Jedi Knight Muse

Maps of your world!

So, I don't think we have a map thread yet.

These maps below are (HORRIBLE) maps that I made a few years ago (mostly out of boredom) for whatever project I was working on at the time. As you can see, I am absolutely awful at geography. :P But these are the only maps I have as examples at the moment. Keep in mind that I'm not looking for any kind of critique on them, 'cause they're old and they're definitely probably not accurate as far as placement goes and such.

kytherramap_zpsc23829c5.png

mapbase2_zps5f5fc6b1.png

mapbase1_zps444b7925.png

I tried to make a map for my current project (which takes place in the world of Kytherra but it doesn't have the same place names as on these maps- at least, not all of them, probably) last week following a tutorial but I got frustrated and gave up, so I don't even have that to show off.

Who else has made a map that they want to show off?

I really need to make another attempt at a map, even if I don't get the geography exactly correct. As long as I get the general idea of the placements down, it should at least give an idea of which place is where and such. I'm also apparently horrible at knowing where to place mountains and such.

I actually really like those maps. Really nice organic boundaries :)

I was tempted to post the geologic survey I just finished... but :P This is the fourth thing I did after I downloaded GIMP, and my goal is the fix it up this summer, so maybe I'll repost it later. I really don't draw enough maps anymore, used to be almost all I did besides fairies and dragons.

TerrinarMapAll_zpswgkumzpd.jpg

Haha, thanks. Do those boundaries actually make sense, geographically, though? I'm pretty sure I just placed them wherever. I think I followed at least two different tutorials (or maybe not, I don't even remember) to make them and I'm pretty sure I placed them wherever. :P

Oooh, I really like yours! Way better than mine. XD

Do those boundaries actually make sense, geographically, though? I'm pretty sure I just placed them wherever. I think I followed at least two different tutorials (or maybe not, I don't even remember) to make them and I'm pretty sure I placed them wherever.

Sure! Especially #3. I could propose a couple geologic models for that, assuming tectonics as we know it were to exist in that world. 'Cause anything goes in fantasy! If there were to be one thing geographically I'd question, it would be the number of land-locked seas/really big lakes in the first one (but I don't know the scale, and all that jazz).

Hmm. I wonder if I still have the PSD file for that one (the third one). I PROBABLY do. I should look and see if I can rearrange it to work better for the current version of Kytherra.

but I don't know the scale, and all that jazz

Haha, neither do I. :P Honestly, like I said, I think I just...placed them wherever. I can't remember if I actually drew those or if I used different map brushes that I found on DeviantArt and then traced over them. I think it might have been the latter. I'd be interested in seeing what you could come up with, though, if I gave you a general idea of where things should be. I kind of have an idea but I don't really know if it makes sense geographically or anything.

I'd be interested in seeing what you could come up with, though, if I gave you a general idea of where things should be. I kind of have an idea but I don't really know if it makes sense geographically or anything.

I could give it a shot :)

The Vale is a land isolated between impassable mountains and the sea. I'm working on my 3rd story set in this world. It is far from masterful and not as interesting as the others here, but it's working for me. The landmarks are spotty because I've only added places that I've actually used in the books - that leaves me room to have fun later.

The%20Vale.PNG

This doesn't have any of the place markets as they are in a little flux at the moment and the sea under the market for Cyrell is the Sea of Kedrin... Need to add that. I forgot. The sketch version is low quality because imgur crashed on the full file (original images are huge files...)

I'm currently working on a couple of more local maps. Especially in Eihäldär and Cyrell for now.

hgtVLm9h.jpg

qHrgZrCh.jpg

EDIT: this place is seriously huge. The journey from the western mountains to the Sea of Kedrin takes around six weeks for most.

I don't have any maps for my current projects, but I have one for an idea I started a while back. It's for Solis, a continent that has the same gods but is divided into different countries. It's just an attachment because I haven't uploaded it anywhere and I don't have time for Imugur right now, but I might edit this later.

Map_2.thumb.jpg.f143a3890a2406c194536c4732b9cd8e.jpg

Damn, I wish I was able to make maps half as good as all of yours.

141qyy0.png

So this isn't even close to being finished (clearly), but here's a general idea so far of what I've done for Illyria, which is where the Queen's Guards are and all that. If I had to pick a direction, I'd say it's probably in the west, but that could end up changing. I might end up doing a version without any of the texts (since I probably made those too big for the moment, anyway) and just give a general idea of where things are. I don't even really have any ideas for what's there...I know I have to stick a library somewhere near/within the capital city, I know that the mountains can either be seen from that library or from the training barracks (either works)...beyond that, I'm a bit clueless at the moment (though I also blame the fact that it's 1 AM and I'm tired). (Also, I originally had the word "Illyria" on the continent itself and then I moved it into the water.) 

I'll work on adding more to it tomorrow. I have to be at work for 9:45 AM so I need to go to bed somewhat soon.

Okay, so I still haven't gone to bed...I was trying to make more progress on this map.

But I think I'm getting hung up on what...I dunno, areas? I should/could be including on the map...like, deserts and grasslands and plains and forests and mountains and rivers and cities and villages are the things I can think of offhand, but mostly I'm talking about the things that are part of the actual land, like grasslands and deserts and such. Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

...I'm going to be dragging at work tomorrow, but that's okay. That's what naps after work are for.

2v8peg4.png

This is a NOT finished by any means general idea of where each place is located. I'm not even sure if this works/if I'm giving enough room for each place in terms of how large each one is but that's for me to figure out later.

I'd really be interested to know how y'all made your maps - both the software and the manner in which they were created.

I made mine in CC3+, and I began with just the basic shape, i.e., the isolation of the Vale, the valley-within-a-valley (the Wyverwind), Shadowhall, Dragonsrise, etc. Since then I've been adding features to it as I write each story. It's an organic map.  :)

I'd really be interested to know how y'all made your maps - both the software and the manner in which they were created.

I made mine in CC3+, and I began with just the basic shape, i.e., the isolation of the Vale, the valley-within-a-valley (the Wyverwind), Shadowhall, Dragonsrise, etc. Since then I've been adding features to it as I write each story. It's an organic map.  :)

Photoshop (lots of layers).

Start with the coastline. Add the shelf and create land and sea layers. Sketch in rivers, subtract from the land with feathering (same for lakes) and use the clouds function on the sea to create the perception of depth. Colour overlay. Move land to top. Another clouds function. Create duplicate layers for flat, hill, mountain and snow. Create a gradient overlay. More clouds. Different effects on the different layers. Move bits you like to the appropriate place and subtract. Snow is hard light while mountains I think were difference. Create a pair of layers for each forest, second masked to the first.

It takes a lot of time and it's easier to go through than just type out the process. Also, the exact figures depend on the effect and fluctuate through the map so overlays and opacities and exclusions all vary on region.

New layer for borders, create a subtraction for each country. Use glow and thin outlines with a 60% opacity overlay. Text is chosen font in gold (or silver) with strike and glow on appropriate colours to stand out. Opacity is 80%. Then add the rose and the long/lat lines

For the sketch map, I duplicated the lot, created a mask and background. Used a series of fantasy brushes on Deviant Art with commercial permissions and followed the atlas image to mark on features.  Changed some colours and the balance. Need to adjust the country borders but other than that, is all good.

Three days work.

Edit to add: the geography is nearly fixed. Just making minor tweaks now and missed an important feature. Places are being added fluidly and it's slowly evolving.

(lots of layers)

Definitely remember this being part of the process :) Lots and lots of layers.

Otherwise, though, I'm a traditional artist, and may as well have been using MS paint as compared to GIMP. I took a photo of a giant poster line art I did and just colored it in to best of my abilities. I tend to prefer doing my maps all by hand. Hoping attempt two will show a marked improvement though as far as digital modification goes :)

Photoshop (lots of layers).

Yup, this exactly- Photoshop CS6. I can't draw anything, so I have to rely on brushes...that's what I used for the two maps that I posted last night (the land mass of Illyria and the one with all four kingdoms/countries/whatever they are), is brushes that I found on DeviantArt. Then I actually did one of the steps that was in a tutorial I was trying to follow last week or the week before, which required being able to draw, and I gave the masses a stroke and bevel and emboss to make it pop out more. The mountains and castles and such are also brushes that I found on DeviantArt.

My biggest hurdles at the moment are figuring out what I want for the different areas I want on the map (like I mentioned last night in one of my replies), like grasslands and mountains and deserts and such, and figuring out the actual placement of those things. Like, I started to put a desert near the boarder in the upper left part of the map for Illyria and then I was like "...wait, can a desert actually be next to an ocean/sea/whatever?" and I had to Google that, because I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THESE THINGS. The only thing I really remember from freshman year geography is having to try and place which state was where on a map and...I don't even remember anything else.

I'm basically doing a lot of world building AS I make the map, because I don't have a lot of things figured out already- i.e. certain buildings beyond the barracks and the library, and anything else that might be important. So this will be fun. XD

I use a website called Inkarnate (http://inkarnate.com/). It's designed for fantasy worlds and tries to make it easy to include detail in your maps. I think it's still in beta right now, but it's still pretty cool.

HSCook, you should think about doing a video tutorial on that!

JayLee, I wish I was an artist. My attempts at hand-drawing a map would embarrass a first-grader.

Jedi Knight Muse, I have been continually adding to my map as I write stories. Trying to make the whole world complete before I start writing is just way too hard.

SecretRock, I've seen Inkarnate, but haven't tried it. I think I should!

JayLee, I wish I was an artist. My attempts at hand-drawing a map would embarrass a first-grader.

Everyone's an artist. Besides, the best thing about maps is that practically none of the lines even have to be straight. The messier, the better :)

Tyrannohotep[/member] So many maps! They're pretty :) Make me really curious about some of your stories.

This is a great post! I'd really appreciate it if people posted their maps here and explained which programme they used. I looked into designing my own, but not being artistic, I anticipated spending days on producing something I wouldn't be happy with. So, I got the designer who did my cover to do the map for me. I'm pretty happy with it, but I would still like to learn how to do it myself.

Unfortunately I can't post it because of the file size restriction.

ScribblerKat[/member] asked this earlier and some of us answered. :P I use Photoshop CS6. JayLee[/member] can draw but she also mentioned using Photoshop. There's a site that's in beta mode called Inkarnate that some people have used, too. I haven't used it before, but I plan on playing around with it when it's not in beta, 'cause it looks cool.

Yes  :P

I meant if you could see a map and what programme was used to create it, it would be helpful (to me) to decide which programme would be the best fit. I had a look at Inkarnate, looks suitable for D and D style campaigns, don't know if it's flexible enough to make author maps.

Dalriya_map_BW-Notexture.thumb.jpg.2b36628c68bbff1d938f2a544a2d8534.jpg