to be added onto, adding in new scenes/chapters...I'll most likely be trying to edit up the first few chapters, at least, and getting them up in the library.

Eventually I'll start figuring out what I'm going to do for NaNo in November. Usually I start by the end of August/early September. It's largely going to depend on where I am with Court of Shadows...but I might consider writing the prequel to Court of Shadows for NaNo. We'll see, though.

• Like 2

I've been taking a break from writing for exams, but now that those are over I'm easing myself back in with a bunch of short stories and plotting other things. I'm hoping to get started on my bigger projects next month.

• Like 2

I finally started making good headway around the middle of the month on my main project.  I've got the first five chapters done.  I also worked on a scene that I was going to submit for June's writing challenge, but didn't get it done in time.  It's a scene that takes place near the end of the book and I'm pretty happy with it.  It's given me a solid point to write towards, so I may take another day and work on the scenes leading up to it to get the monster reveal and get clues seeded in.

I also took a couple breaks to work on something new.  It's a skewed kind of fairy tale that will be broken up into short reads when I get them finished.  The premise is a witch whose job is to help people find their path realizes that not everyone fits into their tale (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc.,), and not every fairy tale is suited for that particular person.  The first story centers on a Cinderella, only she's already in her mid-twenties, had an evil step-father, was the lone survivor of a wildfire that wiped out the estate and evil step-family, and the princes in the surrounding kingdoms are too young.  So the witch creates a new path, one that leads to a strange valley full of lemon trees where these people have the opportunity to create their own stories and endings.

• Like 1

Finished the first draft of "The Second Shuttle Boat". Now revising my debut novel for a second edition.