Jedi Knight Muse

NaNoWriMo 2019 Discussion

giphy.gif

NaNoWriMo is approaching! It'll be here before we know it!

Who's planning to participate? What are you planning to write - do you know yet, or are you waiting until November 1st to decide and start writing? Are you "rebelling" and continuing a project you're already working on? Are you (strictly) a planner, a pantser, or a planner?

*Please wait until I make an official post to share links to your profiles on the NaNo site - the NaNo people are in the process of upgrading the site and apparently part of this upgrade means we'll lose buddies on the old site, so I think we're better off waiting until the official launch of the new website before we start adding each other.*

• Like 1

Right now my plan is to be a "rebel" and continue to edit/rewrite/add in new scenes/chapters to last years NaNo, which I got 25k written during NaNo last year. I'm already starting to edit it anyway (well, making notes, and THEN editing). I'm really not one of those writers who can work on multiple novel projects at once, and my fear is that if I tried to pull my attention between editing/rewriting and writing a brand new novel at the same time, I'd end up favoring writing the new novel instead of editing, and I don't want to throw my groove off.

Of course, I could end up changing my mind entirely. Right now I have super vague ideas for a prequel to last year's NaNo, but I would have to do a lot of brainstorming and then outline to be able to use it for NaNo (I'm a plantser. Usually I end up planning and have an outline but sometimes I end up kind of going off in a different direction from what I'd planned), but I haven't let myself start thinking too much about it yet. I'll probably save it for next year's first session of camp.

• Like 1

I have no idea what I'm going to do for NaNoWriMo yet. I normally jump between an unholy number of WIPs, but during the NaNo events, I do my best to focus on one WIP for the entire month, maybe with some breaks to edit some of the finished drafts I somehow have. For November, I also prefer to start something new, to keep with the original NaNoWriMo spirit. I'm 90% sure that's what I'm going to do this year, too, but there's also a chance that I'll actually choose one of my existing WIPs instead. 

What I do know is that I'm going to overachieve as much as possible this year. Since last NaNo, my writing habits have improved/changed pretty drastically thanks to joining 4TheWords, the writing rpg. I've always been a very fast writer—3-4k in a day can be a pretty comfortable range for me when I'm inspired—but I used to also be an incredibly inconsistent one. I had maybe 1-2 writing days a week, I sometimes skipped weeks, and whenever I knew I only had the time and/or the energy for like 300 words, I used to decide that in that case, there's no point in writing today at all. 4TW miraculously changed it, because now I know 300 or even 100 words mean another monster slayed, another reward gained, another step toward competing one of the quests.  Gamification, apparently, works wonders on me. I still don't write every day, but I write most days, and 50K in a month isn't a totally normal writing month, but it's also definitely not the challenge it used to be. So for once, I'm heading into November feeling pretty confident that I'm going to win, unless life interferes extra-dramatically and throws something like a broken laptop and a hospital stay into the mix. Which means it's a great opportunity to discover where my limits actually are / how many words in a month it takes me to start questioning, "Why am I doing it to myself?" and maybe need a big rest from writing in December. :classic_laugh:

I have no idea what my plans are at this point. I've got a novel outlined that I am starting to write now, so I could continue that, depending how far I get between now and Nov 1st. Or I can write more short stories. Or I could edit the short stories I already have. Or I could start an entirely new novel....honestly I have no idea. But I've got options!

Okay, I think I suddenly do have a more or less solid idea about what I'm going to do for NaNo. I'm not 100% sure about this yet, but I've been looking through my WIPs and there's one unfinished draft that pretty much needs to be forgotten and written again from scratch. It's a weird fantasy story about a continent-spanning city, fallen gods, and reincarnation, and I've initially approached it from a completely wrong angle, so I need to take the characters, the setting, tweak the premise, and try again. Preferably with less holes in worldbuilding and a consistent outline this time. The couple of months left before NaNo give me just enough time to work on all the prep without abandoning all my other active projects completely. And this seems like a nice compromise between "doing something entirely new, because it's NaNoWriMo, starting a new novel is part of the whole point" and "not adding another WIP to an already huge pile." 

No idea yet. I'd love to do NaNo, but haven't written anything for several months. Maybe I'll finally start drafting that urban fantasy project I plotted like... two years ago 😛

I stalled on my Witches of Texas sequel several times this year but I think I finally worked out what element was missing, so I will use NaNo to write that one (again).  Between now and then I'll nail down a useable outline so I have that ready.  

Given how much work I'm putting into it now, I'm probably gonna try for a first draft of Caerwen. That, or finally start the second draft of In Orbit. Hopefully I'll find time between that and getting used to life at uni.

Probably a new story for my Summer Prince urban fantasy novels.

The four eggs of a Spring Court nobledragon and his mate are stolen. It's either the black market or machinations of one of the other three courts. Or among their own.

The parents believe the eggs are on Earth, and the case lands on Special Investigations. But at least the parents can't camp out an extended time on Earth, right? Well . . .

With the two nobles' daughter working with him, Tieras is having a hard time getting rid of the horse-sized young female dragon. And she will not be left out of the search for her egg-napped siblings.

Meanwhile, as magic has continued to grow on Earth, and return, with new humans discovering lost heritage as witches or studying as sorcerers, public speculation runs wild about when the great dragons who once flew above and ruled the skies of Earth will be able to fly again.

Plotting / synopsis blurb. This sounds far more organized it is actually is. But Tieras Fae Durhanae is ready, as long as he's got his detective's badge, his Glock, and his magic sword, he can handle whatever fresh hell comes into the police department.