Penguinball

Which Project Should I Work On?

Which Project Sounds Best?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project Sounds Best?

• The Star Mirror
    • Lion King with Mermaids
    • Bring Back The Green

I've got 3 choices for NaNo, and I haven't decided which one I want to work on. So I'm here, presenting the choices to get some second opinions.

1. The Star Mirror - Thalassa's dissatisfaction with her life as an acolyte to a blood god comes to a head when a dragon is captured and slated to be sacrificed. From the dragon she learns that the blood god is disrupting the balance of the world with his actions, and that they must find the goddess of healing to set things right.

Pros: I've done the most work on this concept, and am familiar with the world
     Cons: I've been working on this novel for years (This would be the 3rd rewrite), and IDK, maybe its time to move on?

2. Lion King/Hamlet, but with MERMAIDS - I would retell The Lion King but with mermaids. MC would be tricked into abandoning their throne, would grow up far away (on land?), their love interest would come and bring them back, they would fight their devious relative for the throne, yay happy ending..

Pros: I've always wanted to write something about mermaids, and for NaNo it is a lot easier following the story beats of something else and re-imagining it.
     Cons: I've done the least work on this concept, and would need to do a lot of world building to make it feel more real.

3. Bring Back The Green (working title): Fairies have been stealing young women, supposedly as payment for a bargain that the humans have forgotten. When her sister is taken, Myrin ventures into the forest, alone and unarmed to try and save her. There, she finds that the fairies have been taking the women in order to try and break a curse on their queen, who has fallen into endless slumber. Myrin must pair up with the handsome fae prince to find a way to save both of their kingdoms.

Pros: I've written one draft already, but because I pantsed it, it ended up a meandering mess. I like the world and the concept, and know how it would end
     Cons: Would need outlining, but otherwise not a terrible amount of work.

Which story sounds more interesting/more NaNo-able to you?

2 hours ago, KaeAlexandria said:

I'd like to object on the basis that there isn't an option for "ALL THE PROJECTS!"

Maybe I should rephrase it to, what order should I do these projects in? 😛 I want to get to them all eventually, especially the blood god one, and the fairy one.

I posted this on NaNo too, and so far the votes are for The Star Mirror

I voted for the fairy one because you said you liked the world and concept, so you're excited about it, but you also know the ending and it would require less planning, which is good for Nano. The blood god one - IDK, I get the vibe that you're not as enthusiastic about it? And the mermaid one, while you seem excited by it, you said it would need more planning.

So I think the fairy one would be most feasible for nano!

Totally voting lion king with mermaids. Nano is an excellent time to have fun with new ideas you know you'll have to second draft. Plus, this just sounds amazeballs.

I am less jazzed about The Star Mirror because i totally understand writing and rewriting a story to get it right. It seems like Nano would be great for that sort of thing, but if it comes out imperfect or a hot mess again, I suspect you'll be headed for draft 4. You might want to move a little slower on that one, maybe challenge yourself *after* nano with their new website tools instead of making it an actual Nano project.

Honestly, Bring Back the Green sounds the *most* Nanoable WIP. Personally I just like the mermaid concept better. But if you were going for a minimum of setup before Nano, this is what you need.

...aaaaaand now I have The Fiddler on the Green stuck in my head.

17 hours ago, katfireblade said:

I am less jazzed about The Star Mirror because i totally understand writing and rewriting a story to get it right. It seems like Nano would be great for that sort of thing, but if it comes out imperfect or a hot mess again, I suspect you'll be headed for draft 4. You might want to move a little slower on that one, maybe challenge yourself *after* nano with their new website tools instead of making it an actual Nano project.

You phrased my worry in a way that makes sense, thank you. I've been feeling a vague niggling worry about this idea, but that puts it into words. I still like the idea, but I also don't want to fuck it up, again. We'll see what happens by Nov 1st actually hits though.

Right now my plan is to do pre work and outlining for all 3, and really leave my options open for November. There's loooots of time to decide.

I woooould have voted for The Star Mirror, 'cause I'm a sucker for blood gods and alike. But for the most nanoable, I went with Lion Hamlet Mermaids. 'Cause it sounds pretty badass, but it also gives very good guidelines for what you can make happen next or jump to if you're stuck somewhere during nano. Also, because Hamlet underwater. I'd watch that live.

• Like 1

i chose Lion Hamlet Mermaids, because i like the structure a lot