Convictedweirdo

Let's get weird...

Well, not too weird. Let's dabble with just enough weirdness to not get strange looks on a bus, but just weird enough to strange looks everywhere else.

CRAP ABOUT ME:

Anywho, I don't really have a pen-name yet, so it's just convictedweirdo for now. It's an embarrassing legacy name from a hotmail email created almost two decades ago, but who's counting? Oh god not me, or am I?

I'm from Australia, and most of the things you hear about there are true. I've been an avid writer since I was eleven, when Jurassic Park from Michael Creighton got me interested in reading. I never read fantasy because I (wrongly) thought it was lame and stupid until someone gave me a copy of Magician by Raymond E Feist and begged me to read. It was a major turning point in my life, and I've loved everything fantasy related ever since. 

My first stories, written on the noisiest electric typewriter in existence, were about mutated dinosaurs/dragon hybrids and magical rifts into other worlds.

Ever since, I've loved writing, and still hope to this day that I can someday actually complete something.

CRAP I LIKE:

My main source of inspiration from fiction is probably the Malazan Book of the Fallen, but I also love the Riftwar Saga, Kingkiller Chronicles, and sci-fi works by Arthur C Clarke and Peter Hamilton. Steven King is also a guilty pleasure.

TV inspirations would probably be shows like Stargate SG1 (huge Stargate nerd), Game of Thrones (except the last two seasons when they enabled cheat mode), and Altered Carbon.

Music to get me going varies wildly. On the lighter end of the spectrum is artists like Elliott Smith and Live, and on the heavier end, it's various types of rock/metal like Opeth, Parkway Drive, Rishloo, Amon Amarth and Tool.

CRAP I DO:

My day job has me moving forklifts around, but I spend most of my time writing, world-building, and dabbling in game development.

CRAP I'M WRITING:

I'm working on a set of fantasy novellas all set in the same universe around different character groups that follow a similar themes. It's... a work in progress 🙂 I'm aiming for a dark and gritty fantasy, where magic has cultivated a sort of technological revolution. There is a sci-fi element to it, but it is very light compared to the fantasy element. 

WHY THE CRAP I CAME HERE:

I love writing, but I also love talking about the craft and helping people with their own projects. In my life, I don't know anyone who shares an interest in writing, so I'm hoping that finding like-minded people online can help me keep motivated to reach my goals, and maybe in turn I can help others reach theirs.

On that note, ahoy, G'day, and Jaffa! Kree

-convictedweirdo-

9 hours ago, Convictedweirdo said:

Anywho, I don't really have a pen-name yet, so it's just convictedweirdo for now. It's an embarrassing legacy name from a hotmail email created almost two decades ago, but who's counting?

I've still got my hotmail accounts, Microsoft can pry them from my cold, dead hands. I didn't use the handle very often but DarkNeptune is legit!

9 hours ago, Convictedweirdo said:

Stargate SG1 (huge Stargate nerd)

Yusssss another fan! I'm slooooowly working my way through a rewatch. I bought a subscription to Stargate Command so I can watch eeeeverything. There's bits of the first series that didn't age well, but I love it anyway.

Anyway, welcome!

I'm suuuuuper late replying to this (yay for life getting in the way), but welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have any questions about anything!

On 7/29/2019 at 9:36 PM, Convictedweirdo said:

I've been an avid writer since I was eleven, when Jurassic Park from Michael Creighton got me interested in reading.

I'd say that's a good book to get you started on your reading journey. I admit that I'm biased more towards the movie since that's what I grew up on, but I do like how the book is able to explore the setting and certain concepts in greater depth than the film could fit into its running length.

Australia, eh? My ex-husband was from there. Australia is still on my bucket list of places to visit, and possibly move to permanently.

Don't worry about the name, you aren't alone. My brother still has his, hilariously enough. He goes by socksthedeadhobo, so it definitely could be worse. Besides, my handle has everyone here beat for how ancient it is--it comes from the dawn of the internet when all that existed were *gasp* BBSs and MUDs.

Welcome to the forum! Be sure to also check out Discord, as people hang around there all hours of the day and night, too. Sometimes it's more active than here. 🙂

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.