Jedi Knight Muse

August Check-In Thread

I wrote words!

Today's date: August 27, 2019
Words to add: [596] words
New total: [25,514] words

“Too little, too late. We have a War effort to deal with. Tomorrow she’ll just be another anonymous number out back,” Deep Voice replied.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DaVinci said:

I wrote words!

Today's date: August 27, 2019
Words to add: [596] words
New total: [25,514] words

“Too little, too late. We have a War effort to deal with. Tomorrow she’ll just be another anonymous number out back,” Deep Voice replied.

Hm. So, I input the number that you sent to me in PM, and put the rest of your updates, and the excel sheet says 22,514, but your update says that you're at 25,514 words. I had Penguin double check, and we think that there's a typo somewhere on your end?

I edited words!
Today's date: August 28th
Words to add: [8,250] words
New total: [19,474] words

Alas, August is coming to a close, and I have spent most of it either promoting or exploring other people's work on various platforms. While book 2 has been quite neglected, this month I learned that there is more to writing than putting words in a document and uploading it to the internet. This has been a month for growing as a writer, and dipping my toes in various communities to explore sharing. Thanks for letting me participate and I look forward to participating in September with another 25k! 

While I did not get 25k words into a document, I do feel that I did 30k worth of "work" this month if hours of editing, networking, sharing, learning, and communicating count! 

8 hours ago, dahj_the_bison said:

Alas, August is coming to a close, and I have spent most of it either promoting or exploring other people's work on various platforms. While book 2 has been quite neglected, this month I learned that there is more to writing than putting words in a document and uploading it to the internet. This has been a month for growing as a writer, and dipping my toes in various communities to explore sharing. Thanks for letting me participate and I look forward to participating in September with another 25k! 

While I did not get 25k words into a document, I do feel that I did 30k worth of "work" this month if hours of editing, networking, sharing, learning, and communicating count! 

Hi Dahj

Just so you know, we're not continuing the challenge into September. The six month challenge started in March and ends on August 31st, until next year when we do it again. We have a lot of people participating in NaNoWriMo in November, though, which is what our challenge is loosely based on.

Also, networking, sharing etc do not count towards the word count of the challenge. The only one of those things that you listed that counts would be editing, but we need some kind of an actual number, rather than an estimate, to input into the excel sheet. The rule that we've been following is that for every hour of editing you do, you get 1,000 words.

I wrote words!

Today's date: August 28, 2019
Words to add: [611] words
New total: [23,125] words (verified)

“You’re from the Asylum? What’s it like to work there?”

“Insane.”

I wrote words & edited words!

Today's date: August 29, 2019
Words written: [1,111] words
Editing: [1.32] hours x 1000 words / hour = [1,315] words
Combined: [2,426] words

New total: [25,551] words

I wrote and edited words!
Today's date: August 30th
Words to add: [979] words
1 hour of editing=1,000 words
New total: [21,453] words

I wrote words & edited words!

Today's date: August 30, 2019
Words written: [1,076] words
Editing: [0.87] hours x 1000 words / hour = [870] words
Combined: [1,946] words

New total: [27,497] words

“One Sherman, just let me know where you want that delivered. I could get you that easier than nylons.”

• Like 1

I wrote words!
Today's date: August 31, 2019
Words to add: 7165 words
New total: 7165 words

• Like 1

I wrote words!

New total: 66.504 words as of August 31st. The last total of this month and the challenge

• Like 1

I wrote words!

Today's date: August 31, 2019
Words to add: [636] words
New total: [28,133] words

I did not reach goal but considering I exceeded last month's goal by 20k, I'll call it even. Grand total 231,251 words since March 1st (not including editing time). Oooph.

“Just keep me upright until we get to the coffee.”

• Like 1

This is your absolute LAST chance to get your final word counts in for August! I have to work until 3:45 EST today so I'll be closing the post some time after that.

@lorneytunes, @Sam, @TwistedRiver

I'll be working on getting the final word counts calculated and info about the prizes gathered together and all that in the next week or so. I'll be posting it here on the forum and the info will also be given in the newsletter, so be on the lookout for it. If you don't usually get the newsletter, check your spam folders!