katfireblade

NaNo website to update resulting in data loss

I am assuming most of the forum knows this since so many people did Camp NaNo this year. However, for those of you who, like me, might have skipped a season, there's news you may need to know about your profile.

Starting in mid-August 2019, nanowrimo.org and campnanowrimo.org will redirect to the redesigned version of the website at nanowrimo.orgThe redesign is still underway, so be sure to check back in September for the full launch! If you need anything from the current version of the websites, you'll be able to visit archive.nanowrimo.org, or archive.campnanowrimo.org. These archives will remain up indefinitely.

We are preserving your important information on the redesigned site! Your username, bio, other profile details, and writing project history will transfer over seamlessly.If you have a profile at nanowrimo.org and campnanowrimo.org, we will default to your nanowrimo.org profile information in the merge. So, if you have different bios, profile pictures, or other details on each site, make sure the one you prefer is on nanowrimo.org.

We won't be saving Camper Messages, buddy relationships on either site, or NaNoMail. If you have messages you would like to save, or buddies you don't want to lose track of, you can take screenshots, or copy and paste information now, or later from the archived sites!

Just a heads up. This change hasn't happened yet that I can tell, but it should soon. Save your pep talks and useful emails and take note of buddy names as everything should be changing very soon.

• Thanks 2

Well this is annoying XD I just had to go through TWENTY-SEVEN pages of buddies to find the people I know I care about making sure I add on the new site. I have 0 idea who a lot of people are because they either randomly added me or we barely ever interacted or they're people I don't interact with any more. There's people I know will never come back to the NaNo site so I'm not bothering with them. I don't care about the pep talks, but the buddies...-_- 27 pages. Oy.

Thanks for the heads up, @katfireblade. We'll wait to do the NaNo buddies post until they've done the transfer.

From what I understand, since the site in its current form is going to be available as archive, there's pretty much no deadline when it comes to things like the buddy list. After the move, it should be possible to just open the archive version in a separate window and refer to it while sorting/adding buddies, etc.

...At least I HOPE that's how it's supposed to work. :classic_laugh:

11 hours ago, katfireblade said:

If all goes well. I always hedge my bets on that, having had the worst happen on other sites before.

Well, the current NaNoWriMo site has been pretty stable for me all these long, long years, so I'm trying to be optimistic and to place my trust with the team. 

That said, the key word is 'trying,' because frankly I don't really like what I've seen of the new site, I'm finding it hard to not hate the new forums. But well, maybe that's just me not dealing well with change or being old-fashioned or whatever. At any rate, I still hope they manage to make this transition smooth and keep all the archived data for reference like they seem to have promised to.

Considering how LONG they were using the old forum software for (read: as long as I've been participating, I think, which I think I started doing it in 2007 or something), I am more than happy with the fact that they're FINALLY upgrading it. I'm already used to the software that they're using 'cause they use the same software (I think) on Wattpad, and while I don't submit my actual writing to Wattpad itself, the forum there is helpful for finding discussion topics to respond to/lurk on, so I've gotten used to the software from that. It's really not that bad, but I also understand people not liking change. From what it seems like, it sounds like we'll finally get a lot of features that we've been asking for for a long time, like topic reply notifications (I think). This software update is waaaay overdue. I hope they're able to make everything smooth, too, though, and are able to archive everything. I would really love to be able to access the stuff from the last several years again, too, from the forum.

3 hours ago, Sam said:

That said, the key word is 'trying,' because frankly I don't really like what I've seen of the new site,

I haven't even seen the new site. I haven't gotten the redirect message yet. Is there a new URL?

Just now, katfireblade said:

I haven't even seen the new site. I haven't gotten the redirect message yet. Is there a new URL?

The one I know of for the forums is https://forums.nanowrimo.org and the one I know of for the main part of the site is https://preview.nanowrimo.org but the preview site is currently down, so right now just the forums are working. I'm not sure whether or not we're "officially" supposed to be using it yet (though I suppose they wouldn't have given us access to it yet if we weren't) so I haven't made any posts or anything on it yet. I'll probably wait until after they've officially migrated things over or whatever and let us know it's okay to use (so pretty much September/October).

I'm not crazy about how the new forum looks, I hope that isn't the final product. Its very white and the minimal definition between sections makes it all blur together for me.

Just now, katfireblade said:

Wow, that is *ugly.* I hope they update the look, too.

They give an option to change the theme of the site based on the preferences that you choose - I have it set to the default, but if you click on the thing in the top right hand corner with the lines, it's a drop down menu and down below are the different themes that you can choose from.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.36.08 PM.png

11 hours ago, Jedi Knight Muse said:

Considering how LONG they were using the old forum software for (read: as long as I've been participating, I think, which I think I started doing it in 2007 or something), I am more than happy with the fact that they're FINALLY upgrading it. I'm already used to the software that they're using 'cause they use the same software (I think) on Wattpad, and while I don't submit my actual writing to Wattpad itself, the forum there is helpful for finding discussion topics to respond to/lurk on, so I've gotten used to the software from that. It's really not that bad, but I also understand people not liking change. From what it seems like, it sounds like we'll finally get a lot of features that we've been asking for for a long time, like topic reply notifications (I think). This software update is waaaay overdue. I hope they're able to make everything smooth, too, though, and are able to archive everything. I would really love to be able to access the stuff from the last several years again, too, from the forum.

I 100% agree about your points about the upgrade of software being necessary at this point. I guess I'm just bitter they picked the one forum software option I like the least out of all I've seen. :classic_rolleyes: I know Wattpad uses it, and that's precisely the reason why I only occasionally lurk there despite often seeing interesting discussions I would have liked to participate in in a more convenient environment. Also, my crappy old laptop hates that forum engine for some reason. I do like it that we're now going to get things like tagging users, being able to like posts, choosing forum themes, etc. But all these things are available here on Worldsmyths, too, right? We even get cool reactions instead of just likes, and I love the beautiful theme backgrounds, and there all those features not related directly to the forums... and still this forum has a certain old school feel to it. I see it, and I think, "Yup, that's a forum. Like all the forums I've ever been a part of since I started regularly using the internet in the early-ish 2000s, only now with convenient new features that make the user experience a lot more enjoyable." The Wattpad / new NaNoWriMo forum software (Discourse, I think? Is that what it's called?) just doesn't give me the same feel. But I do understand that's my personal thing and I'm probably in a very, very small minority :classic_laugh: 

15 minutes ago, Sam said:

I 100% agree about your points about the upgrade of software being necessary at this point. I guess I'm just bitter they picked the one forum software option I like the least out of all I've seen. :classic_rolleyes: I know Wattpad uses it, and that's precisely the reason why I only occasionally lurk there despite often seeing interesting discussions I would have liked to participate in in a more convenient environment. Also, my crappy old laptop hates that forum engine for some reason. I do like it that we're now going to get things like tagging users, being able to like posts, choosing forum themes, etc. But all these things are available here on Worldsmyths, too, right? We even get cool reactions instead of just likes, and I love the beautiful theme backgrounds, and there all those features not related directly to the forums... and still this forum has a certain old school feel to it. I see it, and I think, "Yup, that's a forum. Like all the forums I've ever been a part of since I started regularly using the internet in the early-ish 2000s, only now with convenient new features that make the user experience a lot more enjoyable." The Wattpad / new NaNoWriMo forum software (Discourse, I think? Is that what it's called?) just doesn't give me the same feel. But I do understand that's my personal thing and I'm probably in a very, very small minority :classic_laugh: 

Lol, trust me, there's faaaar worse software out there. XD We only moved onto this current one last November. Up until then we were on SMF, and it was...bad XD. This is way more customizable, even if it's not altogether cheap (it's explained a bit more here on our donations page thingy, but hosting+domain+renewal of the software every however many months+renewal of the extensions that we've added on (because some of the most simple features that you typically get for free on other software actually costs money, 'cause people develop them and put them up in the IPB marketplace. There ARE free extensions, but a lot of the ones that are actually useful are not free) adds up). I wouldn't trade it and go back to the old software for aaaanything, though. I'm really glad we decided to upgrade.

And yes, all of those things are available here on Worldsmyths! XD ❤️

And yes, the software they're using is called Discourse. I googled for it earlier, it's like $100/month, so ours is nothing compared to that XD but they also have a waaaaaaay bigger (active) user base than we do.

Haha, well if it makes you feel any better, I don't hate the software but they reaaally need to give better theme options than the ones they currently have. Some of them are downright ugly. XD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katfireblade said:

Final update of the website seems to be complete. The new site is a go, so it's safe to find buddies and such. 🙂

Ooh yay! I'll make a post later for NaNo profiles so people can add each other XD.

It looks like the forum is live, but the main site is still being worked on? I can login finally though. But most of my projects are missing. Maybe they will come back, but there's the archive site at least, so I can add them back manually if I need to. I'll give it a bit of time though.

Yeah, mine is saying that I've only participated once, too. And mine is a pain in the butt because it's not my original account, I had one from when I first started doing NaNo back in like...2006 or 2007? and they couldn't merge profiles until some time within the last few years (I THINK. I think they can finally do that, but don't quote me on that). But I just went to that profile and it doesn't even show my stats or anything any more...all it says is that I've been a member for almost 13 years, so 2006. But nothing about my past projects or their word counts or anything (not that it really matters since I never won and I never got that far with my word counts, but it still kinda sucks). 😐 And I just tried to go to that same profile on the preview site and it basically doesn't even exist on there, soooo. I dunno if that's on purpose or what.

On 8/27/2019 at 6:18 PM, Jedi Knight Muse said:

And I just tried to go to that same profile on the preview site and it basically doesn't even exist on there, soooo. I dunno if that's on purpose or what.

Ask them; they've been pretty responsive to complaints. My icon changed to my previous one, and I think that was on purpose in response to me flipping out about the black and white one.

13 hours ago, katfireblade said:

Ask them; they've been pretty responsive to complaints. My icon changed to my previous one, and I think that was on purpose in response to me flipping out about the black and white one.

It's not really that big of a deal to me. Since the preview site is still in preview mode I'll probably wait until they've officially relaunched the site and then go from there.