Jedi Knight Muse

Tips for NaNoWriMo: 2019 Edition

What are the biggest tips you'd like to give to other participants of NaNoWriMo?

I'm not really the best person to be giving tons of advice when it comes to NaNo, but these are some of the things that I've learned in the last year, with and without NaNo.

• Don't be afraid to skip around
    Seriously, this is something that I learned really helps me, and I'm someone who usually can't NOT write linearly. If I get to a chapter where I just don't have a good grasp on how I want it to go, I'll skip to the next one where I DO know how I want it to go.
  • Don't be afraid to write in filler names/words/whatever
    Words are words no matter what they are during NaNo. Don't be afraid to write something ridiculous in the place of a name or whatever it might be, even if you end up writing BOB, or INSERT SOMETHING HERE. Those are still words that are being counted toward your word count, and the NaNo validator won't know any different!
  • It's okay to need and take a break
    Life happens. You have work, school, families, social lives, etc. As much as we all enjoy writing, sometimes those things have to be put first. Don't stress out over losing a day or a few hours or whatever
  • Reward yourself!
    Buy yourself some candy. Buy a new book to read each day after you've gotten your daily goal written. Rewards are good way to encourage yourself to keep going!
  • Get those 1,667 words a day minimum written if you can, but don't stress about writing every single day.
  • Try not to overthink things!
    Easier said than done, especially coming from me, queen of overthinking. If you feel yourself getting stuck, try to take a step back and think about what you're trying to accomplish with the scene that you're working on. 
  • Don't be afraid to ask for brainstorming help!
    If you're stuck on something, feel free to either post here in our brainstorming forum or in the brainstorming channel on the Discord server!