Jedi Knight Muse

August Check-In Thread

Welcome to the August check-in thread for the Worldsmyths Community Writing Challenge 2019!

Checking in to update your word count
You can either tell us the number of words you wrote since your last check-in (words to add), or keep track of your total and post your updated total word count (new total) - simply choose the option that is more convenient for you. You don't have to do any calculating, our spreadsheet will do that for you.

Simply copy and paste this form - you only have to provide one of the numbers, you can ignore the other one. I am adding a third part to this form, which anyone who did NOT participate in July can ignore. This third part is for your previous total - so, if you ended up reaching 15k in July, you would provide the exact numbers for what your final total was. If you did not participate in July (meaning you either didn't sign up in time or you just didn't check in), your number will be set to 0 in the spreadsheet until you update with your word count for July. I hope this makes sense, but if you're still confused please make sure to reply to this post with any questions.)

Remember, if this is the first time you're participating in the challenge and you did not participate in July, please only count words that you are writing in May toward your word count for this - meaning, even if you wrote during July but weren't yet signed up for the challenge, you'll have to start from 0 with your actual word count for the challenge.

Note: We've added an additional spot into the form, which is "today's date," because the forum is weird with the way it shows dates (i.e. it says 23 hours ago but then I'm like "uuh, what date was it 23 hours day?") and it's just ultimately easier to have you guys say what the date is when you're updating, especially if, on our end, it looks like you've actually updated twice in one day. So for our own sanity, please, PLEASE make sure you say whatever date it is that you're updating for! Please do not edit it out/skip answering it when responding with your word count!

You can still check in with your final July word counts during the next few days. To do so, go here.

I wrote words!
Today's date:
Previous month's total:
[x] words
Words to add: [x] words
New total: [x] words

For those of you who prefer to not reset your word count each month, @Manu added the option to tell us your overall total of all challenge months to the spreadsheet.

So how does this spreadsheet thing work?

Here is this year's word count spreadsheet! You'll need to click on the August tab to see the stats and such for each person.

In order to access your individual stats, click on the "+" left of your name, and the sheet should expand and show them.

spreadsheet1.png

spreadsheet2.png

Bug reports concerning the spreadsheet can be posted here in this thread as well.

*Looks around* Is this the place?

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 1, 2019
Words to add: [1,400] words
New total: [1,400] words

“We are unsure at this time but we would like you to gather any notes that you may have and come with us.”

• Like 1

I wrote words!

New total: 7.472 words as of August 2nd. Not only am I on track for my impossible goal; I am ahead for my impossible goal! Yay me!!

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 2, 2019
Words to add: [1,409] words
New total: [2,809] words

“Mistake number one, its Missus. The ring should have been a big tip-off.”

• Like 1

I wrote words!

Today's date: August 1, 2019
Words to add: [535] words

Today's date: August 2, 2019
Words to add: [1,164] words

New total: [1,699] words

After taking a break from writing in the last 4 days of July, it's a little hard to get back on track. But I'm sure I'll manage.

• Like 1

I didn't participate in the previous months but still wrote so I'm starting off with 12196 words

Today's date: August 3, 2019

Words to add: [1939] words

New total: [14135] words

Also, copy-pasting the template doesn't work on my phone btw.

I wrote words!
Words to add: [1,506] words
New total: [4,315] words

Second man commented. “Put your weapon away. Hippies are all about peace and love”

“Mistake number two.”

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 4, 2019
Words to add: [1,631] words
New total: [5,946] words

“What the ****?” Guy stared at the sword protruding from his companion’s chest. “You definitely ain’t no Beatrix,” he turned his head just in time to intersect the paperweight with his face.

• Like 1

I wrote words!

New total: 18.095 words as of August 4th

• Like 1

I wrote words!

Today's date: August 3, 2019
Words to add: [2,721] words

Today's date: August 4, 2019
Words to add: [2,058] words

New total: [6,478] words

Now things are looking up :D

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 5, 2019
Words to add: [880] words
New total: [7,358] words

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:12 PM, AlexanderN said:

I didn't participate in the previous months but still wrote so I'm starting off with 12196 words

Words to add: [1939] words

New total: [14135] words

Also, copy-pasting the template doesn't work on my phone btw.

Since you didn't participate in the challenge for the last six months (due to not having been a member XD), you actually would only start at 0 for the purposes of this challenge - meaning, you wouldn't include the words that you wrote before August started, you'd only count the words you wrote starting in August. I hope that makes sense! If you don't know what your word count was when you checked in with this reply, that's okay. But from now on, you'll need to only give us the amount of words you've written in August - i.e. if you write 5,000 words one day and another 1,5000 the next day, you'd only give the total for those words since they were written in August. I hope that makes sense!

I'm not sure how/if there's a way to fix copy-pasting the template from your phone 😐

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 5, 2019
Words to add: [1,507] words
New total: [7,453] words

“She ends with, ‘ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj!’, ‘May your enemies run from you in fear’.”

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 7, 2019
Words to add: [6280] words
New total: [13,638] words

I have no idea what's happening, but hey, whatever this sorcery is, it sure makes up for complete lack of writing on the day before.

• Like 1

As a reminder, please remember to keep and fill in the part in the form that asks for the date that you're checking in for, due to the way the forum does dates on posts. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Sam said:

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 7, 2019
Words to add: [6280] words
New total: [12,638] words

I have no idea what's happening, but hey, whatever this sorcery is, it sure makes up for complete lack of writing on the day before.

Hm...so, the Excel sheet says you're actually at 13,638, and then I added up the totals you've given and I got 13,638. XD So somewhere there's 1,000 words missing.

I wrote words!

New total: 27.862 as of August 7th

• Like 1

I wrote words! (and my computer crapped out)
Today's date: August 6, 2019
Words to add: [719] words
New total: [8,172] words 

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 7, 2019
Words to add: [1,375] words
New total: [9,547] words 

“Here, this notebook contains the numbers, protocols, and other information. Take a look at this printout then destroy it.”

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 8, 2019
Words to add: [2,792] words
New total: [16,430] words

On 8/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Hm...so, the Excel sheet says you're actually at 13,638, and then I added up the totals you've given and I got 13,638. XD So somewhere there's 1,000 words missing.

You're right! I made a typo in the "New total" part when I made the post, but I remember that I noticed it after posting, rechecked the numbers just in case and edited the post to include the right total (13,638) after a few minutes. Perhaps you saw the post before I edited it?

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 8, 2019
Words to add: [1,093] words
New total: [10,640] words 

If her life were her own, she would give it so that the others would have a little more time, time to correct the mistakes before they were made. They could see into the future, but not far enough.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, Sam said:

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 8, 2019
Words to add: [2,792] words
New total: [16,430] words

You're right! I made a typo in the "New total" part when I made the post, but I remember that I noticed it after posting, rechecked the numbers just in case and edited the post to include the right total (13,638) after a few minutes. Perhaps you saw the post before I edited it?

That's entirely possible, actually, haha. The forum says that I replied to the post at, like, the same exact time that you gave your word count, so it's totally possible. XD

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 9, 2019
Words to add: [2,012] words
New total: [18,442] words

• Like 1